The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Standard Model
60's neck
desert burst...

mmmmmmmmmmmm....
Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
Standard Model
60's neck
desert burst...

mmmmmmmmmmmm....
Exactly my choice, too, Dylan.
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 AM

Best LP buy for your buck....

Les Paul Standard Faded. I prefer the 50s neck. Mine is a honey burst....

Should be able to pick one up new for around $1,500.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you want an LP Standard Faded, better jump. They've been discontinued.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-17-2008, 07:09 PM

i don't think anybody else said, but the "standard plus" models I think from 2001-2003??? they have grover tuners standard and a flame top, I got one on ebay in 2002 I think, maybe 2003 for 1500$... they can be found for around there, maybe 1750$. I am not sure if I recall correctly, maybe I am not allowed to put prices like that. If so, mods please remove prices, and I apologize in that case. I've had mine for a while, love it to death! I think it's the "swiss cheese" config though with weight relief holes in the mahogany body but I don't care, it sounds great. Recently been considering some seymour-duncan pickups though.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM

One thing to watch in terms of re-sale value: about a year ago or so (I'm really not too sure about the timeframe), Gibson began to put "tone chambers" in at least some of the USA Les Pauls. As I recall, that raised a tremendous hue and cry from Les Paul fanatics, and there was concern that the guitars with tone chambers would not hold their value as well as the guitars produced before.

I'm not sure if that's still a big concern or not. I'm also not sure the tone chambers affect the tone at all. I AM sure that they make Les Pauls feel more like guitars and less like boat anchors after three hours.

06 Taylor 410-CE
98 Fender Am Std tele
07 Ibanez AS-73
08 Fender Roadhouse strat
Fender DRRI
a few other assorted guitars and amps
Old 02-18-2008, 06:38 AM
heros57

Default Thanks!!

Lots of good stuff to consider .. Thanks guys . Now it's on with the thrill of the chase.........Don
Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Also...
Check the Heritage H-150CM models...
Less dough, big bang for the buck. Old Gibson factory in Michigan.
I second that emotion...

I bought a real nice 20th anniversary H-150 used for a reasonable price and it is a wonderful piece of tree. Made with love and care in the Kalamazoo Gibson factory by Gibby old-timers. It has been my staple electric for about 6 months now.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
The Epiphone Elitist LP got a nice review in Guitar Player mag, and there are usually a few on Ebay...
I have two '58 RI's and two '59 RI's , and hardly ever play them because I can't get used to the large necks. My favorite humbucker guitars are Paul Reed Smiths and Hamers...
As a matter of fact I bought a new one of these last week and I'll tell you why. I've played many Les Pauls and as far as I'm concerned the 60's neck and the layout of the pickups and knobs relative to where my hand rests and plays, and the size make the Les Paul the best designed electric guitar--except for the weight. I have never been able to get comfortable with the weight of a Les Paul. So I've gone the Fender route and have owned a number of Stratocasters. I love the c-shaped strat neck and the body shape fits like a glove and the size is just right---but---the location of the pickups and knobs and selector lever drive me nuts. I constantly hit them and am always having to consciously adjust how I play to avoid them. So I got rid of my last Strat, an American deluxe, last year and after a lot of looking and evaluating, decided on a Gibson 335-type (though I really wanted a Les Paul--if they could just loose some weight). The 335's are also fairly heavy but the weight distribution makes them more comfortable to play sitting down. I ended up ordering a custom made Heritage guitar which beats the Gibson in every way.

However, a week ago I was in Nashville and visited the Gibson showroom store. Again, I played a number of Les Pauls, again re-affirmed how much better the Heritage is than the new Gibson 335's, then this Epiphone Les Paul Ultra caught my eye...a real beautiful guitar. I picked it up and was amazed at how light it was. Well that pushed my button so I had to go play it, and I did for about 30 minutes and I was astonished.

This guitar is light and comfortable. It has a place carved out in the back so that, like a Strat but unlike a regular Les Paul, it doesn't cut into your stomach when you are sitting. The neck is the best feeling neck on any electric guitar I have ever played. Its slim and slightly smaller than the Les Paul 60's neck--way nicer and easier than the Strat neck. The sound from the pickups was surprisingly good though I'm sure it could be improved with some better pickups. Fit and finish were very nice.

One thing I found out about this guitar is that the bridge is an improvement, like a Tone-Pros bridge, over the standard Tune-O-Matic bridge since both the bridge and stop bar are locked into place while also being adjustable.

If you are interested in a Les Paul but weight and comfort is a concern, you owe it to yourself to try out one of these Epiphone Ultras. You can always upgrade pickups, though the ones that come with it sound pretty good as they are.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Regular Guy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirflyguy2000 View Post
From a shootout I read in Guitar Player, the Epiphone LP's are a great value, and, if the pickups are replaced, can be almost in the same ball park tone and feel wise as a real Gibson.

I think there's one for sale in the Classified Forum...with the Gibson Pickups...real good price too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification