The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM

Default K & K Pure W/Mini into an LR Baggs preamp?

Would it be possible to tap a K & K pure Western mini into the LR Baggs dual source preamp, instead of the mic? That would give me the Baggs UST and the K & K mini, with the Baggs sound-hole blender. Or, it would give me the K & K mini, plus the Baggs mic, with the Baggs sound-hole blender.

Any help with the above would be appreciated.

Oakson
Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 PM

No, I'm pretty sure there will be an impedance and/or volume problem replacing an onboard mic with a K&K

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakson View Post
Would it be possible to tap a K & K pure Western mini into the LR Baggs dual source preamp, instead of the mic? That would give me the Baggs UST and the K & K mini, with the Baggs sound-hole blender. Or, it would give me the K & K mini, plus the Baggs mic, with the Baggs sound-hole blender.
Hi Oakson...
Someone here wired their K&K to the pickup side of a dual-source built-in rig and it works just fine. Dieter will tell you there is a 50/50 chance the piezo will be out of phase, but it's a free experiment if you do the work.

The other consideration is if you are replacing a mic you may want to check with Dieter to see if there is any issue with phantom power going to the K&K (and I'm not sure it would hurt anything if it did). It may just be a loopy idea on your part, or it may work...it's your time, your guitar and your idea. If it works, we all learn something new that is helpful, and if it doesn't, we all learn something new that's useful.

Have you considered leaving the mic and wiring in the K&K in place of the undersaddle? That would permit you to simply hook it up and try it, with none of the considerations listed above. It would also permit the saddle slot to house just the saddle.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Any help with the above would be appreciated.

Oakson
Won't work. The input impedance of the mic channel wil be in the 10k range +-. That pickup will sound very very anemic at best. Also, that circuit will be providing (about) 9v + and - to power the (non-existent) mic. That shouldn't harm a pickup though.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:39 AM

Thanks to Sdelsolray, and Ljguitar and the others for your replies. I suspected that replacing the internal mic with the Pure W/mini wouldn't work. The other part of my original question/plea, was whether or not the Baggs UST could be replaced with the Pure western mini. I'm not a stranger to soldering, so if it's only a matter of soldering some wires, it might be worth a try. If there's a compatibility issue, then that's a horse of a different color (or a pickup of a different impedence). What say you?

Oakson
Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks to Sdelsolray, and Ljguitar and the others for your replies. I suspected that replacing the internal mic with the Pure W/mini wouldn't work. The other part of my original question/plea, was whether or not the Baggs UST could be replaced with the Pure western mini. I'm not a stranger to soldering, so if it's only a matter of soldering some wires, it might be worth a try. If there's a compatibility issue, then that's a horse of a different color (or a pickup of a different impedence). What say you?
Hi Oakson...
As mentioned before, it's been done successfully by someone in this forum. I'd say it's a realistic possibility. In fact, I'd say it would improve your sound and give you a more typical dual source configuration.

I own three guitars configured with a K&K Pure Western Mini paired with a mic, and they sound fabulous.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Sounds like it's worth a try!

Thanks, Oakson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification