The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Bumpy Nitro Finish

Greetings, all. On a couple of my guitars, I've noticed some small spots where the nitro finish has gotten rough and bumpy. It's right where my upper arm contacts with the side of the guitar along the lower bout. I play seated and in t-shirts, and admittedly, I get a little heated up when I play. But I'm also pretty good about giving my guitars a quick wipe down at the end of each session. The tops seem fine, aside from a little clouding where you'd expect it.

I'm thinking the nitro finish may be getting affected by my body sweat, deodorant, detergent, or contact with some other foreign substance. Or maybe my clothing is causing an abrasion onto the surface as I'm "hugging" the guitar too tight, when I play. I don't have any other contact with chemicals, although I've played a few times after using our pool and hot tub (I was dry, but maybe chlorine remained on my skin).

Am I melting the nitro finish? Or is this just the nitro getting "worn" from daily playing? I can post some photos, if needed. Can this be corrected? My normal cleaners haven't worked, so I just ordered Virtuoso cleaner and polish online.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:47 PM

I don’t have much direct info to offer you, but I will be watching this thread with interest. I am waiting for delivery of a new instrument having a nitro finish. I’m wondering how durable these finishes are, how generally finicky they might be, etc...

I guess one good thing about them, as I understand it, is that they are easier to fix should you encounter any significant cosmetic issues you can’t live with.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-30-2019, 12:50 PM

My first guess was insect repellant, closely followed by deodorant.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:51 PM

You can use a very light compounding to buff it out, but there will only be so many times you can pull that off before taking off too much finish.

You can most easily find this stuff in auto parts stores and the popular Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze is stocked at most big box stores.

If decide to buff it out, you should also plan to play in long sleeves.

As an example of OCD that highlights illness over problem solving, my wife made me a single long sleeve with a bit of elastic that I kept in the case for those short sleeve days.

Or you could buy a guitar with a poly finish, like a Taylor or my RainSongs.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-30-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:02 PM

I almost always play in long sleeves and ALWAYS wipe my guitars down after each session.

Some argue that's too regimented. Some of those have cloudy spots where their arm rests.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-30-2019, 04:16 PM

I'd need photos to make any informed comment.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Try some McGuires Scratch X.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'd need photos to make any informed comment.
Here you go. Sorry they're not better photos, but it's very difficult to get them to show on a photo (esp. on a gloomy winter day). In fact, it's not easy to see in person (only when the light reflects a certain way), but I can feel it.

Photo #1: along the binding:

Photo #2: along the Rosewood side:
Old 11-30-2019, 06:57 PM

I believe you're on the right track with Virtuoso, a high quality product. If those don't remove or improve it, I would leave it. They don't look too bad. Not sure if they will completely disappear? Then I would buy a couple soft cotton, white, long sleeve shirts, especially for Costa Rica.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. FYI, I haven't been taking my guitars down to CR. They've been staying with me here in the safe weather of Northern CA. Virtuoso delivers later this week.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
On a couple of my guitars, I've noticed some small spots where the nitro finish has gotten rough and bumpy....

I'm thinking the nitro finish may be getting affected by my body sweat, deodorant, detergent, or contact with some other foreign substance. Or maybe my clothing is causing an abrasion ...

Am I melting the nitro finish? Or is this just the nitro getting "worn" from daily playing?... Can this be corrected? My normal cleaners haven't worked, so I just ordered Virtuoso cleaner and polish online.
You state that it is occurring on a couple of your guitars. That suggests that it is not specific to any one guitar, which rules out a few things.

It isn't normal "abrasion" or "wear". If rubbing with a soft cloth dampened with warm water doesn't remove it, you can try rubbing with a little lighter fluid (naphtha) on a soft cloth. if neither of those remedy it, it is likely heat or chemical attack. Neither of those can be "corrected" short of repairing the finish.

As others have suggested, a barrier, such as long sleeves, should prevent further deterioration.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 AM

These nitro finishes sound like more of a pain in the butt than anything...I hope this thing I ordered doesn't end up being a nightmare in this regard lol
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-01-2019, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Here you go. Sorry they're not better photos, but it's very difficult to get them to show on a photo (esp. on a gloomy winter day). In fact, it's not easy to see in person (only when the light reflects a certain way), but I can feel it.
That's strange I have that exact kind of spot on my Eastman but it's right below the pickguard. I kind of assumed it was either from pick strokes or just an uneven finish applied at Eastman. I am also assuming both of these guitars of yours are your Eastmans?
Old 12-01-2019, 10:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Is this issue present only in that one specific location? -- look under a light and "swipe" the light's point source across the finish. Looking at the edge of the light as it moves across the surface is the easiest way to see all the imperfections.

If this issue is only in that one location, a couple things come to mind. The first would be deodorant/cologne/moisturizer -- any type of product you put on your skin. The other is sweat. Some people's skin/sweat is really rough on nitro and a lot of chemicals can damage nitro as well. So try and isolate the cause and make sure you avoid it in the future. Your clothing isn't a problem as the surface is "raised" rather than scratched. Detergent could possibly be a problem - do the clothes come out of the dryer with a strong scent and remain that way?

Wiping with a damp cloth after playing the guitar is always a good idea.

In terms of repair -- you need to level and buff. Lots of different products out there that will all yield good results by hand. However, if you have a local repair shop that can do this for you - I recommend taking it to them.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I either wear long sleeves, or on short sleeve playing sessions, I slide on one of those sweat bands (like Mark Knopfler used to use) and adjust it high on my forearm where the forearm contacts the edge of the lower bout. I've been doing this for years with no issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion