The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Default Anyone using a BBE Sonic Stomp with your acoustic rig?

How do you like it? What pickup, preamp, other pedals are you using?

I recently tried the Acousticmax, and while I liked the Sonic Maximer to a degree (took the edge off and added a natural fullness), I didn't care for the EQ section.

Thinking about picking up a Sonic Stomp and running it with my Baggs PADI. K&K Pure Standards in a Taylor 810.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:03 AM

To my ears, the best tone I have ever gotten was a 714CE going to a Sonic Stomp, going to a Bose L1 system (model 1). Without the sonic stomp it lacked a certain......fullness. I personally love the pedal and wouldn't use my guitar without it. I have an acoustimax right now because I needed an EQ in my setup, and now I'm thinking about ditching it and just using the Sonic Stomp. Seriously, it's that good.

Now, as a disclaimer, the tone I am seeking is not the typical "pure acoustic tone" so my opinion is definitely biased toward a more punchy, big sound.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Jamison...another stomp box to look at is the Aphex Acoustic Exciter. Some love them...some don't. I've been using one for about 2 years and it really helps the tone IMO. Haven't tried the BBE Stomp but I have tried the BBE Acoustamax and when A-B ing that against the Aphex I opted for the Aphex. If you haven't bought the BBE yet go try both pedals out first. The Aphex has a balanced out plus will run on phantom power through that out, which is pretty nice.

Jim
Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM

Yes, I use one with my Taylor T-5 & 312ce. Sounds fuller.
"98" Taylor 855
"70" Martin D35
"01" Paul Reed Smith Custom 22
"08" Paul Reed Smith Semi Hollow SE Custom
"83" Fender Telecaster
"86" Fender Stratocaster plus
"94" Fender Jazz Bass

MESA Caliper 50+ Amp
http:www.myspace.com/jeffreiner
Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
Jamison...another stomp box to look at is the Aphex Acoustic Exciter. Some love them...some don't. I've been using one for about 2 years and it really helps the tone IMO. Haven't tried the BBE Stomp but I have tried the BBE Acoustamax and when A-B ing that against the Aphex I opted for the Aphex. If you haven't bought the BBE yet go try both pedals out first. The Aphex has a balanced out plus will run on phantom power through that out, which is pretty nice.

Jim
Wow, thanks Jim. I've seen these pedals past couple yrs but never paid any attention to them. So you really think the Aphex sounds better than the BBE?
Any idea how these units would compare to say running through a Presonus TubePre?

I'm sure any of these would add warmth and fullness when ran through the Baggs PADI.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Well like I said, some folks love them and others don't...you just need to try one out and see for yourself. I run mine through the effects loop on my Fishman Pocket Blender, which then unfortunately doesn't let me take advantage of the phantom power and I have to use a wall wart but it sounds just fantastic. Get your best tone tuned in without it and then engage it and tweak. It never ceases to amaze me how great it sounds. The comment I hear most about the unit is that it sounds like you're taking a blanket off of your sound. It really opens up the acoustic space if you will. I leave it on all the time. It's not really an effect as much as a must have enhancement for me. The BBE Acoustamax was ok as a pre-amp but to my ears not even close to the Aphex in it's "Maximizer" mode. Plus maybe it was just me but I felt it also had a slight line hum. I'm not very technical so what I'm saying is to what my ears hear...to me this thing is an indispensable part of my sound.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:36 PM

Awesome. How do you like the Fishman preamp, ever owned the Baggs PADI. Does the Aphex not take batteries at all, is it 9v, or do you have to use the wall wart with it. Does it also take the "edge" off of pick attack? Even though I'm running a K&K and PADI, I still hear that plasticy, fake, metallic sound on the pick attack. The BBE really helped to take that away and made is sound much more natural. Of course, as mentioned, the Acoustimax was noisy. Especially the footswitches...man the popped and bleeped very noticable..the mute and SM button both. I wouldn't want the audience to ever hear that sound. Reason enough right there for me not to keep it.

Of course, I'm running dead strings and my factory Tusq nut that I stuck back in there months ago while I was waiting on a new bone saddle replacement (chipped the old one).

I think I'll really be pleased with how new strings, bone saddle, PADI with Aphex in the loop is gonna sound.

I also need some new bridge pins, mine are loose from so many string changes. What do you guys recommend?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Yes the Aphex runs off of a 9volt battery (eats em quick) or wall wart when your using the unbalanced out and you can use phantom power from the PA if you use the balanced out. It's a funny little configuration. A "wet-dry" button on the back to engage the effect when using the balanced out. Otherwise the stomp switch when using the battery or wall wart. It also has a 10bd boost switch for passive pickups which is a nice feature. Here's a link to the Aphex site with sound bites to check out. Since it actually works as a DI box you may find you don't even need the PADI unless you need the EQ functions. Not sure if you mentioned whether your guitar was passive or active PU.

http://www.aphex.com/demo1401.htm

Hope this helps

Jim
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
Yes the Aphex runs off of a 9volt battery (eats em quick) or wall wart when your using the unbalanced out and you can use phantom power from the PA if you use the balanced out. It's a funny little configuration. A "wet-dry" button on the back to engage the effect when using the balanced out. Otherwise the stomp switch when using the battery or wall wart. It also has a 10bd boost switch for passive pickups which is a nice feature. Here's a link to the Aphex site with sound bites to check out. Since it actually works as a DI box you may find you don't even need the PADI unless you need the EQ functions. Not sure if you mentioned whether your guitar was passive or active PU.

http://www.aphex.com/demo1401.htm

Hope this helps

Jim

Passive K&K. I like the EQ feature set of the PADI. Plus I actually like boosting the bass and the notch allows you to do that without feedback. Also the scooped mids are a nice touch. Thanks on the Aphex link. Looked at it earlier but didn't check out the clips.

Last edited by jamison162; 02-27-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:49 PM

I've gotten bone saddles and pins from him in the past. I was actually looking for ebony pins but they may also be loose (if I get the standard size from say Taylor). I think it's the pin holes that have enlarged to where they don't fit snug...not that the pins have shrunk in diameter.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:26 AM

I run my acoustic through the rack version and to my ears it makes a huge difference. I imagine the pedal version would be similar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification