The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 AM

Default Soul song to Emerald

I have been away for a while, but before I got going I ordered an Emerald X20 - 12 string. The universe made me wait until I got back to get my hands on her. Yes, all of my instruments are female - except for my bass. They all have names - get over it. My instruments are an extension of myself - they each have a unique quality and I name them.

Upon arrival home (dumb move) I jumped in and got my hands on her. Who wouldn't? Ahh patience is a virtue and mine needs work .
I had been focused on honing my ukulele skills while away and the guitars seemed enormous!
Sometimes it is necessary to sit yourself down and have it out with yourself - so I did. I chewed myself out from one end to the other.

The photos of Emerald guitars are incredibly clear and show every bit of the depth and curvature. Still they don't do them justice. The first time I saw that website I was hell bent on having one, or two or three.
In person this guitar takes my breath away. I really didn't think I was worthy! At two a.m. After a 24 hour day I wasn't worthy of anything but sleep or a good smackinʻ.

So having collected myself, after being an idjit and a fool, there was reason and need to pull out all the guitars and reacquaint myself with them.
WOW.

Smack in the middle of my familiar ones, I played my Emerald. My language was hot and we made music! There is a heaven and I can hold an angel in my arms!

I found sounds that I have been searching for. She had me at Hello again and we are off at a gallop. Magic from the Emerald Isle! Alistair is a genius! I am an idiot.

I have never seen such beauty. She is delicious and awe inspiring. At first I doubted myself, never the instrument.

Top to bottom and backwards and forwards, this guitar is stunning. Nary a flaw and the rag doesnʻt just clean the strings - it absorbs drool and tears of joy.

Last night I followed my own advice and opened up - crawled inside and turned my fingers loose.
WOW!

The soul does not lie.
The ears are doing a happy dance.
My heart strings found harmony! I found more of myself than I realized was missing.

Poets and musicians are a great bunch, but this poet met her match . I am beyond blessed. I put poetry to a tune and at the moment there is nothing on earth that will take that from me.

If you want one, get it.
If you want mine - forget it.
Sheʻs a keeper!

This is what my ears and hands are up against.

My little collection of 12's is better than my playing:
Martin dx 12 - (customized by Slack Key Masters signatures - they like her)
Martin jrt1216 custom Rosewood
Taylor 150
Emerald X-20

Ukes:
Mele tenor 8 Mango
Mele tenor 8 Koa top Mahoghany/w double puka
KoAloha Concert Koa
Kamoa Soprano pineapple/maple

Bass:
Kona walking stick upright 3string/Mango

Letʻs make music!
Aloha

Last edited by LesRose; 04-25-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Guest 928

LR;

You are blessed. You have a great collection of instruments and, obviously, a great collection of joy. Enjoy!
Old 04-24-2016, 10:45 AM

What a lovely tribute to your new 12-er. I am smiling this morning just reading your words.

I too play slack key, for about a dozen years now. I've had the opportunity to study with several of the masters at the Aloha Music Camp - what a treat. Do you know about taropatch.net, a Hawaiian music bulletin board / forum?

Anyway, enjoy and play in good health. I need to look into these Emeralds myself, but have never seen one in person.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

What a tribute! Nicely written.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:37 PM

Glad to hear you are so happy with your Emerald!

Nothing strange about naming your instruments. My X20 is called Kekailipoho‘ohuināmoku, which means “The deep blue-black ocean that unites the many lands”. She spends a lot of time in F Taro Patch, Bb Wahine, Bb Mauna Loa, Drop D or Drop C, and even standard and D Standard. She is happy in all these tunings.

Mālama pono ā hui hou,
Pili
Old 04-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

So, Uncle;

Do you have a song for Kekailipo'ohuinamoku? The blue black ocean is a worthy name, and a great song title. Have you lyrics?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:35 AM

Evan, you started it - your post about your nylon adventures really gassed me up. I latched onto that bandwagon in a hurry.

Regarding Slack Key - oh my, I am a total sucker for Attaʻs C . Yes, went to a couple of workshops and a week of music camp, love playing Slack Key! That spurned a need for more than one guitar - since I am prone to switching up my music on the fly and am too lazy to retune on a whim. After all twelve strings takes time to tune - so I added guitars.

I have named my X20-12 Saoirse (Seersha), it means freedom. I am of Irish and Cherokee descent, the guitar brings freedom of worry and has cut loose the banshee in me.

For many months I dreamed of a black guitar, but as with dreams they get fuzzy upon awakening. Itʻs the rhythm, the sound of a heartbeat that grabs me. Itʻs as familiar as my own.
Like sitting a fine horse and galloping across a field - better than that, this is truly a blessing.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Guest 928

Les;

Give me a horse
One that can Run
I'll ride like the Wind
And follow the sun
Old 04-28-2016, 01:34 PM

Evan,
Amen
Old 04-28-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
So, Uncle;

Do you have a song for Kekailipo'ohuinamoku? The blue black ocean is a worthy name, and a great song title. Have you lyrics?
That's a great idea, Evan. I'll put it on my long and languishing list of song ideas.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesRose View Post
Evan, you started it - your post about your nylon adventures really gassed me up. I latched onto that bandwagon in a hurry.

Regarding Slack Key - oh my, I am a total sucker for Attaʻs C . Yes, went to a couple of workshops and a week of music camp, love playing Slack Key! That spurned a need for more than one guitar - since I am prone to switching up my music on the fly and am too lazy to retune on a whim. After all twelve strings takes time to tune - so I added guitars.

I have named my X20-12 Saoirse (Seersha), it means freedom. I am of Irish and Cherokee descent, the guitar brings freedom of worry and has cut loose the banshee in me.

For many months I dreamed of a black guitar, but as with dreams they get fuzzy upon awakening. Itʻs the rhythm, the sound of a heartbeat that grabs me. Itʻs as familiar as my own.
Like sitting a fine horse and galloping across a field - better than that, this is truly a blessing.
Aloha LesRose, your paean to your new Emerald is quite lovely.

Atta's C is one of the tunings I've never gotten around to trying. For those who don't know, Atta Isaacs was Gabby Pahinui's longtime picking partner. There are many solos on Gabby's recordings that people assume were Gabby, but were actually Atta.

Which music camp did you go to and who did you study with?

BTW, a glance over this thread tells me that nobody has pestered you for pics yet! Let me be the first...
Old 04-29-2016, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesRose View Post

Hi LesRose,

We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your new Emerald. Saoirse is a beautiful Gaelic name for it.

Go raibh mile maith agat (Thank you very much)

Sean
Old 04-29-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
That's a great idea, Evan. I'll put it on my long and languishing list of song ideas.
Uncle, may I suggest Peppino D'Agostino's "The Blue Ocean"? I began to learn it from him at a camp three years ago, but never fully followed through to master it. Nice tune, kinda strange tuning.....
Old 04-29-2016, 06:57 AM

Uncle Pauhana,
Several years ago we signed up for a workshop in Seattle. I had just started learning taro patch and we were up for a fine weekend. A whole room full of folks were sent to groaning when Uncle Cyril informed us that we would be learning C tuning, Atta's C.
After that Uncle Dennis says Oh yeah.
It leveled the playing field for me, everybody was new to that tuning, but oh how I love that tuning.

The second workshop in Honolulu was again Uncles Cyril and Dennis, but more focus on discussion than playing. The line up was great. Combined that with HanoHano awards show.

Couple of years ago We hit Napili with Uncle George's music camp and learned from more Masters.
Good music and lots to learn.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:06 PM

Aloha, LesRose, you have been blessed with some great experiences! Lucky you had the chance when you could. I still can't believe Dennis is gone. And Cyril has been having some serious hospital time, although I hear he's doing quite a bit better now.

And the Nā Hōkū Hanohano awards show too? Wow, good for you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber