The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Default 2019 President's Cup

I think we have quite a few golf fans in our midst. Any thoughts on the terrible showing of the majority of the players on the US team? Has the course got the "whammy" on most of our team? It seems the approach shots hit by our side are poor (except for Tiger and Ricky who are hitting good approaches). They are running off the greens, etc. One question I have: It appears the players respect the course, but as a viewer it seems ridiculously tricky with slopes, curves, and even well struck short irons, wedges, are rolling off the back of the greens. Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Late in the matches it is USA 8 birdies, INT'l 13 birdies. Quite a difference. The USA may go down today 3-1. Making it 9-1/2 to 4-1/2 after the morning session, with the afternoon alternate shot to go. I think the USA needs to sweep the alternate shot.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I think it’s a number of things.
It’s a tough time of year for the US players to be on top of their game. The last big tournament for the top players was back in August. Their best player (Koepka) is out, DJ had knee surgery. A lot of them don’t know the course, and it’s the kind of track (as you alluded to) where experience plays a huge role. Add to that the 16 hour time difference. That’s JET LAG...
Excuses aside, Ernie Els owns the course record at Royal Melbourne, and he’s been a very shrewd captain so far with respect to pairings and imparting both knowledge and leadership to his team. And they have responded. Putting lights out, and playing great golf.
I haven’t liked the results so far, but I think the US players are giving it their all so, it’s not over yet.
And how do you beat the end of round 2? They could have easily been down 9-1, and instead it was 6.5 - 3.5. Huge clutch putts.
Fun to watch as a golf fan. 🙂

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-13-2019, 08:58 PM
Musical minimalist

Just looking for the "Miracle in Melbourne" tomorrow....

Old 12-14-2019, 10:57 AM

Very much enjoying it, and tonight's showing should be epic. Agree withe the poster who credits Ernie Els. He has told his players exactly how to play each shot on each hole. And they took advantage of that on day 1, when the USA team was trying to acclimate. Can't wait!
Old 12-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Musical minimalist

The momentum swings are killing me!! Just saw an amazing Tiger putt from WAY off hte green on 15!!

Old 12-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Musical minimalist

What a win for Tiger - he's tuned in as well as I've ever seen him. Amazing..

Old 12-14-2019, 08:56 PM

This is going to be a heck of a good finish. I can't stand the leader board they show. It's too difficult for me to tell the status of individual matches.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:26 AM
Musical minimalist

Well, that was one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. And for those that don't think Tiger has a heart, you must have not have seen the interview after they locked up the win. He was truly humble an emotional.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:08 PM

It was so intense. What a great tournament and comeback! Bring on the Ryder Cup!!
LarryK
Old 12-15-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
I think we have quite a few golf fans in our midst. Any thoughts on the terrible showing of the majority of the players on the US team? Has the course got the "whammy" on most of our team? It seems the approach shots hit by our side are poor (except for Tiger and Ricky who are hitting good approaches). They are running off the greens, etc. One question I have: It appears the players respect the course, but as a viewer it seems ridiculously tricky with slopes, curves, and even well struck short irons, wedges, are rolling off the back of the greens. Any thoughts?
You don't know golf. The more difficult the conditions, course, the better the tournament. What's wrong with pro golf is lack of legitimate challenges for these guys. If you thing tee shot 1/2 wedge to 75% of the holes is compelling, I disagree.

And your pre-judgement was off. Although US golfers are internationally over-rated and perform poorly, in this venue they made a good comeback and actually resembled a Team.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

A few years ago, when he got arrested for DUI, didn’t know where he was, and his back was so bad he could hardly move, I thought for sure we had seen the last of Tiger the golfer.
No one predicted what happened after that. Not only did he come back, but he won the Tour Championship, then went to win the Masters, and in September tied Sam Snead’s all time win record at 82.
And now as a playing captain, he clearly was the best player out there. By going out first in singles on the last day, he knew his opponent was going to be the Internationals’ hottest player, and so he took on the task with the most pressure riding on his shoulders. And won.
And it was a joy to watch. Vintage Woods at his very best.
As a captain, he sat himself down in spite of going 2-0 in the first day, just as a subtle message to his players that he trusted them. That paid off handsomely today when they really played inspired golf.

This entire competition was a real treat to watch.
I still feel bad for Ernie though. A great guy, who did all the right things for his team. He won’t admit it, but I’m sure a lot of this was personal for him too, going up against his forever nemesis Woods, who has now beaten him at every stage in his career in all possible formats. He’s feeling the sting I’m sure.

The younger Woods might have reacted with more cockiness, but the vintage Woods was both gracious and humble in victory.

All in all, this edition of the Presidents Cup was a real treat to watch. And a special shout-out to the course itself. Royal Melbourne sets an example imo for the kind of course they should all play these competitions on. A very demanding, but truly fair, course in terms of risk and reward.
Imagine what we'd shoot playing a course like that....

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-15-2019, 02:53 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post

The younger Woods might have reacted with more cockiness, but the vintage Woods was both gracious and humble in victory.

All in all, this edition of the Presidents Cup was a real treat to watch. And a special shout-out to the course itself. Royal Melbourne sets an example imo for the kind of course they should all play these competitions on. A very demanding, but truly fair, course in terms of risk and reward.
Imagine what we'd shoot playing a course like that....
I think what happened over the last 4 days, and especially in regard to Tiger, should go a long way to "validate" his career to those he lost in the scandal in '09.

There is no question he's re-invented himself in regard to golf and as a human being.

It made me even more thankful that I was living at this time and have been able to see his career unfold with all the magical moments.

As I've said many times before - when he tees it up, I almost feel obligated to watch, because it will be history one day!

Old 12-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
What a win for Tiger - he's tuned in as well as I've ever seen him. Amazing..
And it may be a "small" thing, but I think it is noticeable. Tiger has changed his on course demeanor quite a bit in general, more approachable, but still the stare is there when needed. When is the last time we saw Tiger spend as much time as he does in signing autographs, taking selfies with fans, and really engaged in the interviews. I think as time has passed Tiger is dealing with the "it's not gonna last forever" reality and he has decided to enjoy each day, regardless of win or lose. Don't misunderstand, he gives it his all on every round, but it isn't such a major disappointment to not win. And his celebration at Augusta National is going to be replayed for who knows how long! When Tiger finally doesn't play in the Ryder Cup you can bet your boots he will get the first opportunity to be captain. Hope I get to see it. As a Baby Boomer we have seen some classic golf, not to mention other super sports moments. We are a fortunate generation to say the least!
Old 12-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
You don't know golf. The more difficult the conditions, course, the better the tournament. What's wrong with pro golf is lack of legitimate challenges for these guys. If you thing tee shot 1/2 wedge to 75% of the holes is compelling, I disagree.

And your pre-judgement was off. Although US golfers are internationally over-rated and perform poorly, in this venue they made a good comeback and actually resembled a Team.
I take your critique as a response to what you may have perceived to be me complaining. I was simply pointing out that the International team managed to grasp that the greens needed to be approached in a manner that doesn't produce soft dropping wedges to 10 feet of the green. It took a deliberate decision to have their approaches land way short and roll to the pin. The internationals, generally, seemed to be more comfortable with the style of play it took to get around in a good score. However, our captain, did know, and he executed some of the best thought out approach shots of the event. And as the results show, the US Team definitely got it going, they learned and starting with some great putting and approach shots in the second session, foresomes, they demonstrated a team effort and a comeback that will be talked about for a very long time. And add the distraction of P. Reed's issues, a stellar victory by a group who came together as a team.

And to add just some history regarding course conditions, do you remember Payne Stewart in the 1998 US Open at Olympic Club where he stroked an 8ft birdie putt 35 feet down the hill. Other examples abound where tough turned into unfair, unplayable. Sometimes, difficult doesn't equate to great. Just this guy's take.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic