The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-01-2019, 10:06 AM

Default APSE Matte Finish

Hey, Guys - Just picked up a Rainsong APSE and and am enjoying it. One of its "features" is its unique dull matte finish. The care instructions that come with it are the same ones as the high-gloss models and include using "a high grade, non-abrasive automotive detailing product such as Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Final Inspection 34 or Quik Detailer".

I worry that using a high gloss product on the matte finish will damage it. Wondering what some of the veteran APSE owners have found.

- Frank
Old 06-01-2019, 10:55 AM

The key term there is "non-abrasive." Many gloss-finish cleaners use a mild micro-abrasive to maintain the glossy finish, like re-applying a very fine-grit finish every time you clean. For a matte finish, you want to avoid those abrasive cleaners at all cost. There are lots of automotive cleaners that are made safe for matte finishes, I would look into those.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:36 AM

I don't know about the APSE but I regularly use Meguiar's Quik Detailer to clean my Rainsong Smokey. It is still as matte as it was when I bought it.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 06-01-2019, 11:52 AM

I can see avoiding abrasives. I'd also worry that any product that left a wax or polish residue would create a problem.

Thanks Mountainmaster for noting your experience. I didn't realize the Smokey was a matte finish - I asume similar to the APSE. Sounds like Meguiar's Quick Detailer is a safe place to start given your results.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

The instructions are from Rainsong and came with the guitar?

I’d go with the old “try it on a small unimportant area”, or just trust the manufacturer. Or call them directly for a discussion of your concerns.

I have an APLE. It’s a great guitar. I just clean it with a damp cloth, and dry it with a dry cloth.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

I like Mark's approach. I sometimes use micro fiber pads, but they are abrasive and are avoided. When younger, and poor, with wooden guitars, I'd use toothpaste--worked good, smelled nice.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I don't know about the APSE but I regularly use Meguiar's Quik Detailer to clean my Rainsong Smokey. It is still as matte as it was when I bought it.
Plus 1 on that !!!!!!! Works for me as well
Old 06-04-2019, 09:30 AM

I find just a simple cotton cloth with a little moisture wipes down the RS just fine, I had the APSE and APLE and found it worked just great on the Matt as well as the gloss.
Auto products work but most have petroleum distillate in them and I don't care for the stuff near me when playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber