The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
For four or five days I'll just go without playing, but a week or more I really want to be able to play. And I love playing electric every bit as much as acoustic, so for me there's no real sacrifice to it. This clearly doesn't work if you're doing a trip where you have to pack up and move every night or two, but we almost never do trips like that. We like to go someplace and stay put once we get there to get a bit more of a feel for the place, rather than bouncing from site to site.
I think this is really the key point about "travel" guitars. The first step is to define what your traveling will be, and what sacrifices/trade offs you're prepared to make.

For some people, traveling by air may mean a single trip every few months where they will stay in one place for a week or two. If that were me, I'd go with a Journey or Furch or Voyager, or maybe your idea of an electric and a Fly 3.

for others, the word "travel" may mean catching a flight once every week or two and staying just a couple of days or so. If that person (like me) wants something to pass the time pleasantly or practice (and checking a suitcase isn't a realistic option), then the ultra-compact or folding (and light) options are probably more suited.

But I think the first step should not be deciding what guitar has the best tone or size, but what type of "travel" you'll be doing, and then figure out which guitars are the best fit for your purposes.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:10 PM

i have one of these....perfect for travel and staying in hotels...easy to transport...allows me to keep my chops up...doesnt disturb my wife when she falls asleep....

https://www.voyageairguitar.com/imag...lair-ver-1.jpg
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 06-17-2019, 01:18 PM

If I wanted an inexpensive travel companion that I could entertain myself and others with and also use to practice fundamental skills that would maintain and likely improve my skills on guitar, I'd take along a 300 series Eastman mandolin. No question about it.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderball View Post
i have one of these....perfect for travel and staying in hotels...easy to transport...allows me to keep my chops up...doesnt disturb my wife when she falls asleep....

https://www.voyageairguitar.com/imag...lair-ver-1.jpg
Wow, yeah, that's awesome. Actually not that different than the P90 tele I use, but much easier to fold / unfold than mine is to remove and replace the neck. I'd never seen those before - I tried a couple of the "traveler" guitars and hated playing them - just couldn't get comfortable. But this looks like it folds out into something really close to a full size instrument. I don't know if I'll ever be in the market for one, but that could realistically be the P90 guitar for your stable that also happens to fold up for travel...
Old 06-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
I've said it many times before, and I'll say it now..
pretty tough to beat a VoyageAir.

I have 3 of them currently and have owned a half dozen previously.
When I see one, I tend to buy it, and then pass them on to friends.
The 04 and 06 models have laminate back and sides and a Solid Spruce top, and sound quite good.
I keep an 02 model (all laminate) cuz it's less susceptible to the top cracking, and it goes camping, air travel,
and sometimes gets left all day in the car.

Full size guitars that play well and sound remarkably good...really.
So I’m not the only guy with more than one voyage air! Om04 and om02. Full scale and 1.75 nut width. Got both used for much less $ than new. Put gotoh 510 minis, bone saddle, and elixir nano 12s on them. Have one deluxe case and one standard case, but prefer the deluxe with laptop section removed because it’s smaller for travel. Never had a problem fitting it overhead. They get played regularly even when I’m not traveling.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 PM

What about that Fender Paramount that they are selling for $300? Recording King makes a solid Spruce/Hog parlor guitar for $180.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM

Another Voyage-Air fan. Mine has seen a lot of air travel in the overhead bin. It’s electrified so I’m covered for anything. After four years of travel it’s only got a few minor dings in the top.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
My thinking right now is that, instead of "compromising a little" on tone for a smaller guitar, I might as well go for no tone (at least when unplugged) and maximum portability. If I'm honest with myself, "compromising a little" on tone means I won't be ultimately satisfied with that guitar. So I might as well go with no expectations on tone, and focus on portability and versatility.
I have been searching for something for travel (thread here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=548679 ), and was thinking along the same lines as TokyoNeko. That is, portability over tone. I was thinking about a Traveler Ultra Light, but then Fazool weighed in with his experience with one of those (thread here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=468440 ) in which, among other things, he commented on the awkwardness of virtually "playing a neck only", with no body to counterbalance it.

Taking Fazool's experience to heart, I ordered a used Traveler Escape Mk III:

As you can hear, it is not going to score an A+ in tone. On the other hand, it fits in my suitcase, has a very comfortable (for me) neck, and all I have to do is plug in my headphones. It even has a built-in tuner, and an aux in for playing along to recordings or backing tracks.

I got a used one in great condition from GC that, after shipping and taxes, came to just over $300. I have two weeks in Europe coming up in three weeks, so I'll soon see how it travels. This solution might work for you.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Default VoyageAir VA-OM6

Is this an appropriate place to mention that I have a VA-OM6 that I reluctantly need to part with? (It certainly seems like a relevant place!)

If it's not, sincere apologies, and I'll get a post up in classifieds. If it is, go ahead and PM me for details (distress price) and photos.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whbriggs View Post
Is this an appropriate place to mention that I have a VA-OM6 that I reluctantly need to part with? (It certainly seems like a relevant place!)

If it's not, sincere apologies, and I'll get a post up in classifieds. If it is, go ahead and PM me for details (distress price) and photos.
The reason I don't travel with my Voyage Air anymore is because it doesn't fit in most overheads on the flights I take.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 PM

A few of my musician friends here in Nashville use th L-00 sized guitars made by The Loar and love them. They're small yet good quality. Many of them gig with them overseas.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 06-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
The reason I don't travel with my Voyage Air anymore is because it doesn't fit in most overheads on the flights I take.
Precisely. And it's too big to fit underneath the seat in front of you. Unless you're on a larger plane (mainly for international flights, where there's a mad scramble to find overhead space if you can't board early), it's just not practical to carry on. And if you need to travel light, having a HUGE extra backpack (in addition to your other luggage) can be quite a challenge.

I don't mean to put down Voyage Airs (and I used to own one), but they aren't as travel-friendly as advertised, at least when it comes to air travel.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Harmonica!
Old 06-18-2019, 04:04 PM

I have a Journey OF420B (b for burst), and it is well within the TSA and airline limits for carry-ons. I have never had to check it, even in small, regional jets. It's a bit more of a hassle to collapse and put back together than the Voyage-Air, but the fact that it fits is very important to me.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Cool I just check it...

Maybe this works well because I don't fly often. I know that luggage can get lost, and I'd never pack away my camera gear, which usually is worth at least twice the guitar I travel with. But give me a sub>$300 guitar and a sturdy case, and I'm happiest with it riding below, in cargo. If it doesn't arrive, it's insured, and I have too many low-value guitars anyway.

I used to fly with a mandolin, which fit up there pretty well. But parlor and travel guitars aren't all that compact, once they're tucked into good cases. Your guitar might be a few inches smaller than a dred, but to the rest of the plane, you're still trying to hog half of a cargo bin meant to be used by four other people. You're probably paying for preferential boarding, just to snag a space. Why not spend that money on a better case? I'm confident using my Godin TRIC case, which surrounds the guitar with a couple inches of crash-helmet-quality foam.

Gotta admit that I do admire that suitcase Strat setup. The Blackfly is a unique and fun amp, half pedalboard and half speaker. It gives volume, without volume! And the AUX-in and headphone-out configuration allows you to go all Hendrix at your mother-in-law's house, if you need. Hey, I'm going to that very place next week- maybe I need to duplicate this?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 06-18-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: punctuation

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion