The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, all, especially Charles and Simon. These are two different guitars, and the location is isolated to where my picking arm rests across the side of the guitar. On the one guitar, it's just over the binding edge and no more than 1-2" wide. On the other guitar, it's maybe a 2x2" area on the side... again, very isolated to where my arm has contact with the guitar. And you're correct that it appears raised (or at least uneven), not scratched, and I'll continue to see if I can get anything to come off (or if it is some permanent damage).

My guess is also some combo of sweat and/or deodorant, combined with body heat from holding the guitar more tightly than I should. I tend to run hot, so when I play, I can work up a sweat. I also thought about residual chlorine from pool water, which could have remained on my skin from earlier the same day (I towel dry, but do not shower after using our pool/hot tub).

Jesse, there's nothing on the top or anywhere near the pickguard, so I think my issue is different than yours.

I have some old long-sleeve shirts, which I may repurpose their sleeves for playing to prevent it from happening on my other guitars (which all seem fine). Also, standing up to play may provide less exposure or pressure from my picking arm.

I really appreciate all the thoughts and insights. More to follow, if I am able to fix thes uneven areas (or not).
Old 12-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Thanks, all, especially Charles and Simon. These are two different guitars, and the location is isolated to where my picking arm rests across the side of the guitar. On the one guitar, it's just over the binding edge and no more than 1-2" wide. On the other guitar, it's maybe a 2x2" area on the side... again, very isolated to where my arm has contact with the guitar. And you're correct that it appears raised (or at least uneven), not scratched, and I'll continue to see if I can get anything to come off (or if it is some permanent damage).

My guess is also some combo of sweat and/or deodorant, combined with body heat from holding the guitar more tightly than I should. I tend to run hot, so when I play, I can work up a sweat. I also thought about residual chlorine from pool water, which could have remained on my skin from earlier the same day (I towel dry, but do not shower after using our pool/hot tub).

Jesse, there's nothing on the top or anywhere near the pickguard, so I think my issue is different than yours.

I have some old long-sleeve shirts, which I may repurpose their sleeves for playing to prevent it from happening on my other guitars (which all seem fine). Also, standing up to play may provide less exposure or pressure from my picking arm.

I really appreciate all the thoughts and insights. More to follow, if I am able to fix thes uneven areas (or not).
Just an FYI I've found the easiest thing for my arm to not leave marks are these UV sleeves. I forget they're even there and I don't have sweat marks on my guitars anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TWJ7LL
Old 12-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Just an FYI I've found the easiest thing for my arm to not leave marks are these UV sleeves. I forget they're even there and I don't have sweat marks on my guitars anymore.

Thx, Jesse. Order placed! I'm extremely sensitive to neoprene, so I'm hoping that the lycra spandex (8%) doesn't give me a reaction. If so, Amazon has free returns.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:43 PM

I don't know how thick the nitro is on those, but I buff my Gibson SGs down when they get scratched, rough, or cloudy. I do try and only do this occasionally. But if you're careful and do this by hand, it will work wonders, Beside the cloudy, I've removed scratches, marks, and mild pitting by doing this.

Naphtha for cleaning first, and then Meguiars rubbing compound and polish. Use 100% cotton or the yellow flannel rags. Apply all by hand, to the rag first, be gental, and don't cross contaminate.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post

Hey, Jesse! These delivered on Tuesday, and I've been wearing the one sleeve consistently since. It's fairly comfortable that I don't notice it's there, while I'm playing, and it seems to do the job with protection. Thanks again for the suggestion!
Old 12-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Try some of this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...SABEgLBY_D_BwE

It took some spots off my J45 that were very similar to what you have.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, Jesse! These delivered on Tuesday, and I've been wearing the one sleeve consistently since. It's fairly comfortable that I don't notice it's there, while I'm playing, and it seems to do the job with protection. Thanks again for the suggestion!
Glad you liked them. That's what I like about them, I hardly notice it's there and I don't have to deal with the stickiness of my arm on the body anymore.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Birchtop and rockdog49. My Virtuoso cleaner and polish deliver today, so I'm going to try those first. It seems imbedded into the finish, rather than on top of it, so I'm thinking it may not come out easily.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Birchtop and rockdog49. My Virtuoso cleaner and polish deliver today, so I'm going to try those first. It seems imbedded into the finish, rather than on top of it, so I'm thinking it may not come out easily.
If that’s the case, the Scratch X will either remove it or help enormously.
Good luck.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion