The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Ok, I don't get it.
Surely you must sing.
Under your breath?
Inside your head?
If I try to even think about singing it messes up my playing (which is not very good to begin with).
Old 11-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I like both. One is better than the other. Could use a vocal coach for a few months.

Something about solo, singer songwriter music that is very potent to me (and many listeners). Compared to blues riffing or even django exploits the intimacy, vulnerability and child like song of singer songwriters gets me continuously. The more the merrier. Except for the beginners that write and perform a 5 minute plus 3 chord song that never reaches the Coda.

When I write I like to employ a lot of typical Songwriting devices. Internal rhymes, repetition, unused clichés, images, onamonapias or just a La La refrains, chorus first, different line duration verses, pre chorus (or bridge) modulate the whole song after an interesting intro. Modulate the last verse/chorus for a quick pop exit under 2.5 minutes. But my real interest in the craft is the verbs. Subject matter, adjectives and nouns have been sang to death. But there are many verbs that interest me, especially if they are under 3 syllables.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
I struggle enough with breathing and playing guitar simultaneously, without complicating things by trying to sing at the same time.

Not sure why that leads to the second question. I work as little as possible... my (younger) wife has other ideas! If by work, you mean as a guitarist... you obviously haven't heard me play!
Art. I love that answer. Reminds me of someone close to ME. Seriously though,
Actually, I sing great while playing but only if nobody else is within hearing distance. Just ask me. But I won't even sing in front of my wife and she has accidentally caught me singing a few times and asks me why I wont sing for her. If I even tried I would pass out from stage fright.

Last edited by JP Richardson; 11-18-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:16 PM

I started off just playing rhythm electric guitar. Then not playing at all. Now I sing and play. I'm slowly shedding all my electrics in favour of acoustics because of the move to singing and playing at home - I'm older, have young kids and can't go be in a band and need to be self-sufficient. Just the Les Paul left to go. Will be sorry to see it leave, but I've not played it in over a year.

My singing is pretty bad because I'm new to it and my playing is pretty bad because I'm a bit rusty and I've gone from riffs to strumming patterns. But despite that I find it amazingly satisfying being able to sing and play. It's just so nice being able to play music on my own and not have it just feel like a piece missing the rest of the jigsaw.

JP, I am just starting to move past that. I now regularly sing in front on my wife and kids (for the last couple of weeks) and even sung in front of a friend recently!! :O I still can't quite believe it!

Also, since I started singing I feel like I've gained a bit more of a 'normal' perspective on guitar; no, no-one else can hear, or even cares whether a $50 guitar lead sounds better than a $10 one. Once you start singing - esp in front of other people - you realise you have a whole raft of more important things to worry about!!

I work every day -- as an IT contractor, but I'm not sure how that's related.

Last edited by RalphH; 11-18-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:10 PM

I play mostly and sing occasionally as a backup/harmony singer. I don't sing well enough to be a lead singer.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:12 PM

I'm not a singer, and it is hard for me to learn lyrics for song. I'm working at singing and playing, but it doesn't come easy. I can carry a tune, but don't have a great voice.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:26 PM

I think of the guitar as an accompanying instrument primarily. It "wants" a voice to lead the way.

I don't think I'd be terribly interested in listening to a solo guitarist without a voice in there. Pretty soon it would get old.

If I did, it might be Barney Kessel, whose solo guitar work holds my attention. Tommy Emmanuel is awfully good, but mostly in a "wow, he's good" way, rather than a transportive musical way. I'm thinking about the guitar when he's playing, as a guitarist. He's great. But what I care about more is being transported musically, a poetic voice of some kind. Which usually requires a human voice.

I love guitar. But I'd much rather hear, for example, Paul McCartney playing and singing "Mother Nature's Son" than some solo guitarist fiddling away on his fretboard with no vocal to hold it together.

The human voice is still the greatest instrument in my view.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:02 PM

During my time gigging in past younger years I have always sung backing vocals . Nowadays it's just pure acoustic guitar , in fact I'm seriously considering parting with my two electrics as they haven't been played ( just lovingly maintained ) for at least two years
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 11-19-2019, 12:32 AM

Both are important to me. Playing and singing. I enjoy playing instrumental pieces, and I enjoy vocal tunes. One thing I definitely don't enjoy is a guitarist playing a vocal tune as an instrumental, and I won't do those. If I can't sing the song, I won't play it. That said, I also am one of those people who were told at an early age that they shouldn't sing. It took several decades to overcome that and start singing regardless because enjoy it, knowing full well I don't have what's considered a great singer's voice, but what does that even mean? What IS a "great voice?" Everybody's preferences when it comes to singing voices are vastly different. I never could get used to Paul McCartney's voice; hearing Supertramp's singer makes me run for cover, while Tom Waits doesn't even HAVE a voice, except that hasn't stopped him from selling album after album (no jabs intended by the way, I'm just using these highly revered vocalists as random examples.) My point is, I'm ok with what I like and what I don't like. We like what we like, and those preferences can't be influenced by what we WANT to like. Many people probably would hate MY singing voice, while others have complimented me on it, but who really cares? If Tom Waits gets to sing and make a living doing it, who is to say I can't do it for a hobby? That's the way I look at it, and that's why I strongly believe that anyone who wants to sing should. [emoji4]

Ouch. (That noise you just heard was me tripping as I stepped off the soapbox.)

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 11-19-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:37 AM

if you aren't singin' while you are playing, YOU ARE MISSING IT !!!! Man all the doors just open right up, especially if you are single and good at the things you do !!! You might even learn how to lick your eybrows !!! Learn how to sing, and you will have "the world on a string" as Francis Albert told me once !!
Old 11-19-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
if you aren't singin' while you are playing, YOU ARE MISSING IT !!!! Man all the doors just open right up, especially if you are single and good at the things you do !!! You might even learn how to lick your eybrows !!! Learn how to sing, and you will have "the world on a string" as Francis Albert told me once !!
Lol ok then....
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 11-19-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

I can play...a little, and not very well...but I’m still learning.

And, I can sing. Better than I play. Actually...much better than I play.

But I can’t play & sing. Together. At the same time.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I think of the guitar as an accompanying instrument primarily. It "wants" a voice to lead the way.

I don't think I'd be terribly interested in listening to a solo guitarist without a voice in there. Pretty soon it would get old.
This. I saw Steve Vai live once. It was just about the most boring 2 hours of my life. Lead guitarists need to be kept in a box, brought out at the right time, then put back in again. Except for Slash - he can come jam with me any time he likes.

Actually, maybe not even slash. Having seen G&R live, the random 10 minute guitar solo was second only to the 10 minute random drum solo in the 'ok, time to use the bathroom and get another beer' league.

Last edited by RalphH; 11-19-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:52 AM

For a while I entertained the idea of building up an instrumental repertoire for...well, just because. Maybe I thought there'd be a call for it.
I later abandoned the idea. It was great for honing my skills and I still learn and memorize interesting pieces, but that's not where my heart is.

The idea of being a singer/guitarist is my goal. That's where I concentrate most of my efforts.

Regarding playing and singing at the same time: Being a long-time keyboard player, I'm used to two hands doing two different things. That helped. My years as a bassist, often playing something completely counter to whatever I was singing, helped too. Singing and playing presents no real challenge.

What does present a challenge is that my voice is 20+years out of practice. It's presentable, but I'm concentrating on getting a better handle on it again. It'll happen.

As far as paying jobs, I can't answer that. I haven't performed in years.
I just retired about two weeks ago and finally have the time to concentrate on getting my act, so to speak, together again.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:21 AM

Most of my gigs in the past 10-15 years have been solo guitar, electric guitar, jazz standards, restaurants, wine bars, etc.

Had quite a few steadys before the stock market tanked in 2010 or so. Soon after, I started a family and stopped playing out as often, but there's definitely fewer gigs now than there were.

I'm actually working on singing...I want to go a bit of a different direction and assemble some people to play with in the next year or so.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion