The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 03:58 PM

Default NGD (+1): Faith PJE Legacy Neptune

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on the forum, but I've been lurking for the last few weeks! I first learnt to play guitar around 10 years ago and spent a fair amount of time on the forum back then, but I stopped playing a couple of years later. I write and release electronic music and my focus shifted entirely towards that, to the detriment of my guitar playing, unfortunately, and I sold my guitars to free up some spending money for my electronic music production.

Then, out of nowhere, I recently got the urge to pick up a guitar again and have thrown myself into re-learning all that I had forgotten. I've really enjoyed the process and am determined to stick with it this time!

Inevitably, since I started playing again I got GAS! I've been trying to hold off but had to scratch the itch so headed up to Anderton's Music (a great music store in the UK) and had a lot of fun going through their acoustic collection with the help of one of the sales guys there, Matt. He was great, super-helpful and very passionate. Also, I later found out via Matt that Mark Knopfler was in the 'acoustic room' at the same time as me trying out guitars for his Granddaughter - neither of us realised it was him at the time! I believe Matt said he ended up buying her a Taylor K24ce – lucky for some!

Deciding what to go with was a really hard decision - I played some great guitars, but equally I was a little underwhelmed by some that I was expecting to like. I very nearly came home with a Sire R7 which really surprised me with how good it sounded – it blew some Martins and Taylors (that were 2 or 3 times more expensive!) out of the water - to my ears, anyway. For £699 it's an absolute bargain and if you're in the market for something new, I would highly recommend giving them a look. I also played a nice Alvarez and a very nice Gibson Montana J45 Studio.

Finally, I tried the Faith PJE Legacy Neptune (having had to wait a couple of hours for them to bring it over from the warehouse.) It was on my list of guitars I was keen to try and I quickly knew it was the one. I love it's understated aesthetics – I think it's genuinely beautiful with its torrefied spruce top, flamed maple bindings, macassan pickguard and abalone rosette. It plays really nicely and I appreciate the 45mm nut and slightly thicker neck profile – they're helping out with my dodgy technique! Most importantly, it sounds amazing. It has a real warmth to it with a focussed low end, defined mids and just enough top-end sparkle.

Anyway, here's some pictures on Flickr....

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJV18tQ

(I couldn't work out how to add them to the post itself - I don't seem to have an Attachment icon anywhere.)
Old 12-09-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Wow - great looking guitar! I'm not too familiar with Faith Guitars, but that sure looks like a nice one. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-10-2019, 07:05 AM

Congratulations on getting your Faith guitar! Enjoy playing and bonding with it!

Interesting that you mentioned the K24CE. It’s my dream guitar but I’ve settled with my “poor man’s alternative”, the Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-10-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Wow - great looking guitar! I'm not too familiar with Faith Guitars, but that sure looks like a nice one. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you!
Faith guitars are designed by a British luthier called Patrick James Eggle and built in Indonesia. They have a huge range - I'd definitely recommend checking them out!
Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Congratulations on getting your Faith guitar! Enjoy playing and bonding with it!

Interesting that you mentioned the K24CE. It’s my dream guitar but I’ve settled with my “poor man’s alternative”, the Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst.
Thank you
The K24CE is beautiful, isn't it... I wish I had played it before it was sold!
Old 12-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Patrick James Eggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Hi,
As the OP says, they are designed and imported by Patrick Eggle (born in the UK but has worked both in the USA and UK). He moved back to the UK for their children's education.
Nice, genuine guy - I met him at a promotion event in, I believe 2002.

He is well known for his electric guitars but started up a workshop making pretty high level acoustics some years ago.

He introduced Faith Guitars as a budget line, made by an Indonesian maker.

The high value guitar market is not that healthy at present but mid price and budget products continue to sell and Faith products are certainly of good value and very good quality.

I believe the Patrick and his team are still making electrics but have suspended the Eggle brand of acoustics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion