The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 PM

Question Aftermarket Humbuckers

Alright, got the guitar back today from a local luthier. I wanted to add a push/pull pot to my current setup. Well the bad news the stock humbuckers in the guitar are only 2 conductor. So, if I still want to do that setup I'll have to upgrade to 4 conductor humbucker setup.

With that being said, what are some good aftermarket 4 conductor humbuckers (i.e. WCR Crossroads, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Angus Young etc.) I was looking to get that 'PAF' sound. I mostly play classic rock and blues. If this helps, the whole reason I was trying to get the push/pull pot was because of Jimmy Page's LP, so that shows you want sound I was 'trying' to get. Any comments would be appreciated. I know you guys will lead me in the right direction.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM

I have a pair of WCR Filmores in my '59 Les Paul Reissue. I bought them for Classic Rock, and they are superb.
Taylor:K65CE;GSMC;XXX-BE;818e.Gibson: Sheryl Crow, '59 LP, Flamed 335; Froggy F-12& Dread. Martin D-41;Anderson: Crowdster and Cobra Tele.Parker: Mojo Bubinga.Suhr: Mary Kaye and Butterscotch T;PRS:Custom 24 10 Top; SC; 513 10 Top;DGT; Paul's Guitar; Studio Ten Top. Hamer: Talladego. Epi :Lennon Rev;Fender:'62 J Bass, '65 AVRI, '76 Strat, 50th Ann. Strat, '62 Jazz .
Old 02-22-2008, 12:28 PM

I asked Jim (WCR guy) and he said Crossroads/Darkburst would be my best bet. Now, I am trying to decide between Lollar Imperials and WCR Crossroads/Darkburst.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Lollar pickups have been highly regarded in the articles I've read (Vintage Guitar, etc.)
Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 PM

This is becoming a headache, now its between....

Lollar Imperials
Wolfetone Dr. Vintage or The Legend
WCR Crossroads/Darkburst
Old 02-22-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrateDMB21 View Post
This is becoming a headache, now its between....

Lollar Imperials
Wolfetone Dr. Vintage or The Legend
WCR Crossroads/Darkburst

Can you catch any sound clips of them? That might help.... Maybe do a little searching on YouTube?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 AM

If you like the pickups you have you can always have 4 conductor wiring installed. I had it done to my Truetone humbucker and it was no problem at all.

Good Luck
Old 02-23-2008, 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=zombywoof;1394235]If you like the pickups you have you can always have 4 conductor wiring installed. I had it done to my Truetone humbucker and it was no problem at all.

Good Luck[/QUOTE
]

Please tell me the advantage of doing that
Old 02-24-2008, 03:30 AM

The Duncan Seth Lover is available with 4-conductor wiring. The Seth, the '59, the Pearly Gates and the APH Alnico Pros will all get you great classic rock and blues tone.

Bill
Old 02-24-2008, 04:06 AM

[QUOTE=Taylorplayer;1394829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
If you like the pickups you have you can always have 4 conductor wiring installed. I had it done to my Truetone humbucker and it was no problem at all.

Good Luck[/QUOTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
]

Please tell me the advantage of doing that
You won't have to buy new pickups if you have the coils "split" to make your two conductor pickups into four conductors.
That's what Jimmy Page would have had to have done to his '50s Humbuckers, not because he was notoriously cheap, but because until people like him started experimenting, it never occured to anyone that there was any need for four conductors.
Hofner HF11 (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)
Lace Acela (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)

Hondo Banjo
Epiphone Masterbuilt banjo (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)
First Act Dulcimer
Oscar Schmidt Silvertone Autoharp
La Suprema Ukulele
First Act Lap Harp

I'll keep buying guitars, until I find one I know how to play!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM

The WCR Darkburst/Crossroads combination is hard to beat. Duncan's are good but just are not quite up to level of some of the "boutique" offerings.

I've always wanted to try Lollar's Imperials.

But...I do have a set of Sheptones going in my LP this week (when I can find time). These are some of the latest to hit the market and are said to be "IT". He also sells some of these on Ebay for under $200. Check out the demo clips. http://www.sheptone.com
Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
The WCR Darkburst/Crossroads combination is hard to beat. Duncan's are good but just are not quite up to level of some of the "boutique" offerings. http://www.sheptone.com
I don't know about that!

I've owned many vintage 50's and 60's Gibsons including three late 50's Les Pauls!

I've owned HB's from Lindy Fralin and I currently have some Tom Holmes HB's in my Les Paul Historic.....and they are not any better than a set of Duncan Antiquity HB's (which are handwound by Seymour or MJ in the Duncan Custom Shop) or, IMO, a stock Duncan Pearly Gates set or better still, a PG neck and Duncan Custom bridge.

The PG's and Custom come with 4 conductor cable stock.

Duncans are fabulous pickups...especially those from the SD Custom Shop.

Lew
Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Lew,

I should loan you my WCR Godwood Bridge pickup.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 PM

I'm also a fan of Seymour Duncan. I've never used "boutique" pickups, so I can't speak to those. But my experience with Seymour Duncan pickups has been pretty darned good. Hard IMO to ask much more from a pickup. Some of my favorites are the '59 humbucker(great vintage PAF tone) as well as their Little '59, which is a stacked version of their '59 that will fit in a single coil spot. My most fave, though, is their SH2 Jazz pickup. It's the finest sounding neck position pickup I've ever heard. I have this paired with a JB4(JB for Jeff Beck. This is Duncan's "hot-rodded humbucker" set) in my main guitar. Wonderful tone!This combo will do anything from jazz to country to hard rock, and do it well. In fact, I'm taking one of my guitars apart to refinish it, and I may switch the pickups in it(not duncans) with the '59 in the bridge and the SH2 Jazz in the neck. Should be sweet! Seymour Duncan is definately worthy of consideration.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
Lew,

I should loan you my WCR Godwood Bridge pickup.
I agree...you should!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification