The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 06:20 PM

I tried singing one time and now there's a restraining order. It's been so long ago that I can't remember exactly what it said....something about "crime against nature".
Old 11-16-2019, 06:48 PM

Ok, I don't get it.
Surely you must sing.
Under your breath?
Inside your head?
How could you possibly learn songs without lyrics?
I sing out loud at home and occasional open mic.
And sometimes just inside my head...
I think I have a terrible voice.
But I play very few instrumentals.
A huge number of songs would be unrecognizable without the lyrics.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Ok, I don't get it.
Surely you must sing.
Under your breath?
Inside your head?
How could you possibly learn songs without lyrics?
I sing out loud at home and occasional open mic.
And sometimes just inside my head...
I think I have a terrible voice.
But I play very few instrumentals.
A huge number of songs would be unrecognizable without the lyrics.
I sing in my head. (Safer for all that way).
Old 11-16-2019, 07:34 PM

I sing and play for my own enjoyment. I am polite enough not to inflict it on others. 🤪
Old 11-16-2019, 07:38 PM

I play guitar, solo, for my own enjoyment only. I don't sing while playing.

I do sing in the car when no one else is there. If I turn the radio up loud enough, I don't sound too bad.

I work 50-60 hours a week. My work has nothing to do with guitar, or even music.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:38 AM

I play and sing. I have since almost the very start. I have actually accepted money for doing this, which still amazes me.

My understanding is that the fear of public performing (speaking, singing, what have you) is actually stronger than the fear of death for many people. I'm fortunate not to feel that way about it. I am not a naturally outgoing person, and don't like being in crowds, but for some reason I have no problem playing and singing for an audience. Go figure.

In these replies I'm detecting three main themes: "I don't sing because my voice is terrible." "I don't sing because of stage fright." "I don't sing because I have a problem coordinating it with playing." I can't help with the first two, but if you want to get past the third one, just start by singing doo-doo-doo instead of the actual words. Once you get to the point where you can doo-doo-doo your way through the song without it sounding like doo-doo, start substituting the actual words.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:42 AM

I have never been a good singer - but I enjoy it. And finally decided if I wanted to sing, I was going to do it - to heck with anyone else. It took me years to arrive at that conclusion. And what do you know; I got better at it. Practice does help. Also hearing yourself recorded enough so that your voice no longer sounds strange to you is a help and confidence booster.

Though I have never had a problem speaking, playing, or singing in front of an audience, there are times when my natural shyness kicks in when I'm in a small group of musicians. Having just said I don't mind being on stage, I have often noticed that my performances are not as good as I do when practicing. I attribute this to some sort of submerged nervousness, but also wonder if I am only being more critical of myself then.

Though she is nice about it, my wife hates to hear my singing, so I tend to play more often when she is not round (she is a choral singer and has sung twice at Carnegie Hall and once with the Philly Orchestra, so conceivably her standards are higher than mine). Then again, she also likes the music that I like. Others are less frank and once in a great while I even get compliments on my voice, go figure.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:09 AM

I have a horrible singing voice, but I like to sing when no one is around. I have horrible rhythm and for some reason I have a very hard time singing and strumming a rhythm. I can half way sing to fingerstyle songs.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 11-17-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
I play and sing. I have since almost the very start. I have actually accepted money for doing this, which still amazes me...
Same here - I was singing with my elementary school chorus for a full year before I started taking guitar lessons, so it came naturally to me; I also developed the ability early on (well before Jimi) to play lead guitar while singing and still remain on pitch/in time - one less band member to pay...
Old 11-17-2019, 08:55 AM

I can't sing. I play lead guitar in a couple of bands. I was working on putting together a few sets of fingerstyle arrangements to do side gigs but got sidelined with some really bad tennis elbow and back pain (due to too much practicing with bad posture I suspect). Once I'm able, I fully intend to do those gigs.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:31 AM

Can't sing. Guitar and bass only. Used to record, play the occasional show, and occasionally fill in with local bands. Scene has basically been dead for several years, so no bands in a really long time.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

For myself, I only accompany singers when I'm absolutely forced to to get paid. I have no real interest in anything but instrumental music and only listen to the changes, bass line, etc. of vocal music with few exceptions. Of course, I rarely listen to music outside the gig, anyway and then, it's either instrumental or those few exceptions (Ella Fitzgerald, Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Sinatra, and a few others.)
Old 11-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Almost never sang as I could not keep a note. A nightmare !
I play only for my pleasure. I just want to play instrumentals.
As I am retired, I have almost all time I need to improve...
Old 11-17-2019, 12:29 PM
Guest 33123

I fingerpick so I play the melody, harmony and bass all at once. So I don't need to sing. I still have a decent voice and I can sing in tune. I choose not to.

I have no interest in performing on stage anymore. I don't need the admiration of a crowd to be happy and I don't need the gig money. I record occasionally instead and, when I can, I share my music with my family and friends.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 11-17-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:30 PM

I play guitar to accompany my singing. I cannot imagine playing guitar just to play guitar. I’ve been a rhythm guitar player in bands, but I always sang at least back up vocals and harmonies.
My guitar playing has improved over the last couple of years due to performing.
I wouldn’t play as much if I didn’t perform and sing. I have yet to attend a performance by a guitarist who didn’t sing, wouldn’t care to.
Even seeing Phil Keaggy live was getting boring until he started doing some singing. We are all different for sure.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion