The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Homespun Tapes - Which ones?

I just got the new catalog today. I'd really like to purchase something for myself but there are so many tapes, CDs and DVDs that I don't know which are good. I'm about a level 2-3 and am looking for something which builds technique/basics while learning some songs. I like blues and traditional folk songs, and I want to improve on both flatpicking and fingerstyle. Any suggestions?

-Tg
Old 04-21-2004, 02:31 PM

I think that Homespun produces some of the best instructional media today.

There is a relatively new DVD 3 pack by Happy Traum " Easy steps to Guitar Fingerpicking" that Ive found very helpful. They can be purchased separately for $29.95 but the 3 pack is a good deal at $59.95

I also really found the Christmas song video by Happy also very good.

The instructionals by his brother Artie are all good especially the intro to
DADGAD series.

THe one by Livingston Taylor is a good one.

My favorites is the Hawaiian Slack Key video by Keola Beamer.

I basically buy one a month and havent been disappointed with any of them.

Now, if I only could allocate time to get thru them

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2004, 02:47 PM

Get the Laurence Juber.

Man he rocks!

Devon
Old 04-21-2004, 02:57 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME@VT
Get the Laurence Juber.

Man he rocks!

Devon
Yeah, but get instructional material based on how well it teaches you to play new material, not on how great the performance of the teacher is!! From what I have seen LJ's stuff is towards the "advanced" end of the spectrum.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 04-21-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:16 PM

If you can deal with a little bit of country as well, the Great Guitar Lessons/Blues & Country Fingerpicking tape is great. Happy Traum, Rory Block, Thom Bresh, Doc Watson, John Jackson, Eddie Adcock and Roy Book Binder. Songs: John Henry, Louis Collins, Fixin' To Die, Ragtime Instrumental Medley, Southbound, Red Wing and Walkin' The Strings. Also, the Great Guitar Lessons/Bluegrass Flatpicking has good stuff. Though some of it's a bit quick, there's still a lot that can be used by folks who aren't Dan Crary or Tony Rice. If you'd like to borrow them, email me.
Custom Brook SJ
Charango
Old 04-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. It really helps a lot. I do like a bit of bluegrass playing (though I'm much slower!) and country too. I'm very open to learning different techniques and styles. I'll check out some of the titles suggested and report back this summer (when I have more time to start some new books).

-Tg
Old 04-22-2004, 05:55 AM

I also suggest the Happy Traum fingerpicking 1 video and maybe Roy Book Binder "Blues by the Book". Roy's videos are about 39.00 for two volumes and I thought that was a good deal.

Another I was REAL impressed with was Starlicks video of RObert Johnson songs because so many of them are in standard tuning and I had no idea. Guy named Ansley teaching on them. You can play with dobro or acoustic guitar and it was an eye opener.

I've also got a dreadfully easy blues fingerpicking DVD on my website but it's not as professional as homespun, but it is VERY detailed on the video and into the fingerpicking hand.

You might just want to cruise over to my website and checkout all the free downloadable lessons. If you like them they could keep you busy for weeks. And you wont spend any money

Best of Luck though,
Doug/LB

http://littlebrother.nlpd.com

Free videos and other cool stuff...
http://acousticplayermagazine.com
http://acousticplayermagazine.com/forum
Old 04-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Bit Flipper

I've got the Keb' Mo' tape. It's great for beefing up your blues chops.
2003 Taylor 110, "Credo"
2003 Taylor Baby Mahogany, "Lucy"
2005 Washburn C104SCE

Last edited by byKnight; 04-22-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:23 PM

Pete Huttlinger's John Denver DVD's are very good. Pete slows every thing down and it's easy to understand.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBrother
I also suggest the Happy Traum fingerpicking 1 video and maybe Roy Book Binder "Blues by the Book". Roy's videos are about 39.00 for two volumes and I thought that was a good deal.

Another I was REAL impressed with was Starlicks video of RObert Johnson songs because so many of them are in standard tuning and I had no idea. Guy named Ansley teaching on them. You can play with dobro or acoustic guitar and it was an eye opener.

I've also got a dreadfully easy blues fingerpicking DVD on my website but it's not as professional as homespun, but it is VERY detailed on the video and into the fingerpicking hand.

You might just want to cruise over to my website and checkout all the free downloadable lessons. If you like them they could keep you busy for weeks. And you wont spend any money

Best of Luck though,
Doug/LB

Hey Lil Brother,
Thanks for the info. Great website! I checked out one of your videos (Saints Go Marchin In). I'd love to learn to play that but in addition to a visual I also need to see the fingerstyle in tab. Do you have tabs associated with your video clips?
-Tg
Old 04-23-2004, 03:15 PM

Sorry TG I am all visual. I do have a tabs on the Lightnin' Hopkins style lesson though. I hope to be able to do more in the future and maybe tab on them. I just need help. Thanks for asking and checking out my site.

Free videos and other cool stuff...
http://acousticplayermagazine.com
http://acousticplayermagazine.com/forum
Old 04-23-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgyrl
I just got the new catalog today. I'd really like to purchase something for myself but there are so many tapes, CDs and DVDs that I don't know which are good. I'm about a level 2-3 and am looking for something which builds technique/basics while learning some songs. I like blues and traditional folk songs, and I want to improve on both flatpicking and fingerstyle. Any suggestions?

-Tg
The Pete Huttlinger stuff is a must have! He played for John Denver for 5 or 6 years. My fingerstyle basics & advanced have been developed by using his DVD's.

My instructor even thinks they are a 10 (and he is hard to impress).

check out his site www.petehuttlinger.com
Old 04-23-2004, 04:40 PM

Well I bought one to learn by, Doc Watson "Fingerpicking and Flatpicking." Do not waste your time and money. The music was good, but very poor teaching. I will try the Hamburger and Traum versions since I have wanted to get one, but have been reluctant since the Watson burn. What is the "Swing" one like?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:12 PM

If you like fingerpicking, Happy Traums 4 tape Building Blocks is an excellent choice or for flatpicking, Steve Kaufmans, Learning to Flatpick is good. Both men are great instructors and provide enough techniques and songs to put your chops to work. If you're not in a hurry to purchase from Homespun, wait until August. That's when their stuff is on sale or check out Ebay.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Postman. I had been considering those two titles because of the fundamentals they cover as well as a selection of good songs.
-Tg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell