The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Low Tension Strings

I now play a Martin 00 17 Authentic. Wonderful tone, shape, size etc. But the neck has no truss rod and is susceptible to bowing easily with even common strings. Martin monel 12's are on it now. I have had the fretboard slightly planed and that took most of the extra relief out but it remains an issue.
So I am looking for tips on what strings will sound good and also put less pull on the neck? I once used Newtone Heritage and liked them but cannot seem to find them now. Is there a common resource that compares different string brand tensions?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:13 AM

I would consider having compression frets installed to prevent neck cupping. I use Newtone Heritage strings on my 1930s Gibson L1 and 1961 B45-12. Newtone though apparently does not have a U.S. distributer so you need to order direct from the factory. You might look at Optima low tension strings which I gather are about the same as Newtones. They are wound in Germany and are available in the States. Pretty pricey though.

Last edited by zombywoof; 12-11-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

If you like the sound of the guitar now, the first string I would try is Monel 11's. They're probably going to keep the sound closest to what you hear now.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Tension search catagory

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
So I am looking for tips on what strings will sound good and also put less pull on the neck? I once used Newtone Heritage and liked them but cannot seem to find them now. Is there a common resource that compares different string brand tensions?
Hello,

Our new string filter on our website allows you to search by tension(as well as many other attributes). Its a great way to compare brands with similar tensions, or a specific tension you are looking for. Here's the link for acoustic sets:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/index....by_filter=true

My suggestion would be to try Santa Cruz Low Tensions. They've been mentioned on here a couple times and I have some on one of my guitars right now and really like them. We have both of their sets in stock now, but they are having a buy 2 get 1 free on their website currently that ends Dec 15th!

https://santacruzguitar.com/shop/
Old 12-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
I now play a Martin 00 17 Authentic. Wonderful tone, shape, size etc. But the neck has no truss rod and is susceptible to bowing easily with even common strings. Martin monel 12's are on it now. I have had the fretboard slightly planed and that took most of the extra relief out but it remains an issue.
I buy Newtones direct from their two-man workshop-operation in a small, garage-sized industrial unit in Derbyshire - their website is easy to use. I believe that Guitar Gallery is the one place in the US that now distributes them. You could also check their website but I find that ordering direct is the easiest.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 12-11-2019 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Corrected misinformation
Old 12-11-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Thanks to all of you for the great information. Looks like I am buying myself strings for Christmas.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I buy Newtones direct from the factory - their website is easy to use. I believe that Guitar Gallery is the one place in the US that now distributes them. You could also check their website but I find that ordering direct is the easiest.

Best,
Jayne
Jayne, it’s not a ‘factory’ - it’s a two-man workshop-operation in a small, garage-sized industrial unit in a small Derbyshire, UK town. If you call or email, you get a reply from the owner personally.

You’re correct, the best way to get Newtone strings is to order direct on their website...

https://newtonestrings.com/

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Jayne, it’s not a ‘factory’ - it’s a two-man workshop-operation in a small, garage-sized industrial unit in a small Derbyshire, UK town. If you call or email, you get a reply from the owner personally.

You’re correct, the best way to get Newtone strings is to order direct on their website...

https://newtonestrings.com/
Right you are, I got a little careless with my language. I corrected my post. Thanks!

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Right you are, I got a little careless with my language. I corrected my post. Thanks!

Best,
Jayne
Oops! Sorry Jayne, didn’t mean to come over as a stern old schoolmaster! Just wanted to give the benefit of local knowledge!
Pax?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I have switched all my guitars over to GHS "Thin Core" phosphor bronze. I love the tone and they are clearly lower tension.

Steve

P.S. They are waaaay cheaper than Santa Cruz strings.
P.S.S. I buy them from Strings by Mail
Old 12-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Wyres strings are hand wound and are lower tension. I run their coated PB lights on my Martin.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I bought Newtone strings at https://www.guitargal.com/collections/newtone-strings . They were very good about shipping/packaging.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

I also get Newtones direct from their small factory! Great strings, cheap postage and good service.

Col
Old 12-12-2019, 12:59 AM

Santa Cruz is running a special on their strings. Buy 3 sets for the price of 2. While you can mix and match, I just ordered the three of the low tension ones to try.

I've also enjoyed using Martin silk and steel strings in a light gauge. Super comfy and I like the tone a lot.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 AM

This is a completely different answer to what you may be looking for, but you could always tune down half a step. Some guitars actually sound much better that way - my GS mini does. It sounds much better with 13s at D# than with either 12s or 13s at E.

You can always capo back up if you really need standard tuning from time to time. Depends in how you use your guitar - I dont play with others very often so having it at a non-standard tuning is not a problem for me.

Last edited by RalphH; 12-12-2019 at 06:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion