The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-27-2023, 06:59 PM

Default Alvarez System 600T Mk II microphone solution

I just acquired a used acoustic-electric Alvarez AJ60SC-12 12 string and wanted to improve the sound of the stock UST pickup system. The stock preamp, System 600T MKII has an aux input for an accessory mic from Alvarez called the ACM50. Unfortunately, I confirmed with Alvarez (St Louis Music) that the ACM50 is no longer available and there are none to be found on Ebay nor Reverb. I am happy to report that Guitar Fetish sells an omnidirectional mic designed for acoustic guitar preamps that works just fine. It can be found here:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-35m...ne_p_6421.html

Its a condenser mic with a 3.5mm TRS plug....and power for the mic from the battery is supplied by the ring connection on the plug. For best results for my ears and my setup, I set the preamp for +20 gain and adjusted the UST and Aux levels for about a 50/50 mix. The omni mic blended with the UST tends to mask any piezo quack there may be from the UST. And, the soundhole is still unobstructed (unlike with a soundhole pickup) such that if you need to use a feedback-buster, it is still an option for you. I hope this helps all of you Alvarez owners out there.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:05 PM

Default Alvarez System 600T MK II microphone solution

I forgot to include a picture in my original post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2327.jpg (43.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 02-28-2023, 02:27 PM

Thank you, dfabian! I can't tell you how long I've been looking for the solution to this exact situation. I've placed an order for this mic for my Alvarez AJ60SC 12-string. I truly appreciate you posting this information.
Cheers,
Chuck
Old 02-28-2023, 07:09 PM

I'm also contacting Journey Instruments to find out if their 3 piezo system is compatible with the "piezo" input on the System 600T MK II preamp and if so, if their system is available with a 2.5mm plug so it will be a "plug and play" solution for all of us that wish to improve upon the UST in these older Alvarez guitars.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:56 PM

Would you be willing to share the results of that inquiry?

Cheers,
Chuck
Old 02-28-2023, 08:00 PM

Absolutey. I'll post my findings up here on AGF under the same topic once I finish figuring this out. I would like to get my AJ60SC-12 sounding as good as possible as it will be used as a gigging instrument in a duo I am forming. Since I use a Boss OC-5 octave pedal in the duo, I won't be using the octave strings on the low E and low A strings since they tend to "confuse" the OC-5. The microphone should help but I'd like a better sound than the UST provides.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:48 AM

FYI I rehearsed today with my Alvarez AJ60SC 12 string today and after hearing it amplified with the omnidirectional mic blended with the UST, I’m not inclined to go through the expense to change out the UST for a piezo sound board transducer. The guitar sounds quite robust amplified now. And I have a Journey Instruments guitar with their piezo system and it isn’t a huge improvement over what I now have. Besides, if I removed the UST, I no doubt would have to replace the bridge saddle and get a slightly taller one since the bridge would probably be too low. Journey Instruments did respond to my inquiry about their piezo system connection and it indeed has a 2.5mm plug on the piezo array. So it could be connected to the System 600T MKII preamp if so desired.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:49 PM

Thanks for this update and glad to hear that the omni electret mic and under saddle pickup are a winning combination for you.
My own electret mic arrived from GuitarFetish in this morning's post. I look forward to hearing its impact on the sound of my Alvarez.
Cheers,
Chuck
Old 03-04-2023, 06:22 PM

I did contact Artec, the Korean company that makes acoustic guitar pickup systems. Their products look remarkably like the Alvarez System 600T MKII although there was no exact duplicate. See www.artecsound.com. I inquired if they actually manufactured the Alvarez system or if they made any accessories that were compatible with the System 600T MKII. I'll post my inquiry response if they do respond.
Old 05-12-2023, 02:59 PM

Default Thanks dfabian!

DFabian, Thanks for taking the time to investigate and share this super-valuable info!

I went and took a peek at the link you provided for GUITARFETISH and they had dropped the price to $9 bux! (total $16.00 with shipping) I rarely plug in this Alvarez, BUT, I was aware the mics were no longer to be found, so Heck Yeah I bought one!!!

Funny part is this week I just had the same-idea (crossover-piezo/mic) Pickup installed on my J45 with the LR Baggs Anthem ... $600.00 with the install (ok, and a new bone saddle and set up, etc. but you get my point, tongue in cheek!)

Took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to dial in the mic and mix/blend it with the piezo, but once I figured it all out... wow! I'm impressed! Cool Stuff, and now I don't need to worry about this ever again.

Thanks again!! Be well!

Scott in Colorado
2005 - Takamine G116 Classical
1985 - Alvarez 5021 12 (Hand Made, Japan)
1986 - Alvarez 5222 6 (Korea)
2011 - Alvarez MD711c
2010 - Ibanez A300 Quilted Maple
2013 - Martin Backpacker
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 6 - black
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 12 - natural

Last edited by High_Colorado; 05-12-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:33 PM

Default Alvarez System 600T Mk II microphone solution

Glad to hear you were able to get one of the microphones and its working out well for you. As for me, my Alvarez AJ-60SC12 sounds fantastic through my small PA system (JBL PRX One.). Now.....I have to work on the neck and the nut and the bridge to get the action a little lower without fret buzz....but that's another story. I'll let the folks know @ Alvarez about this thread in the event they have others that want to augment their System 600T MK II systems. Play on all.....
Old 05-21-2023, 09:51 PM

Did you ever happen to hear back from Artec? My 600T is acting up and I'd love to find something that fits the same cut out.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2023, 06:02 AM

Unfortunately I never heard back from Artec.

Last edited by dfabian; 05-22-2023 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 12-16-2023, 04:20 PM

Default NEED PREAMP POWER FOR THE AUX MIC

Hoping someone will pick up on this old post. I have the Alvarez 600T system. It is the original 600T and NOT the MKII. I ordered that mic from Guitar Fettish only to realize the aux input on my system is 2.5mm. I ordered a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter and gave it a try but turns out this older system does not have phantom power for the aux input. Any ideas on how to power the mic?

Last edited by BCART24; 12-16-2023 at 04:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification