The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-27-2019, 06:33 AM

Default Advice on SJ-200 bridge attachment to body

Hi,
I have a brand new recently bought Gibson SJ-200 and I recently noticed the curly-moustahce side of the bridge on the bass side is not fully connected to the body (you can insert a thin sheet of paper about half and inch).

Has anyone experienced this? Since it is on the side of the bridge, I am hoping that it can be clamped down with some glue insertion, without the need for the bridge to be taken off completely and reglued. Would it work?

Hock
Old 11-27-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I would contact Gibson about it. If the guitar is new it's under warranty. Hopefully there's an easier fix than shipping it off to Montana. I know Martin has certified repair techs around the country I would think Gibson would have something similar?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 11-27-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:38 AM

Thanks, yes I will contact Gibson, just wanted to know what the repairs should be like, whether clamping typically work, or the bridge needs to come off and reglued.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I know Martin has certified repair techs around the country I would think Gibson would have something similar?
I do warranty work for Gibson and Martin vee their distributors here in Australia, so yes Gibson do have people that have been endorsed to do said work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkolu View Post
Thanks, yes I will contact Gibson, just wanted to know what the repairs should be like, whether clamping typically work, or the bridge needs to come off and reglued.
To be guaranteed it will stay down, we remove and refit the bridge

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-29-2019, 12:09 PM

Thanks. I would hate to have the bridge come off completely. I was hoping the fact that it is on the squiggly moustance edge of the bridge they can try to slip in some glue and press it down gently. Have you ever done that to give it a try?
Old 11-29-2019, 07:31 PM

No.

There are right ways and wrong ways and areas of grey inbetween.

When an instrument is being repaired under warranty the manufacturer wants the issue dealt with once and not an ongoing situation, to make that happen we do a process we know that works not a fingers crossed process.

What you do with your guitar is your choice

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-30-2019, 01:41 AM

Confirming you have never done it, wish you were clearer. Is inserting glue to the edge and clamping in "areas of grey"? If so why? Why does the process always has to be pull out the bridge and reglue? In my case 95% of the bridge is firmly attached.

Anyone else have any experience with reattaching a bridge without having to take it off?
Old 11-30-2019, 03:57 AM

Umm, not to sure how much clearer you want the answer.

The issue you have and you do not know the answer for is Does the existing disbond have glue on either of the surfaces i.e the top or the bridge

If old glue is present on either surface then your reglue job will fail if any tension is applied, as you cannot glue to glue (unless its hide glue and its not hide glue on your guitar) you can only glue wood to wood, some people will take your money and put glue in regardless, some people will do it themselves regardless, as that is the answer they wish to hear.

If no glue is present between the bridge and the top as the manufacturer missed that specific area then yes fresh glue will hold.

If you take your guitar in to a repair shop wanting warranty work done and they identify you have glued it yourself and should not have you will not be covered and the cost will be borne by you, approximatley 120-200 dollar range provided some of the top has also not torn out due to the job not being done correctly

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 11-30-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:22 AM

That makes sense. Thank you. I will be sure to check with the repair shop if there is pre existing glue or not and ask if possible not to remove the whole thing.

Another reason I am hesitant is I got the bridge reglued by an authorized Gibson shop on an older Dove and I noticed there was a thin line of white residue (glue?) around the base of the bridge after the job was completed. Is that expected?
Old 12-01-2019, 03:31 AM

Quick bump:
Is thin line of white residue tracing the bottom of of the reglued bridge expected after a full bridge reglue?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2019, 06:43 AM

Bump on residue question
Old 12-06-2019, 07:47 AM

Bump on residue question.
Is it expected to have a white line around the base of the bridge after the reglue operation?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:15 AM

If done well, there should generally be no evidence that a bridge has been removed and reglued. No, there probably shouldn't be a white line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair