The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 08:35 AM

It does not happen on mine.

Ll.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Have the nut checked by a true professional. Shouldn’t happen. Love mine.
My thought as well. I have own so many Martins, this has not happened to me, yet.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
As usual, that Texan rascal Rif-Raf has called it correctly. There’s no need to return the guitar, and there’s no need to adjust your fretting hand position. All you need is a nut that’s slotted more accurately for the way you play.

If you are the original owner you can try to convince a Martin customer service representative into authorizing this as a warranty repair, but - personally - I wouldn’t want to expend the energy to try to talk them into it. I’d just get a good local repair tech to make a new nut for me. That’s a lot less hassle.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I disagree. Although string tension is less mid neck than at the first fret, if OP is using reasonable fretting technique and the problem is largely happening up the neck (as he says), the nut is unlikely the problem. (OP, does it happen at all with open G or a barre F in first position? If not, are you sure you're not barring with finger pressure at an agle up the neck rather than stringht down on the string?)

Martin is infamous for beveling their fret ends too aggressively since the switch to the "bound" appearing fretboard and PA taper. (Bevelling is done by hand whereas nuts are cut by the plek machine, which is why it’s an intermittent problem only on some guitars.). This has been talked about over on the UMGF. As people have said, a new nut with narrower slots might get that string back over the fretboard just enough to fix the problem. But if the nut is to spec, the actual problem is the fret ends. You should also note that narrower nut slots will give you diminishing returns the farther up the neck you go (ie will make a more noticeable difference in the first position vs up the neck).

Last edited by zoopeda; 12-15-2019 at 05:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion