The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Cool

Have played mandolin for amost 50 years (dang, I feel old reading that! ), but only recently started playing electric mandolin (did have piezo p/us on several acoustic mandos over the years, but never liked how they sounded through an electric guitar amp).

A couple of months ago my favorite mando was stolen (see pic...there's a reward if anyone has a line on it, btw)

so I was w/o one until a couple weeks ago, when I was given a rather modest instrument (but with a very comfortable neck)...shortly thereafter, I played an electric mando made out of an equally modest instrument and decided to make an electric mando out of this one. Was pleasantly surprised out how great it sounds, and how loud it can be run (w/o feeedback squeals) through my electric guitar amp!

THe best part is that through my amp's "Clean" channel, it actually sounds like a real mandolin, not a tiny electric guitar.

I call it my "Poorman's EM-150".
Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 PM

Smile Instruments my 401M retirement plan

My retirement investment plan a 401M:
I have a 54 Gibson A model, an Alvarez A model, an Alvarez F800, and would like a 70's era Alvarez F like an idiot I sold 30 years ago.
I have Gibson bowtie RB 250 banjo, Alvarez Denver Belle, and CG home made 5 string banjo and an upright Englehart bass.
I recently purchased a banjolin made in 40's-50's.
Gibson L0, Gibson J45, Martin 0M28 HD, Taylors Jumbo 418, Big baby, and baby. Alvarez Yari custom, Ovation Anniversary (around 1977), Melissa Ethrige 12 str Ovation
3 fiddles
I buy them wrecked and repair them-------after adoption and rehab-I really have troiuble parting eith them.
I played piano as per mom when a kid--chose banjo next, then mandolin --then guitar.
I still play them all a little, but mostly Guitar and Banjo
Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM

Default Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I have been playing acoustic guitar for forty years (although I still am a mediocre player, sigh...) just for my own pleasure, and several months ago I started feeling the need and the curiosity to try some other stringed instruments and see if there is something else, besides guitar, that attracts me and that I would like to learn. What a journey ! I bought (and re-sold) several instruments.
I tried the 5 string banjo, the ukulele, the bouzouki, the mandolin.
(I also tried some non stringed instruments, but this is will be part of a different thread).
Of all of them, the one that I really felt in love with (AFTER my guitars) is the mandolin. I still don't know how to play it well (I am working with instructional books and CDs) but there is something in the sound of the mandolin that gives me pleasure. It is also very pleasant to play, with its small size and those small high tension strings.
I just wonder how many other members in this forum share an interest for this
instrument.
Yes i have a variety of musical instruments including guitar, violin, accordion and my Johnson mandolin which i adore-pick it up when the boys drop over rather frequently!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM

(raises hand) I do- and I can't decide which of them I love more, honestly. My solo shows are split 60/40 guitar and mandolin. The latter never fails to break up the set in a unique and fun way- for both myself and, I hope, the audience. Though I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the question, "Um, is that a ukelele? I've never seen one that looks like that!"
Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 PM

I have two mandolins, one ADAD tuned and one normal.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 PM

I started off as a mandolin player (well, a wind player - whistle and flute) about 5 years ago, and have only started playing guitar steadily for the past several months. I do consider the mandolin as my main instrument, as it's the stringed instrument I stand some chance of getting good at. However, I'm finding finger-picking the guitar to be great fun, and a nice contrast to the mando.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Does "had" a mandolin count?

I had a Loar 525 for a little while, before I realized that I was more of a banjo guy at heart. Great instrument, though.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM

Had a couple others, but now playing a Kentucky 505. Nice instrument for the price.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

we have two webbers in the house-my 10 year old daughter was a natural, everybody was amazed with her speedy learning and abilities-then all of a sudden she came in before her first year of classes were over and announced it was work and the fun was gone-we left it alone after gentle prodding-she choose travel basketball over it, and thats okay-at least the seed was planted.

wife has another weber, the cool all dark glove leather stained edition-she plays by ear and does it quite well.

necks are just too small for me

d
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Had cheapy mandolins for a long time until treating myself to a very nice Fylde cedar/walnut one 18 months ago. Here is a quick Zoom H2 recording I did soon after getting it, with my Fylde Custom Alexander as backup -
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9584073

My enjoyment of playing mando increased hugely once I got this lovely instrument. My ability has not yet shown a similar increase!!
Keith
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Just a few weeks ago I got an old, no-brand-name bowl backed mandolin at my local music store. The guy thinks it is from around 1910, probably made in Chicago. He thinks it had a paper label inside that is long lost. The back is made of strips of black walnut and mahogany, spruce flat top, most of the rest is maple. It plays great, and I think sounds pretty good. At $200 I might have paid a little too much, but I didn't expect to see a playable old bowl backer again anytime soon. I only know 4 chords, but I like it! Don't know what the neighbors think ...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 PM

Am nobody's mando-xpert but have had & enjoyed a '17 Gibson A-1 for decades. Only one I've ever had or likely will ['cept for some pure wall-hangers]. I've always played so much more guitar but am grateful to have this'n, especially as a "house" instr if a good mando-plyr comes over.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 PM

Just bought one today The Loar 520. Take my first lesson Wednesday.
Martin 00015SM
Eastman MD515 Mandolin
Eastman MD315 Mandolin
Old 03-15-2012, 05:19 AM

Mandolings are great fun. The tuning is a bit of head-trip, but it's a cool sound anyways.

I actually have two. Or one and a half. The one on the left is a banjolin from the 30s. The tuners are a bit... Bad. Been thinking about restoring it for a while, but time will show. The other one is my "go to". A simple Fender. Been thinking about adding something to amplify it, but I'm still not sure what solution I'll go for with that.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

So guitarists need to learn to listen with a different set of ears when selecting a mandolin, if playing with other people is the ultimate goal. Archtop mandolins that might seem a bit cold and sterile-sounding when played in isolation can sometimes really sound marvelous when played in a group, and it takes a while to be able to pick out which mandolins will sound best in that situation.r
Wade, thanks so much for that insite! Been fooling around with a 56 Martin oval hole Martin that sounds great at home. Went to Acoustic Vibes and just couldn't "get" the beautiful F models. Seemed thin and nasally to me. Now I understand.

Love your National, by the way!

Peace,
James

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments