The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Any opinions of the VG99?

I've been playing around with this at GC. Through headphones the unit sounds amazing and the alternate tunings and acoustic guitar simulations are quite convincing.

Anyone have any further thoughts?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
I've been playing around with this at GC. Through headphones the unit sounds amazing and the alternate tunings and acoustic guitar simulations are quite convincing.

Anyone have any further thoughts?
My thoughts are that I wish I had the money to get one. I watched the demos and was pretty impressed. I have my eyes on a NOS VG-88 at a local store. I can probably do a trade and not part with any $$$ for it. I have a VG-8 and enjoyed using it to layer with other signal chains.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Hi,

I went for the VG-99 right before christmas. My live setup (in a p&w band) now consists of just the VG99 (on the Roland stand and with foot controller) and my Custom strat which I upgraded with the Roland Gk3 pickup. Lacking a keyboarder, our band is very glad about and impressed with the vg99's possibilities. And I have to say that the acoustic sounds of the vg99 are really convincing.

Switch to 12-string, nylon, mandolin, banjo, open tunings(!), it's all there.

Many great sounds in the piece of gear! Give it a try. I wouldn't necessarily use it for fingerstyle solo work, but for acoustic sounds in a band context it does its job fine! plus the whole bunch of electric guitar gear, some synth sounds and much more.

Bye,
Lars
Composite Acoustics GX Aura
Takamine TAN77
--------------------------------------------------
Old 03-02-2008, 02:16 PM

itsLars,
Do you find the alternate tunings convincing?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Hi,

generally I dig the alternate tunings in the vg99. I used them for example for some slide parts in open G on a (virtual) resonator guitar. It's alot of fun at least. I didn't care too much if it's authentic, as it was kinduffa fun part in that song.

Dadgad and open D work fine as well....but I normally use these tunings for fingerstyle solo work which I would rather play on a real acoustic guitar. The guitar I use with the GK3 synth-pu is a strat type electric guitar and that simply does not deliver the right feel (neck, string spacing, etc.) for fingerstyle stuff.

By the way, as well alot of fun is to play guitar and bass at the same time by choosing a preset which delivers a bass sound on the lower e- and a-string and a standard guitar sound on the other strings. So many things to explore with the vg99...I enjoy it alot.

Our bass player hates me, though ;-)

Bye,
Lars
Composite Acoustics GX Aura
Takamine TAN77
--------------------------------------------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification