The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 11:50 AM

Default 6 Month Review: Taylor 517e Grand Pacific

This is a follow-up to the NGD post of my Taylor 517e from June 10, 2019 that can be found here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=549194

I like a NGD post very much. I enjoy sharing the excitement of the person who invested in an instrument and wants to communicate that with others. But I often wonder if the praise they give the instrument is based on initial excitement and/or really wanting to like what they purchased, and whether that praise continues over time. I often wonder what role that guitar ultimately played for them, how it fits in their arsenal, etc. So my attempt here is to share my thoughts on my 517e six months after I first received it.

Quite frankly, this is the first guitar I find myself going to when I walk into my office/guitar room. Its tone is focused, resonant, and warm. So much so that it draws my conscious attention when I am just intending to play a song. It has opened up noticeably in the six months I've had it, and even the stock tuners, which I swore I would replace for Gotoh 510s, have been noticeably responsive and are staying put. The only criticism I have is the ES2 system, which I find to turn the otherwise warm tone into something harsh and off-putting. Luckily for me, I do not amplify much when I play, so it is something I will happily live with.

I do not know what to attribute the guitar's wonderful sound to: The combination of Sitka Spruce and Mahagony, or the torrified top, or the V-class bracing, or something else. I suspect it is a combination of all of these things that, coupled with the comfort of the Builder's Edition contoured edges over the whole guitar, makes this guitar my go-to for almost any playing style. And that says a lot, being that I have a few other wonderful guitars, including a Gibson SJ-200 as well as a J-45, to choose from.

I am not brand loyal and do not find myself choosing a brand "camp;" I have loved guitars from all of the major makers and several small boutique brands. I do believe, however, that Andy Powers succeeded in creating a dreadnaught-shaped guitar whose sound harkens back to the days of the 1960s and 1970s singer-songwriters many of us love.

Hope you have enjoyed this, and I would encourage others to consider posting their thoughts on their special guitars once the honeymoon period has settled.
Preston Thompson: O Koa

Last edited by SoCalSurf; 12-13-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the follow up. I have the 317e... and I share many of the same thoughts you mentioned. I've recorded a few takes with it along with other guitars and when I play them back the Taylor always sounds top notch. The 317 isn't torrified so I don't know what makes sound better than other spruce tops but it really does shine.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Really appreciate the update! I too have a 517, and could pretty much echo your assessment. I didn't get the "e" version, but am using a Fishman Blackstack with my 517 right now. I've owned quite a few Taylors over the last 20 years, and ALL things considered, this is probably my favorite one - and that's saying something.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:58 PM

It’s nice to hear a revisited review.
It hasn’t been quite as long with my J15 but I have to say I like it even more now than when I bought it. My duet partner really likes it a lot and he isn’t necessarily a “Gibson person.”
I think that’s an indicator of a good guitar and a good personal match.
Thanks for the review!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Glad you are enjoying it still, SoCal!

My 717e is coming up to 10 months old and I have not changed a thing. Now, 2 or 3 weeks ago, I put a new set of Elixir mediums on and I can say it sounded incredible, then a friend came over to try my Gibson Dove (also with new strings!) and my 717e. He has ‘reverse Midas touch acid guitar killer skin’ and I made him wash his hands before playing....but he killed both! I had asked the Boss to get me the Elixirs while she went past a shop in the city where she works and of course they charged her double (full retail). The maple wood is getting the Dove over the line but the 717e, which he wants to buy similar and played more that day has no tone left and even gone a bit boomy. And the guitar shops I usually go to have zip (Christmas?). Suck it in.

.....the ES2.... I would never use a pickup direct to anything without some nice pre-ampage-ry magic box and while the ES2 sounds fair in my amp with both tone controls backed to a half and the volume back down a 1/8”, I really don’t think it would be going anywhere except a strict emergency that I can’t even imagine. BUT!!!! I have a Boss VE8 Acoustic Singer and the guitar input has some little fairies working to adjust the various stuff I plug in and one of the nicer guitars plugged in to it is the 717e. No effects, nothing but using the volume control to match my vocal mic level (advantage of vocalising is some spill in the SM58 from the guitar!). ES2 sounds great! I often run the Boss VE8 to a mixer and use headphones or in ear monitors to practice quietly for the ...others.... the ES2/717e has a beautiful tone to sing with plugged to the VE8. It also makes other weird and wacky pickups sound great too. No idea why?

BluesKing777.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:20 PM

3 months with my 717 and I'm still loving it. It's the thicker, more bassy Taylor for those who want to like Taylor but think the average GA is "thin."

It's still more balanced than my bass-biased D18, but that's what I like about it.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:31 PM

Love your post. I’m still very much in love with my 717 and 517. I prefer my 717, but its simply mainly just because it is a bit more full and loud. The 517 is the perfect finger style guitar for me. I’ve been considering selling the 517, but it seems that I’m dealing with the same old issues when trying to sell a Taylor.....the resale drops like a rock, and nobody wants one without the ES2. Oh well, it’s probably a sign to keep it.

Having said all that, I did play a Martin D28 today in a shop and I was reminded just how different the GPs are tonally. I bought a Line 6 Helix earlier this year, but I’m afraid I’m going to sell it and go all in on acoustic for the first time. Time to get another Martin...
Old 04-06-2020, 11:41 PM

How do you think will the 517 compare to a 327?
Old 04-07-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabst View Post
How do you think will the 517 compare to a 327?
I have not yet played a 327, so I cannot comment on how they may differ. I think the wood combination between the models may be the biggest difference in sound; the rest of the differences seem to be in comfort, as the Builder's Editions have rounded edges, etc. I have heard tremendous things from 327 owners, and I absolutely love the 517. So I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Best of luck!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Thank-you for the follow-up! Always great to hear about a guitar after the honeymoon is over. Although you're not 'brand loyal' do you think you may get another Taylor in the future? You've got a couple of great Gibsons ... perhaps a Martin to round things out?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Play On!

I've had my Taylor 717e Grand Pacific WHB Builder's Edition for about 4 months and I'm enjoying it and it'll be one of my keepers!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-07-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
.......I like a NGD post very much. I enjoy sharing the excitement of the person who invested in an instrument and wants to communicate that with others. But I often wonder if the praise they give the instrument is based on initial excitement and/or really wanting to like what they purchased, and whether that praise continues over time. I often wonder what role that guitar ultimately played for them, how it fits in their arsenal, etc.

........Hope you have enjoyed this, and I would encourage others to consider posting their thoughts on their special guitars once the honeymoon period has settled.
Here ya go...

I made a NGD post 3 1/2 years ago when I purchased my Yamaha FG800. Yep, it's not a fancy nor high-end model, but I still have it and play it most every day. It's special to me in that it allowed me to do something (i.e. learn to play guitar) I had yearned to do but had put off for many years. I have purchased 2 other "higher-end" models since then, but for whatever reason I prefer my FG800. I just love the tone it puts out.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:30 PM

Nice review. Thanks for the info! I would love to have one some day.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:53 AM

Thanks, everybody. This is an older thread that was resurrected by a question comparing the 517 to the 327 yesterday.

Suffice it to say that I still love the 517!
Old 04-08-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I had the chance to demo both the 517 and 717 last year and while I found both pleasing the 517 was my favorite.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion