The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Default baritone strings

First tried over on other stringed instruments -- nobody came back.

I'll try here too. Any good reports on strings (coated, monel, nickel etc.) for a baritone guitar. I've been very pleased with Retro monel strings of late on guitars in general. Martin doesn't make a baritone, so no Retros from them.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

There have been more than a few threads about options for baritone strings that would be very worth looking up -

That said, if you want some specific recommendations, you might want to give a little more detail about your instrument, scale length, your tuning preferences, and your playing style - all would have substantial effect on what might be suggested -
Old 12-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Default baritone strings

Good idea. The guitar is an Alvarez ABT-60; scale is 27"; style is amorphous -- I accompany myself as a singer, and usually there's a grazing effect at play rather than any specific style; singer songwriters are where I look for songs to sing. I play fingerstyle mostly with a hybrid strumming interspersed for percussive effect sometimes -- a lot of palm muting etc.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:05 AM

While opinions are often divided on Elixir strings, I really like their baritone sets on both my Taylor 8-String and my Alvarez ABT-60. I recently tried the D'Addario EXP23 phosphor bronze set on the Alvarez, and I find that I don't really care for the sound...it's on the brash side, with a lot of string squeak. It does brighten up the typically darker sound of a baritone, but perhaps a bit too much so.

Last edited by JMFingerstyle; 12-08-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Wrong string brand cited.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

From your description, it sounds very much like the way I use mine as well -

I’ve found that regular heavy string sets work well for me - allows me to tune down low enough to complement vocals, and generally work better for a general strumming/rhythm style without having to work as hard as a full baritone set requires. As long as you don’t need the lower tuning, and the punch, you might try some -
Old 12-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Default baritone strings

I've planned to try the Elixirs; there was some mention of an unwound 3rd string which probably won't matter much?
I agree on the EXP23s; that's what I have on the ABT-60 now; with muting they're better, but overall not quite what I would like. By the way, I envy your Taylor 8. Next purchase for me when price matches pocket comfortably; really not too bad used. And a great sound to my ear.

After beginning to explore some of these bari threads it sounds like the Retro Bluegrass/Tony Rice set 13 12 26 34 44 56 would be worth a try; haven't tried any other tuning than B-B -- but C or C# would be a better vocal match for me anyway, with capoing etc.

Tadol, if the regular heavy sets are working for you with vocals, that's also a handy and encouraging option.

Man, I love the exchange of ideas and experiences; not really enough in a lifetime to reinvent the wheel for everything.

Thanks and cheers.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired fingers View Post
By the way, I envy your Taylor 8. Next purchase for me when price matches pocket comfortably; really not too bad used. And a great sound to my ear
Just a caveat on the Baritone 8, especially if you accompany vocals. These babies are REALLY tough to capo cleanly. I've only found one capo design that works reliably, and it's no longer in production.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired fingers View Post
Good idea. The guitar is an Alvarez ABT-60; scale is 27"; style is amorphous -.
I still have the stock EXPs on mine. I should probably thing about some replacements.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-08-2019, 01:32 PM

I have been using Martin Baritone Lifespan strings for over 2 years now and have no reason to look for any other brand. These strings sound great and last a very long time.

I have experimented with replacing the second plain steel string with a wrapped string with mixed results. The wrapped string is softer to the feel but it looses a bit of the shimmer that a plain steel string offers.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Not a fan of 80/20's but these John Pearse Light Baritone strings cleared up a lot of the muddiness of my ABT-60 - but I also found them squeaky.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-08-2019, 02:12 PM

I dislike squeaky strings and all my acoustic have flat wound strings.
I'd be interested in getting a baritone guitar if I knew I could get flat wound strings for it.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 12-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFingerstyle View Post
Just a caveat on the Baritone 8, especially if you accompany vocals. These babies are REALLY tough to capo cleanly. I've only found one capo design that works reliably, and it's no longer in production.
Appreciate that you pointed that out -- and something I'd have missed if I weren't paying close enough attention at point of purchase. If I can't capo, my fun diminishes greatly. The change in tone/timbre available with capo on the plus side (and the necessity of transposing every move on the con) gives me a lot of pause. Oh well, something else to dream about will emerge -- always has so far.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have been using Martin Baritone Lifespan strings for over 2 years now and have no reason to look for any other brand. These strings sound great and last a very long time.

I have experimented with replacing the second plain steel string with a wrapped string with mixed results. The wrapped string is softer to the feel but it looses a bit of the shimmer that a plain steel string offers.
Another poke in the awareness; never used the Lifespan strings so didn't even look there for baritone sets. Just ordered a couple of sets to check them out. Did notice that most of the regular outlets show them as unavailable now; don't know if that's a transient supply problem or they've deleted them. I went on eBay and found a couple sets for $8.50 each. Shelf life shouldn't matter much unless they're storing them in a greenhouse. I'll give a report once I put them on.

Again, thanks all.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:46 PM

I hope Martin continues to make them but looking at their site it doesn't show them available now.
Looks like I will also me in the market for a new brand of treated baritone strings in the future.

Last edited by L20A; 12-08-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:52 PM

The best advice I ever got for baritone strings was to just use a light gauge (or extra light as suitable for the tuning) and shift them one string over (eg. 6th becomes 5th, etc to 2nd becomes 1st) and get singles for the bass 6th string to suit your tuning. I especially like having a wound 2nd string rather than the plain steel "bridge cable" in most baritone sets.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion