The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 06:57 AM

I cannot help but think it was the internet which breathed new life into the Harmony Sovereign. Once upon a time the Sovereign was a natural step in a progression which ultimately led to a Martin or a Gibson. Once we got there they were discarded. Into the 1990s you could not give a Harmony away. They remained in the hands of us geezers who still owned them or were picked up by those who were starting to get twinges of nostalgia for the guitars we had played early on in our musical journey. Why I held onto to mine I do not have a clue. I played it up to the point the neck got too inky to deal with and then stashed it away. As I owned a National Duolian I did not need a guitar for bottleneck and figured it was not worth the cost of a neck reset as I could buy a Sovereign with a good neck for a whole lot less than the work would cost. Then folks found out that Page, Townsend, Rory, and Keef played the six and twelve string versions. All of a sudden the Sovereign became cool. Interest and demand went up along with prices. Then came a nice little cottage industry dedicated to conversions. Who would have thunk it.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 AM

I have my dad’s 1969 Harmony Soveriegn H1260. It was pretty beat up when I found it under the stairs, but I had the crack glued, pickguard replaced, and neck adjusted. It sounded/looked pretty good after.

Phil

1969 Harmony Sovereign H1260
1974 Martin 000-18
2014 Martin HD-28V
2018 Martin 000X1AE
2018 Taylor 150e
2009 Fender American Special Telecaster

Last edited by dermeister1331; 05-30-2018 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-30-2018, 12:24 PM

Harmony was not a "wanna be". Silvertone and Airline were simply different brands used on the same guitars produced by Harmony for Sears and Montgomery Ward.

Back in those days there was a serious price gap between a Harmony and pretty much any other acoustic guitar such as Martin, or Gibson, or Guild, etc.

Sure a Harmony wasn't the overall quality or play-ability or anything else that a guitar costing 4-5 times as much was. But, in many, many cases if it weren't for Harmony, a lot of us wouldn't have had access to any sort of guitar at all.

That's why there is a continued affection for the brand and particularly for nice examples of the all solid wood 1220 Sovereign models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I suppose the Harmony brand was of some importance back in the day but I didn't see them that way then and still don't. To me it was a Silvertone or Airline acoustic guitar wannabe that just didn't fill the role I could accept for a serious acoustic guitar. Now they get infrequent attention and kudos for some reason. But, all things vintage in nature get that kind of attention.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 05-31-2018, 08:14 AM

Half the kids in my town had Sovereigns, and I'm sure a lot of them still do. In "Animal House," if Stephen Bishop had been playing a Sovereign the eventual outcome may have been the same, but Belushi would have had to work a lot harder.

Couch Standards
Old 05-31-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Harmony was not a "wanna be". Silvertone and Airline were simply different brands used on the same guitars produced by Harmony for Sears and Montgomery Ward.
Harmony also built guitars for Aldens under the Holiday brand.

Sears actually owned Harmony up to 1940 when the house brand was Supertone. After the head of Harmony bought the company back, Sears initially went with Kay for about year which produced guitars for them under the Crest name. With Harmony no longer under Sears ownership, they were free to supply other mail order houses while Sears went with Harmony and Kay to build Silvertone badged guitars.

Last edited by zombywoof; 05-31-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:15 PM

Default John Sebastian

I just noticed, in the Woodstock movie John Sebastian is playing a Sovereign.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I suppose the Harmony brand was of some importance back in the day but I didn't see them that way then and still don't. To me it was a Silvertone or Airline acoustic guitar wannabe that just didn't fill the role I could accept for a serious acoustic guitar. Now they get infrequent attention and kudos for some reason. But, all things vintage in nature get that kind of attention.
A friend and band mate had a Sovereign that lived in the common room of the building where the band lived, back in 1978. It was kept there in case anyone got an idea and wanted to work it out. I used to play it and just shake my head, wondering why it punched so much above its weight. They get attention because they sounded good. I have still never heard the reason why.

Other Harmonies you can pee on IMHO.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 02-05-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPGH View Post
I just noticed, in the Woodstock movie John Sebastian is playing a Sovereign.
Apparently it was on loan from Tim Hardin.
Here's John posing with the guitar at Woodstock.

And here's Tim Hardin with it ... looks like at the same event!

... and welcome to the AGF.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-05-2019, 06:11 PM

I don’t have one of these but I have considered buying one of the X braced conversions done by Scott Baxendale. Anyone own a Baxendale Harmony Conversion? The few I’ve heard online sound very good.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 02-05-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
I don’t have one of these but I have considered buying one of the X braced conversions done by Scott Baxendale. Anyone own a Baxendale Harmony Conversion? The few I’ve heard online sound very good.
On another forum I used to visit (the Soundhole), one of the contributors specialized in restoring and selling old Harmonys. I wonder if it's the same chap. Long shot, I know.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:15 PM

If i'm not mistaken, Jimmy Page played a Sovereign for the acoustic parts in the first 4 albums.
That solidifies it as a proper acoustic, imho.

I think if I was going to look for a deal on one, i'd go with the H1265.

https://reverb.com/item/5046232-harm...-1968-sunburst
Old 02-05-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
If i'm not mistaken, Jimmy Page played a Sovereign for the acoustic parts in the first 4 albums.
That solidifies it as a proper acoustic, imho.

I think if I was going to look for a deal on one, i'd go with the H1265.

https://reverb.com/item/5046232-harm...-1968-sunburst
He definitely played the Sovereign on several acoustic Zep songs but I’m not sure he played that model exclusivities on them.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 02-05-2019, 08:06 PM

A buddy just bought a Sovereign Deluxe. It is a sunburst with double pickguards. It sounds really nice from what I've heard online.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Ian Tamblyn has a few Harmony Sovereigns. One of these is strung up in Nashville tuning (high-strung) and he plays it at almost every gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnxdDZUuybY
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest 1928 View Post
Here's our H1203 flea market find from about 15 years ago. It is all original except for the pick guard which was missing. I made that one to match the footprint of the original. Homer Ledford reset the neck. It really is a wonderful guitar.
This was my second guitar, which I bought for $25 around 1963-64. My first guitar was a Stella "finger-bleeder," that I bought for $5. I sometimes miss the Harmony, but I never miss the Stella!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion