The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 PM

Default Interval Training

There's a new iphone app that apparently trains you to recognize intervals by ear (3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc). I dont know much about how good it is...

...but Im wondering if everyone thinks that being able to recognize an interval by ear would be beneficial to guitar playing, and particularly, improvising, or working out a song.

Now, I know that knowing intervals by ear "couldn't hurt," but I'm more asking if you think its worth investing the time into that particular excersize, or is it maybe not such a necessary ability or skill when learning guitar? The fact is that time is valuable, and while I wish guitar were my full time job, it's not...so I want to make sure my learning time is put to the best use possible. If you think interval training would only be of negligible benefit--or if you think it's of great help in working songs out, or imporvising--please tell me...

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:19 AM

Just looked at the description on iTunes. Might be worth a try. There are several different apps that do this - from $.99 up to $14.99
2101 Voyage Air VAD-06 Travel Dread
Danelectro '64
Kala ASAC-T Solid Acacia Ukulele
'81 Peavey T-40 bass

... and my baby - Bruce Johnson hand made AUB-2 Ampeg Scroll fretless bass - #30
Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
There's a new iphone app that apparently trains you to recognize intervals by ear (3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc). I dont know much about how good it is...

...but Im wondering if everyone thinks that being able to recognize an interval by ear would be beneficial to guitar playing, and particularly, improvising, or working out a song.

Now, I know that knowing intervals by ear "couldn't hurt," but I'm more asking if you think its worth investing the time into that particular excersize, or is it maybe not such a necessary ability or skill when learning guitar? The fact is that time is valuable, and while I wish guitar were my full time job, it's not...so I want to make sure my learning time is put to the best use possible. If you think interval training would only be of negligible benefit--or if you think it's of great help in working songs out, or imporvising--please tell me...

Thanks!
In short - probably. If you want to write music, or work it out other people's music by ear, interval training is immensely valuable. This is why almost every university music department in the world requires extensive interval training of its students.

Interval training does not just teach you how to hear the relationships between the notes in a melody. Later, it also teaches you to be able to immediately recognize chord inversions and even some other details of voicings being used.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 AM

Back in the stone ages, it was part of a course I took freshman year at the Crane School of Music, called Fundamental Aural Skills. PRobably still is . Very valuable course.....and as immature freshman will do, we had a ball with the course name!

1852 Dutch Barn
1895 Farmhouse
1964 Long Island Blonde
2002 Yellow Lab
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM

As a musician, any kind of ear training can be beneficial.

If you haven't received formal musical training, I'd say yes, interval training is a good idea.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
......but Im wondering if everyone thinks that being able to recognize an interval by ear would be beneficial to guitar playing, and particularly, improvising, or working out a song.
Hi Duke…
When recognizing intervals without contemplating is as ''natural'' as spellling words in your head, then it is a tremendous benefit to playing melody lines, lead parts and picking up new songs.

Like any other skill in the musical sense it takes practice and use to be beneficial. So whether it's an iPhone app or a junior college course on interval training (or any other plan) it is of great benefit once you've gone through baby-steps and graduated to jogging...

As one who transcribes in my head, it all began with recognizing intervals.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
There's a new iphone app that apparently trains you to recognize intervals by ear (3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc).... Im wondering if everyone thinks that being able to recognize an interval by ear would be beneficial to guitar playing, and particularly, improvising, or working out a song. Now, I know that knowing intervals by ear "couldn't hurt," but I'm more asking if you think its worth investing the time into that particular excersize, or is it maybe not such a necessary ability or skill when learning guitar?
I believe it is worth every second you invest in it if you want to be able to play by ear. I am sure you know players who can hear a song and pick up a guitar and play it right away without the need to listen to it over and over or the need to get the tab etc.. That is the value of being able to hear intervals. IMO it is the most valuable skill to have if you want to play be ear.

Further down the road you will also see that it aids in tranposing keys. Once you master intervals, you will be envied by many of your guitar playing friends. The freedom to play almost anything you hear is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:59 AM

I agree. As a musician, ear training is very important. Knowing what key a song is in and being able to jump in at a moments notice is essential if you are planning on being a professional musician.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmatrix View Post
I agree. As a musician, ear training is very important. Knowing what key a song is in and being able to jump in at a moments notice is essential if you are planning on being a professional musician.
Thanks for the input, capmatrix, and welcome to AGF. I suspect you'll have a lot to offer.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write