The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I have them on my Avalon. I did a comparison/demo a little while ago.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:29 PM

I posted this on a different thread (back in September) that I have them on my Gibson J15 and love their sound! Add in their expected longevity and I think I've found my new favorite string. I haven't put them on either of my Martins but once I've gone through my stock of Martin strings I will probably give them a try there as well.

After 2 months, they're still sounding great.

Best,
PJ
Old 12-03-2019, 06:04 AM

Curious about these strings - do they last as Long as Elixirs?
Asking as I really like the Daddario ej16s phosphor bronze lights.
Also, I like how Daddario vacuum seals their strings , all string makers should do it this way. Folks can stock up and these vacuum sealed strings will last.

The XTs come in the vacuum sealed packs right?
Old 12-03-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Feels wasteful to put on fresh strings, play for 15 minutes and then not pick that guitar up again for a month. Then want to change the strings again.
I haven't tried the XTs yet but do have a set of PB lights that will go on the OF660 soon. I agree with you about wasteful, but maybe on certain guitars it makes sense to justify the added cost? Like on a guitar that doesn't get played as much or a guitar with an impervious nature like a carbon fiber guitar? I would also add that for those who dabble in alternate tunings a lot, there is no proprietary coating that will save their strings from the fatigue caused from constant stress of up and down tuning. Something to consider if you are a player that uses crazy tunings and don't have a guitar for each one- might be more economical to stick with great sounding uncoated

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Curious about these strings - do they last as Long as Elixirs?
Asking as I really like the Daddario ej16s phosphor bronze lights.
Also, I like how Daddario vacuum seals their strings , all string makers should do it this way. Folks can stock up and these vacuum sealed strings will last.

The XTs come in the vacuum sealed packs right?
I liked the EXPs enough to at least try the XTs. While I can't speak to the longevity yet, the answer to your question on whether the XTs are vacuum sealed is yes. i think D'addario has the best packaging in the business; avoiding flashy foil bags, vacuum sealing their strings, and have the only recycling program I know of- nobody more forward thinking in this than D'addario
Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
What he /\ said.
I’m experimenting with D’addario Nickel Bronze at the moment.
But at $12 usd a set...They don’t sound twice as good as EJ26’s.
I am backing off of the frequent string change regimen. Too many guitars and some get neglected.
Feels wasteful to put on fresh strings, play for 15 minutes and then not pick that guitar up again for a month. Then want to change the strings again.
Yup, I'm slowing down my changing frequency. I use uncoated strings, and never have had a problem with string corrosion.

I like to keep good stocks of strings -but my regimen of changing everything every two months has changed ...for some.

I have some lesser used guitars - my archtops, Hawaiian, and National are wearing strings that are up to a year old - in fact they seem to sound better (if not louder) with older strings - to the point that I'll put used strings on the reso, and my 0028.

Call me a cynic, but I do think that in many cases "new" products are simply the old ones remarketed. I remember a soap powder that was marketed as "New" Tide with "blueinite" - "blueinite"? Some speckles of blue coloured soap ? Is that a real magical new chemical?

Same with Martin "Authentic" strings. -tried one new set on my best guitar. Took 'em off in a week.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:37 PM

I have them on my Lowden F32C for two weeks. Sound lasted a good week. Much to short for coated strings, I think I'll be back to Elixirs.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:31 PM

I'm still out on whether I want to stay with them. I find the tone very similar to the EJ's but I'm not sure how they last. I put the first set of them on my most frequently played guitar about two months ago and actually just replaced them two weeks ago so, by my math, I'm not getting 2x the wear. It's closer to 1.5x wear at 2x cost, which as an accountant doesn't add up. That's just one guitar and I'm going to try them on others so we'll see how this plays out.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 12-03-2019, 05:33 PM

I've had the XT's on for a week now. Decided to try them out. There is indeed less string sqeek than the EXPs. To my ears they do fall between the EXPs and the EJ's. Going back to my string of choice which are the GHS phosphor bronze S325. The GHS's are louder and more full sounding on my guitar. The XT's sounded a little thinner than the GHS to me.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Default XT PB 13/56

Several take aways - 3 days short of one month, finger style daily playing, one to three hrs.

1) Easier to slide, can slide further while string still sounds

2) Improved harmonics - seem to ring more clearly, easily

3) Not so much "jangliness" initially

4) Seem to hold up tone wise. Has been just short of a month and I'm usually close to thinking about changing strings, but these still sound good to me - if anything they sound better.

Also staying in tune well.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:06 PM

Just put a packet of these on my Goodall. Like others on this thread, they sound like a midway between Daddario EJs and Elixirs to me. Initially sounds a bit jangly to me as I prefer EJs to Elixirs. (I use Elixirs though because they last so long)
Tension wise it feels that there is a bit more tension than the regular EJs.
I hope they settle in to more of the EJs sound, if that happens and they last as long as the Elixirs I'll be a convert.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:28 PM

Do these corrode like the EJs btw?
Old 12-16-2019, 08:24 PM

I don’t think they corrode. I played bunch of gigs this summer on the ocean and they were great. No corrosion.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-17-2019, 08:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
I noticed that these have recently been released and was wondering whether anyone has had a opportunity to evaluate them. On the face of it, they would appear to offer a slightly cheaper alternative to Elixirs (at least here in the UK).

Cheers,

Ian
Feedback from the folks at our establishment that have/are currently using them is that they do provide great sustainability over time. The treatment on the string isn't noticeable at all so they play like a normal untreated string. Essentially, you are getting a great sounding D'addario string that lasts longer.

As for comparison of Elixirs vs. XT's, because of the thinness of the treatment on the XT's, the brands aren't quite the same. Elixir coats the whole string once its wrapped, currently providing various types of coating including Poly, Nano, and Optima. XT's (and all other coated/treated strings of any brand) are coated first, then wrapped. The Elixir coating can reduce string noise when playing. Some people like this characteristic, some prefer the "Scratch". They also have a "feel" to them where the XT's basically feel like a regular string and aren't noticeable.

The longevity of each can probably be argued and I'd wait till some more conclusive experiments are done. Likely depends on how much you play, environmental factors, etc.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:47 PM

These strings have settled in nicely after 1.5 weeks but I’m still on the fence about them. They sound like daddarios with a slight extra tinge of high end. I do see signs of initial corrosion (blackness). I do live in a high humidity country btw.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I was a beta tester for these. I like them very much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion