The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone tried the Martin 000jr-10?

Hi All,

Just curious if anyone has had a chance to play the 000jr-10? Thoughts on this compared to the D-Jr (either old or new version) and the GS Mini? I'm considering getting rid of my GS Mini koa in favor of a guitar with a 1.75" nut width. I like the D-Jr fine, but am pretty intrigued by the shape/size of the 000jr-10.

Let me know if you've played one and how it stacks up to the other Jrs/Minis
Old 12-09-2019, 03:13 PM

I tried both and bought the d jr 10. The 000 is pretty darn nice though. The dread had gobs more low end and a more tame mid range voice. It sounded like a Martin for sure. The 000 sounded more focused and modern. It had a tight low end but it lacked the presence the dread had.

They both have the Martin Retro strings in the store. I cant say enough bad things about those strings on the D-JR-10. Moving to standard Martin P/B 13s was very rewarding. I eventually settled on the Santa Cruz medium parabolics and all I can say is WOWOWOW its an entire new instrument imo. I cant for the life of me figure out why they would put the retros on this instrument. People are going to compare it to the GS Mini and the GS is going to win against a retro strung JR imo. The retro strings imo are costing them a lot of sales.

The new JRs really are a lot of fun and unlike the GS I feel right at home on that fat nut.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:15 PM

I bought this guitar exactly one month ago. I love this guitar. I changed the retro strings because I didn't like the sound. Now I have elixirs on it and the sound is much nicer in my opinion. I also sanded down just a little bit the saddle and is perfect now, very easy to play. Before I had a Harley Benton copy of the gs mini and the difference and feel in the nut width is huge. Martin neck doesn't feel so small like gs mini, it feels like a regular size guitar.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:24 PM
AGF Administrator

I tried it for a while. The Retro strings aren't doing it any favors. After swapping them out for PBs, the guitar sounded better and was comparable in tone to the GS Mini (though I personally give the edge to the GS Mini). The original D Jr before the refresh with the thinner body is the best of Martin's Jr lineup in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:59 PM

I have both, the older Martin jr D and the Martin 000Cjr10e. I found not much difference in sound. They both play terrific and do not sound boxy at all.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:54 PM

Where have I been? Never heard of this before! Looks really cool. Perfect couch player.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:27 PM

Bump for more opinions. I have (and love) the Taylor Academy 12e, but think I'd prefer the 24" scale and 1.75" width.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:07 PM

The 000cjr-10e is wonderful....it’s a nice short-scale break for my hands and it sounds and feels remarkable.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:34 PM

Well it has been a while and I have only just caught up having bought the last OOOJR-10 here downunder.

The Retros which come with the guitar seem to create love/hate reactions. I am looking for something in the 11-50 range for blues finger picking. Any strong votes for strings to make the JR-10 sing sweet?
Old 02-27-2021, 11:13 PM

I own a few 000's and OM's. Picked up a 000jr-10 and love it. String choice, DR Sunbeams 12=54 lights.....sound great
Old 09-28-2022, 02:58 PM

Thumbs up DR SUNBEAMS

I second your opinion of the DR SUNBEAMS on the 000CJR-10e Martin.
Another improvement to plugged in sound quality. Removed fishman sonitone installed K and K Pure Mini along with K K preamp.
A comfort versatile sound class all its own.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:06 PM

My 000Jr-10 sings with EJ16's on. (for a few weeks anyway)

I thought the Retro's sounded good but not my 1st choice.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
I have both, the older Martin jr D and the Martin 000Cjr10e. I found not much difference in sound. They both play terrific and do not sound boxy at all.
I bought the Martin Dreadnought Jr hard case for my Martin 000-jr. It fits exactly, just a little bit of open space in the case at the top of the body. The D-Jr and the 000-jr are the same measurements except for that little space at the top. I can't see how that small an area could affect the tone very much. BTW, I got the Shawn Mendes edition with the solid wood neck, ebony bridge and fingerboard. I put a bone nut and saddle on it. I have a shoulder replacement in my right shoulder, my strumming arm. This guitar is narrow enough that it doesn't hurt my shoulder but has a big guitar sound! Having some arthritis in my fingers, I put Ernie Ball 11 aluminum and bronze strings on it. I'm not sure if those are the best sounding for the guitar but I will stick with 11's because I can play them. Have any of you tried different brands of strings in 11's? What did you like? Thanks for any input.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:15 PM

Due to its shorter scale I think it really needs 012 gauge strings for the top to be driven correctly. I tried 011 and the tone is thinner. The short scale makes it easier to play even with lights.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I have the 000Jr cutaway model. Best $600 I have ever spent!!!

The most comfortable guitar I have ever played.

1.75" nut width and only 4" max depth. Plekked too. A total home run!
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion