The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I’ve done it! Hopefully doesn’t bite me, never bought a guitar online before.
Congratulations, a Gibson is on my wish list.

I have had a few people tell me that I sing better over top of my Martin 000-15 then my Taylor 512 cedar/mahogany. That instrument has nice overtones and chime but I think the dry mellow tone of the all mahogany Martin sits under my voice and blends better.

Good luck with the new to you Gibson and enjoy.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-25-2020 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I’ve done it! Hopefully doesn’t bite me, never bought a guitar online before.
I hope not, but I would take an all solid American Gibson over a made in Mexico laminate Taylor any day of the week!! Congrats!

P.s. you didn't take a lot of convincing

I wish all I had to say to my wife was.. err, sorry, too much information, never mind..

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-25-2020 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
I wish all I had to say to my wife was.. err, sorry, too much information, never mind..
I’m single so it’s my conscience that nags me on such things. I told it to shut up, it’s £110 off and I’m not convinced they didn’t make a typo on the price given everywhere else is £870!

Old 12-12-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I bought a second hand Taylor 114 as my guitar for alternate tunings. I really like it but for some reason I don’t like singing with it, only use it for instrumental stuff. It’s like it doesn’t complement my voice, I don’t feel myself being in quite as good tune as I do with my Martin. It may be something to do with having a deep baritone voice (bordering on bass). I’m sure if someone else heard it they probably wouldn’t notice though.
That's funny you should say that. I am also a bass-baritone, and I think my Taylor is the best complement for my voice (compared to my more bassy Larrivée).
Old 12-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
That's funny you should say that. I am also a bass-baritone, and I think my Taylor is the best complement for my voice (compared to my more bassy Larrivée).
If I had started off with the Taylor I would probably be none the wiser! I know my voice works well with Gibsons though so should be ok there.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
we tend to have the worse seat in the house when playing and singing while un-amp'd/un-mic'd
You've got that right. I've often thought that they ought to put a sound hole in the back of the guitar as well.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:19 PM

Guitar doesn’t complement voice

Having played in cover bands where I had to mimic everyone from John Denver to Willy Nelson to Bob Dylan I figured out sometime back that my guitars couldn't change but my voice could. Give it a try. You might like it.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPADON View Post
Guitar doesn’t complement voice

Having played in cover bands where I had to mimic everyone from John Denver to Willy Nelson to Bob Dylan I figured out sometime back that my guitars couldn't change but my voice could. Give it a try. You might like it.
I use a couple of different voices when singing. It works with well a deep blues growl, not so much with my natural voice I use for folk stuff.

No big deal now anyway, I sold it to my friend who has wanted a better acoustic than his epiphone for ages. G-45 doesn’t come until Monday, I actually dreamed about it last night.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I use a couple of different voices when singing. It works with well a deep blues growl, not so much with my natural voice I use for folk stuff.

No big deal now anyway, I sold it to my friend who has wanted a better acoustic than his epiphone for ages. G-45 doesn’t come until Monday, I actually dreamed about it last night.
Probably a wise decision. Congrats and enjoy that puppy.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Let us know how the Gibson turns out! I mostly do solo acoustic shows, so I understand what you're going through. I don't think I've ever played a Gibson that didn't compliment my voice. Right now I have an Avalon Arc and it sounded great for its first show last weekend.

Thing about the Avalon is it sounds so beautiful on its own, I don't sing much with it at home!
Old 12-13-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
Let us know how the Gibson turns out! I mostly do solo acoustic shows, so I understand what you're going through. I don't think I've ever played a Gibson that didn't compliment my voice. Right now I have an Avalon Arc and it sounded great for its first show last weekend.

Thing about the Avalon is it sounds so beautiful on its own, I don't sing much with it at home!
I will do a wee review once the Gibson arrives. I can’t wait to see the walnut back especially.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Years ago I was playing with my old friend who had an amazing voice. Just so smooth. I had a 314ce back then and he sounded average. He let me play his J45 and his voice was magic! I told him he sounded so much different, he smiled and said, “buddy, if you are going to sing, you better have a Gibson.”
Old 12-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Years ago I was playing with my old friend who had an amazing voice. Just so smooth. I had a 314ce back then and he sounded average. He let me play his J45 and his voice was magic! I told him he sounded so much different, he smiled and said, “buddy, if you are going to sing, you better have a Gibson.”
I toured and did session work with my Gibson CL30 Deluxe for years.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
I toured and did session work with my Gibson CL30 Deluxe for years.
I’m actually looking in the classifieds now!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:17 PM

This would be more of an issue if more people paid close attention to how their voices meshes with the guitar. My bet is that 90% of us never think of it. I didn't - until I happened to get a guitar that I just sang better with. The little light in my brain went on then.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion