The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Sorry for the bad experience with the M6. Those are my favorite tuners for gigging cause they’re quick but pretty smooth. Gotoh 510s are obviously great too.

FWIW I remember years ago at a gig one of the butter bean Grover tuners went out on my Martin and I was pretty frustrated, I did however contact StewMac and they sent me a single for maybe 10 bucks or so. It might prove worthwhile to contact them for a single M6 as it’s a commonly stocked tuner. Or you could check eBay or reverb for singles, I’ve seen them multiple times when ordering replacements for my Larrivees over the years.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Dustin - decided to bite the bullet and ordered a full set as just dont want to be worrying about the next ones going..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 03-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Schaller went through a period of poor quality control that lasted about fifteen years, from the late 1980's through about the mid-2000's. But they've since regained their high QC standards, or at least I thought they had.

Wade Hampton Miller
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Wrighty

In 2006
I visited James Olson's shop there was a box (about a foot square and 8" tall) full of removed tuner machines beneath one bench in his shop. They were Schaller tuners. There were so many defective ones over the years he had switched to Gotoh tuners for his guitars.

Sure enough when one of the Schaller's failed (in the middle of a gig) on my Olson, I ordered a set of Gotoh with the Olson logo on them (from James).

I hadn't even thought about it till I saw your post. I was fortunate to have time at the gig I was at to be able to drive home and get one of my other guitars to finish the gig, but the tuner without warning just went belly-up.

Larry, sounds like what happened at the Olson shop 13 years ago was during the stretch of bad QC Wade mentioned. Based on the sweet performance of my GrandTunes, I agree with Wade that the days of routine QC problems seem to have ended some time ago.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Sorry to hear you’re having problems with your GrandTunes. I have a set on my D-41 and they are the best tuners I’ve ever had. They typically get a lot of love here on AGF, too. Have you called Martin CS? I’ve always found them helpful and responsive.
After the first button fell off I contacted the dealer and heard nothing but crickets since. But spurred on by your post I called Martin up today. Replacements are on the way via mail, and I won't have to take it into a service center. Happy and appreciative of that.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:00 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
After the first button fell off I contacted the dealer and heard nothing but crickets since. But spurred on by your post I called Martin up today. Replacements are on the way via mail, and I won't have to take it into a service center. Happy and appreciative of that.

Great! I love a happy ending...

Old 03-28-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Very interesting - I have never had tuner problems before on any decent guitar so was just intrigued as to why this was happening on several and whether it might have been anything the previous owner had done to contribute to them seizing..
Glad it worked out perfectly. Enjoy the new tuners.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I’m going to have to call Martin. I posted in this thread back in March because my new schaller tuners were rattling and my dealer mailed me a new set. However, the new set is rattling now too and the g string is hard to turn. Hopefully Martin will replace them again. If anyone knows of a direct drop in replacement I’d be glad to just wash my hands of these schallers for good, even if I have to spend money to do so.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:11 PM

Gotoh makes a direct drop in replacement for Schaller tuners. I recommend that you call Allparts and talk to them about it. They may not have those replacements on their website, but if anyone can get them, Allparts can.

whm
Old 12-13-2019, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Wade! I’m going to look in this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion