The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Emerald X7

I just received my new Emerald X7 and here are my initial thoughts compared to my recently sold Select Series X7:

1. The new X7 has more bass and is warmer sounding overall with the additional depth and bridge placement.

2. The new cutaway design is very comfortable.

3. The new sound hole design is larger and also directs more sound toward the player - almost like a side sound port.

4. The new body is more stout looking and when playing, I can feel the difference in the depth.

Overall I think they did a very nice job with the updates and I really like the sound of the new X7. However, I did find the slimmer body of the previous model to be more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.

Mitch
Old 08-30-2018, 09:05 AM

Congrats! Not surprised that you like the tone better than the previous X7. I am surprised that you find the older model more comfortable though.

No pics?
Old 08-30-2018, 09:18 AM

I find the bigger body size more comfortable than the old x7. The bigger body with the thinner depth would probably feel even better, but wouldn't sound as good, so I'm more than okay with the choices made. Congrats on your new guitar!
Old 08-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Nice initial review! Looking at the design and specs, I can see what you are saying about each item.

For SteelVibe, I totally get how the older version of the X7 would be more comfortable, due mostly to the difference in body width. What surprises me about my X7 is how much I like the balanced tone it projects, considering its size. With the larger body and new soundhole, it only makes sense that the new version X7 would be louder and richer sounding.

As much as I like my older X7, I can see how the new version could very likely be a great candidate for an "only" guitar... yes, I understand how that is a foreign concept to many here.

Congrats on the new X7, Mitch!
Old 08-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Mitch... hope you enjoy. My X-7 is about a year old. How much deeper is the newer body?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Congratulations, Mitch... hope you enjoy. My X-7 is about a year old. How much deeper is the newer body?
Thanks Kerbie. The new body is 3/4" deeper than the old.

Mitch
Old 08-30-2018, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
The new body is 3/4" deeper than the old.
Ah, thanks, Mitch. Yep, that would add to increased bass and a bigger, warmer sound. Hope it's a keeper.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Hi Mitch, congrats on getting the new one. I would love to see pics of it.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 08-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I wound up going with a black one they had in inventory rather than continuing to wait for one in blue. Even though I prefer the size of the old one, this one is still very comfortable and perhaps the best sounding travel size guitar I have had.

Mitch

X7 Black (Ele) CS 4574_1 as Smart Object-1.jpg

X7 Black (Ele) CS 4574_9 as Smart Object-1.jpg

X7 Black (Ele) CS 4574_10 as Smart Object-1.jpg
Old 08-30-2018, 12:48 PM

Congratulations on receiving your new X7
and thank you for your very informative report about your new guitar.
I was wondering how much comfort difference there might be between the newly designed and the old model.
My old X7 is very comfortable and I'm hoping the new X7 does not feel too much bigger.
I tend to play my X7 more than my X20 because the smaller size is more comfortable for me.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 08-30-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:59 PM

Wow...nice buy and what’s really cool is it matches my X 20.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Congrats on your new X7! Since getting mine, I haven't played any other guitar. If it can pass the two-month, no string break test, I'm gonna sell off a bunch of my other acoustics.
I was wondering about the old X7 being more slender and possibly being a bit more comfortable. It would probably feel a bit more like home for an electric player like myself but the new version is really a good fit. And every acoustic should come with an arm bevel. :-)
Enjoy your guitar!
Old 09-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing the photos, Mitch. That new design X7 has gorgeous lines and aesthetics.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful, Mitch! I love that... my Cargo Raw was kinda like that and I thought it was great. I went with a Maple Woody when I got an Emerald, but I think that black is dynamite. Hope you enjoy.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Mitch,

What is the neck like on these? Specifically the new ones in case anyrhing hath changed. Can you describe the thickness, shape/profile and maybe if it reminds you of anything most of us may have played before?

I suppose anyone with a new one could chime in on the same question.

Thx

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber