The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Emerald guitar gig bag

I'm getting closer. If I get an X10 I'm considering getting both the hardshell case and the gig bag. Though not sure why I would want a hardshell case since the guitars are so sturdy. I'd always want a hardshell case for wooden guitars.

Are there easily available in the U.S.A. gig bags that would fit the X10? What do you think of the gig bags that are made for the Emerald guitars.

Thanks for your thoughts.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

The Hiscox cases are very light and offer very decent protection. If it were me, I'd take the Hiscox and forget about the gig bag...
Old 12-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The Hiscox cases are very light and offer very decent protection. If it were me, I'd take the Hiscox and forget about the gig bag...
Yeah, I agree. The Hiscox are quite nice and very light.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Well, here I am, the contrarian: when I ordered my X10, I went for the gig bag instead of the Hiscox Lite Flight Case. Don't read anything into that other than I really like their gig bags. I have the Hiscox case on my X20, and it is my favorite of the hard shell cases. A gig bag works for me, because I am the only one handling my guitar. It travels with us, but almost always in our motorhome. If I were taking it on a commercial airline, I would opt for the Hiscox case - it is sturdy and lightweight.

Carbon fiber guitars are tougher than their wooden counterparts, but they are not indestructible. If there's a crunch, crush, or bump potential, I would go for the Hiscox case. The gig bag for the X10 is the "rounded triangle" shape rather than the shape of the guitar - it offers good protection, has a storage pouch, is lightweight, and comfortable to carry on your back with the straps.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I've got one of each as well. The Hiscox case is light, and easy to carry - but I'd still choose the gigbag for any time I leave the house with either guitar, as long as I know it's going to be under my control all the time.

I suspect you'd be able to find a third-party gigbag to fit an X10 much more easily than a hard case.

I'd rather have the Emerald one, so I can happily do some free advertising for them while I'm out and about - so I'd buy both
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 12-09-2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Correcting appalling sentence structure and grammar.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

If I was planning on flying with the guitar, I'd go for the case. If not, os if I was gonna be the only "baggage handler" it was likely to encounter, I'd go for the gig bag. You don't need to worry about environmental factors, only hard impacts. I had the case with my X20 and have just a gig bag with my X7 and the gig bag is more than enough for me...

-Ray
Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 PM

I have a 2010 X7 (I'll bet that's the oldest Emerald on this group!) and found that the gigbag after a couple of years became unusable because the sharp ends of the strings at the headstock ripped the nylon on that part of the bag. So, if I had the choice, I'd go with the case.

Too bad, because it was a great bag with lots of extra space (when the X7 was my travel guitar, I used to be able to pack a lot of clothes in the case next to the guitar).
Old 12-09-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I have a 2010 X7 (I'll bet that's the oldest Emerald on this group!) and found that the gigbag after a couple of years became unusable because the sharp ends of the strings at the headstock ripped the nylon on that part of the bag.
Was the gigbag the same as the one they're using now? Would any other gigbag have had the same problem?

More importantly, can I buy you a string cutter?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I have a 2010 X7 (I'll bet that's the oldest Emerald on this group!) and found that the gigbag after a couple of years became unusable because the sharp ends of the strings at the headstock ripped the nylon on that part of the bag. So, if I had the choice, I'd go with the case.
Older than my 2010 X10?

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 12-09-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks for all your thoughts. Lots to consider. I like that the hiscox case is light yet protective. I've lugged around some overly heavy hard cases. And Kramster, that is one pretty guitar.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 12-09-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Too bad, because it was a great bag with lots of extra space (when the X7 was my travel guitar, I used to be able to pack a lot of clothes in the case next to the guitar).
Use the "Doyle Dykes" method and that will never happen to a gig bag of yours again. I'm surprised more people don't do this and I've been advertising it here for a while now. It works perfectly- no more sharp gauge 12 or 16 needles of death, and I've never had a tuning stability problem- but stability goes way up with those string ends poking out. You don't have to watch the whole video, skip to the 9:50 mark (unless you want to hear the master player talk of course)

Old 12-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

For me, the gig bag wins, hands down. I insist on all my cases having backpack straps, so since the Hiscox doesn’t, I prefer the gig bag. Admittedly, I only use hard cases with my wood guitars - but even make sure those have backpack straps too (like my beloved Visesnut case).
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-09-2019, 09:10 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Was the gigbag the same as the one they're using now? Would any other gigbag have had the same problem?

More importantly, can I buy you a string cutter?
I think the bag is the same as they currently use:

And, apparently, mine is about three months younger than @Kramster's X10.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Use the "Doyle Dykes" method and that will never happen to a gig bag of yours again. I'm surprised more people don't do this and I've been advertising it here for a while now. It works perfectly- no more sharp gauge 12 or 16 needles of death, and I've never had a tuning stability problem- but stability goes way up with those string ends poking out. You don't have to watch the whole video, skip to the 9:50 mark (unless you want to hear the master player talk of course)

I've never seen that before! I will give it a try.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:26 PM

I went hard case for the shipping.... I have a plethora of Gator and Access cases lying around...... then again, I don't know if the X-30 will fit in any of them lol.....

I carry out of the house in gig bags. And yes, they are always under my control. Even on the airplane.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber