The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-30-2023, 11:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
That spalted oak top purfling and the oak around the maple in the rosette is a knock out!

Mighty interesting, especially with a build happening!

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul. The purfling is actually b/w ebony. But, I'm really glad you like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
I am betting this will be a knockout, John. Very tasteful design and wood choices and details. Super nice. I need to sell some guitars to make room for more guitars!
Thanks Jamie. And thanks for the wood. Im sure you recognize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Another vote for a burst and that walnut is SPECTACULAR
Great Treenewt. That seals the deal, burst it shall be
Old 08-30-2023, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

John, yes I recognize the Walnut. Lucky find. I am happy you are putting it to such fine use.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I thought I would try modified fan bracing on this guitar. I think that pattern has potential
I remember reading about the fusion of the classical bracing on steel string here before. I think it was from “two hands guitars”. He said he had to put 4 of the lower braces instead of three for stability. I think the Steve fishers did the same? Does this pattern make much difference compared to tone bars and how do you decide how many to use? I am genuinely interested and don’t really know why or how the top bracing changes/shapes the tone. Thanks. JR
Old 09-01-2023, 11:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapdog View Post
I remember reading about the fusion of the classical bracing on steel string here before. I think it was from “two hands guitars”. He said he had to put 4 of the lower braces instead of three for stability. I think the Steve fishers did the same? Does this pattern make much difference compared to tone bars and how do you decide how many to use? I am genuinely interested and don’t really know why or how the top bracing changes/shapes the tone. Thanks. JR
I vacillated between 4 and 3 and decided on 3 because 4 looked too crowded to me. Not very scientific I realize. However a lot of my building leans more toward the intuitive. It seems to me that a tone brace attached to the bridge plate will do two things, 1. Resist the string tension better because the design places it directly in line with the force vector created by the strings, better support for that because the tone bar is in exactly right place, so it can be lighter which I think is desirable. That center brace laps over the bridge plate a good distance and if I measured right it should go between the D and G bridge pins. The other two tone bars just lap over the plate modestly and are there to provide some support but primarily to move the vibrations along the top like a good tone bar.
The other thing I like about this design, thing 2, is that it should be better at transmitting the vibrations from the bridge plate to the lower bout since the tone bars are attached to the bridge plate and radiate out from that spot.

I realize this is reasoning from analogy and needs a lot of verification. I have made one guitar this way so far and was very happy with the way it sounded. More results are needed to confirm my suspicions.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I vacillated between 4 and 3 and decided on 3 because 4 looked too crowded to me. Not very scientific I realize. However a lot of my building leans more toward the intuitive. It seems to me that a tone brace attached to the bridge plate will do two things, 1. Resist the string tension better because the design places it directly in line with the force vector created by the strings, better support for that because the tone bar is in exactly right place, so it can be lighter which I think is desirable. That center brace laps over the bridge plate a good distance and if I measured right it should go between the D and G bridge pins. The other two tone bars just lap over the plate modestly and are there to provide some support but primarily to move the vibrations along the top like a good tone bar.
The other thing I like about this design, thing 2, is that it should be better at transmitting the vibrations from the bridge plate to the lower bout since the tone bars are attached to the bridge plate and radiate out from that spot.

I realize this is reasoning from analogy and needs a lot of verification. I have made one guitar this way so far and was very happy with the way it sounded. More results are needed to confirm my suspicions.
Thank you for the response. I appreciate the explanation as I am trying to understand braving and how it affects sound/tone. Definitely a hard process to fully understand and your experience speaks volumes. No pun intended.
Old 10-13-2023, 12:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default the white room

I like the burst on the top. It sets off the rosette etc. I'm anxious to get this back and get it strung up. Its the same size as Jamie's 00

Old 10-13-2023, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

So beautiful. This is going to be a sweet guitar.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
So beautiful. This is going to be a sweet guitar.
Thanks Jamie. I'm hoping it sounds as good as yours.
Old 10-14-2023, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Looks awesome, John--the burst really sets off the purfling, binding, and the rosette!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-14-2023, 05:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I like the burst on the top. It sets off the rosette etc. I'm anxious to get this back and get it strung up. Its the same size as Jamie's 00

Just one word: “Boy that’s beautiful!”
(But who’s counting?)

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 10-15-2023, 08:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Looks awesome, John--the burst really sets off the purfling, binding, and the rosette!
Thanks for your continued support Nemoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Just one word: “Boy that’s beautiful!”
(But who’s counting?)
I appreciate that bro. You did give me thumbs up on the burst so you are partially responsible.
Old 10-15-2023, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful, John, love the burst! I am usually not a fan of smaller guitars, but the proportions look perfect to my untrained eyes. Hopefully it will produce the sound(s) you are aiming for!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-15-2023, 02:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Beautiful, John, love the burst! I am usually not a fan of smaller guitars, but the proportions look perfect to my untrained eyes. Hopefully it will produce the sound(s) you are aiming for!
Hey Thanks Mike. Perfect is good, even untrained perfect. These 00's can punch way above their weight class when it comes to sound.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Back from Tony

Nothing left to do but get the neck right, shine up and glue down the bridge and string it. So lots to do yet.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:29 AM
Music soothes the soul!

My goodness John. Beautiful guitar! Sure makes me wish I was attending your next show.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop