The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Ellis, do you guys have any plans to build some guitars out of the new colored carbon fiber that is available? As I understand, layering paint on top of carbon fiber has a tendency to dampen the vibrations. It seems that using colored carbon fiber might allow some really unique looking guitars. But is the colored material as good?

JR
Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 AM

JR

People market a lot of things as "carbon" that aren't. They market a "white carbon" that is just colored fiberglass woven to have the carbon weave look. Most of the multi-colored materials use colored Kevlar (used in body armor) with carbon - Kevlar is used in ballistic applications because it absorbs energy very efficiently. However, New Mad, the carbon fiber mandolin company, and Rain Song have effectively used Carbon/Kevlar blends.

For us, we have talked about it, but aren't planning to do anything in the near term - if we do, we will make sure the guitars still sound great. If we get more requests, we will certainly take a closer look at it.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 AM

Ok I have to ask - do you have or plan to have any distributors in the UK, specifically south east UK?

I've been listening to the samples, drooling over the pictures and having very naughty dreams about these CA guitars ever since I first read about them, but so far I've had no luck finding one near enough to have a go on.

On the other hand, this *may* be a good thing, given that i'm not sure I'd be able to resist selling the kids in order to get quick cash to buy one if I played it.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:58 AM

Those look really nice. I like the understated look of the "player" series (my preference is the GX). I'd sure like to play one someday.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 AM

I had the pleasure of test driving 3 different models of these guitars while on vacation this year at Canyon Music Woodworks in Durango, Colo (great shop, by the way). It was my first experience with them and I must say that I was skeptical at first, and completely impressed afterward. Wonderful instruments.

Not currently in buy mode, but I will say I am no longer the least bit skeptical.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 AM

Thumbs up

Currently saving for a trip to Ireland, after that it'll be a worthy guitar and these have certainly peaked my interest!

Look great and the audio samples are fantastic! Innovation and forward sight for the win.

http://www.myspace.com/akacod
http://www.myspace.com/morphinelowrock
If I were to begin life again, I would devote it to music. It is the only cheap and unpunished rapture upon earth. ~Sydney Smith
Old 09-12-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archgimp View Post
Ok I have to ask - do you have or plan to have any distributors in the UK, specifically south east UK?

I've been listening to the samples, drooling over the pictures and having very naughty dreams about these CA guitars ever since I first read about them, but so far I've had no luck finding one near enough to have a go on.

On the other hand, this *may* be a good thing, given that i'm not sure I'd be able to resist selling the kids in order to get quick cash to buy one if I played it.
Keep your kids! I'm sure you'll get one in due time. This is the second question about guitars in the UK. We will eventually get there - if we keep getting requests, we may have to accelerate our plans. In the meantime, there we have a few US dealers that ship internationally some of them are; Gruhn Guitars, http://www.gruhn.com/ Elderly Instruments http://elderly.com/brand/20N_composite%20acoustics.html or Bellvue American Music, http://www.bellevueamericanmusic.com/ . They are all great dealers and would be happy to help.

Ellis
Old 09-12-2007, 06:21 PM

I read in one of the reviews that there is no truss rod and therefore no method to adjust neck relief. My assumption is that the stiffness of carbon fiber removes any chance of neck movement when changing tunings or string gauges. Is that true? If neck relief does change, is that considered a defect?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisS View Post
Keep your kids! I'm sure you'll get one in due time. .....

Ellis
I sure hope so, cos you know; I've got *three* kids already, and in all honesty, it's easy enough for me to make another one if I have to. Guitars can be tough to replace.

On a more serious note, thanks for the pointers to the online dealers. It's just a shame there's no bricks and mortar stores in the UK at this point, because it would certainly seem the culture over here is a lot more distrustful of buying online in general than the US, so couple that with the pretty new (and to my mind exciting) idea of Carbon guitars and I can't really see them making an impression over here until either a) some bricks and mortar shops begin carrying them or b) some indie artist starts using one. There's no alternative to holding something in your hands and not wanting to let go. Plus, if you could maintain a dollars-to-pounds cost based on the exchange rate instead of the usual american 'uplift' ($10 -> £10 making things TWICE THE PRICE in real terms) then I know you would be in the very sweetest of spots.

If I were to get one from one of those online dealers, I'm afraid people listening to the terrible way I play guitar would most likely be put off for life...

Still, thanks for answering my question and I truly hope you guys/gals do well, remember to let us know if you hit our lovely shores with stock
Old 09-13-2007, 01:59 PM

Smile New here, but about the CA guitars...

Howdy, Folks,

I'm new here, but a friend told me about this thread, and since I've been singing the praises of CA Guitars for almost four years now he thought I'd like to chime in. I bought my CA Legacy AE at Gruhn's almost four years back after being introduced to it by a great salesman, Billy Jackson. He let me wander around the store playing whatever I wanted and then said he wanted me to try something different. After two hours of sitting in the store playing this instrument I told Billy that I'd be calling him to order mine. Went home, sold two of my other guitars and called Billy. Since I received my CA I have sold the rest of my guitars because they were not being used at all and I've never looked back.

After forty years of playing I feel that, for me, this is the guitar that fills every need. I play fingerstyle and flat pick. I've played at home, on stage and have recorded with this guitar, indoors, outdoors, rainy days and dry. My Legacy is always a joy. It always sounds the same, stays in tune, and punches through the banjos and mandolins at the bonfire jams.

I only have one thing I'd like to change; I wish there were a sales rep here in New England, and I wish it were me. Here in Northern Vermont I've been the only person showing this guitar, and a lot of folks are interested, but we have no place to send them. I LOVE this instrument and feel that we could use some outlets here in the frozen north.

BTW; my comparisons include lots of guitars over the years, including some high-end brands that I really liked, but everyone has their own taste and reasons for liking a particular brand. I loved my Taylors, liked my J200 and Gibson Gospel, played some M's I liked a lot, but I LOVE this guitar!

Thanks for listening to my rave!!

Skip in VT
Old 09-13-2007, 02:50 PM

Skip,

Glad you are enjoying your guitar and thanks for making the post!!!

If you can provide the names of your favorite stores in the area, we will try to get somebody set-up. You can post the names or send them to [email protected].

Ellis
Old 09-13-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingace View Post
I read in one of the reviews that there is no truss rod and therefore no method to adjust neck relief. My assumption is that the stiffness of carbon fiber removes any chance of neck movement when changing tunings or string gauges. Is that true? If neck relief does change, is that considered a defect?
From their website, it says "Our necks are so strong and stiff that they never need adjusting, no matter what. You can play without buzzing – anytime, anywhere. They are also smooth and lightning fast as a result of our precision set-up."

But I'd like to know the answer to the question "if neck relief does change, is that considered a defect?" as well.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Ellis,

What gave you the idea that I'm enjoying this guitar?

I think the best place to start in Vermont would be Advance Music, the largest music store in the state. They are in Burlington, have a great staff and a fully stocked acoustic room, with guitars for all tastes and budgets. Their recent re-stocking of Taylors is a great addition and the folks there let me go in and play all the nice guitars whenever, but I've often suggested that they look in to CA. Seriously, I am a salesperson by profession, and they know me, so if you need someone to just go in and demonstrate, I'll be more than happy to do so! Gratis, of course; just for the pleasure of it all.

BTW; it's too bad I don't travel much anymore, because I've taken my guitars to China, India, Germany, England, Switzerland, Australia and some places I've probably forgotten. I can imagine the reception this would get in Beijing, where the people gather in the evenings in tunnels that pass under the inner ring road to play music. My Baby Taylor was fun there, but the CA would have blown them away.

All the best.

Skip
Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Default I forgot...

Anyone in the northern Vermont or upstate NY area that would like to try a CA, please drop me a line. I like to meet people, and am always happy to let folks play my instruments.

Pax

Skip
Old 09-13-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Those look really nice. I like the understated look of the "player" series (my preference is the GX). I'd sure like to play one someday.
Agreed. A Player series GX would be a nice addition! I'll keep the kids though, but anyone wanna buy a yellow lab, shepherd mix?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber