The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2019, 06:56 AM

Default DI post & pre question Genz Benz

Hi,

I've got a Genz Benz Shen 150LT and on the back there is a choice of 'Pre EQ' DI for each of the 2 channels separately, or a combined 1&2 channels 'Post EQ'.

The manual for the 150LT states:

Quote:
Separate Channel 1 and Channel 2 outputs are post channel volume/pre EQ/pre effects (to take advantage of the dual inputs on each channel) while the Channel 1+2 output is post master volume/post eq/post effects to aid in sending a “finished” mixed signal to a PA system or external power amplifier
I'm wondering whether this is a 'typo' as for me the Master volume never affects the volume sent to the DI/Mixing desk but the Channel Gain ALWAYS affects the volume sent to DI/Mixing desk whether pre or post.

I was hoping to have had a 'Thru' type of DI - and this works for me by adjusting my 'monitor' volume with the Master Vol knob which doesn't affect the volume sent to the Mixer. Just wondering why the manual says the 1&2 combined are post Master when that's not the case for me.......

Has anyone else noticed this on their GB amp?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by JazzyJ; 06-17-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:06 PM

Yes, there is a typo. Instead of master volume, it should say channel volume. The 150LT DI 1+2 post output is post everything EXCEPT master volume.

That said, there are some cases where summing and output processing may be tied directly to the master volume amp, especially if summing is done within that stage. It's not terribly common, but there can be good reasons for doing this under certain conditions. In this case, there's usually a way to get a pre master volume output, but it may not include effects.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:43 AM

Thanks for that, it's given me the clarity I needed.

I love my Genz Benz amps, but am looking at different ways of monitoring depending on circumstances and so have been trying to understand exactly how the amp works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification