The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-22-2004, 11:36 AM

Default How to play bluegrass?

What are some good sources to teach myself to play bluegrass? I was in my local store last night and this guy was ripping through some stuff and I thought it was pretty darn cool, so I want to learn. Any help is appreciated....

-garth
Old 04-22-2004, 12:07 PM

Garth,

There's a wealth of instructional materials available from www.homespuntapes.com. They focus on bluegrass, celtic, and folk, for the most part.

If you're new to getting together with some friends for a "bluegrass jam", this video in particular will be of help:

http://www.homespuntapes.com/prodpg/...=807&prodType=

It goes through a whole bunch of bluegrass standards, teaches how each of the intruments takes a turn playing a "break" or solo, a little on etiquette, how to signal the end of a song, and the like. Each song has one "break" where all the other instruments play rhythm, so you can play the break yourself along with the tape or DVD. All the material is pretty easy, but it's a good place to get started.

Good luck,

Kent
Old 04-26-2004, 09:21 PM

Get Doc Watson's Video on Homespun Tapes called "Doc's Guitar, Fingerpicking and Flatpicking".

www.guitarforsongwriters.com
Old 04-27-2004, 08:15 AM

http://www.bluegrassguitar.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell