The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM

Default What to add to my Solo Amp for bigger gigs.

Hello All,

I am part of a duo acoustic gig, and I sing and play through my Fishman Solo Amp. My partner plays through a 50 watt Peavey tube amp, because he tends to play a lot of electric leads and harmonies while I strum and sing. I am trying to figure out the best way to add more volume for when we play outdoors or in bigger rooms.

I should add that I do have free access to a very nice 1200 watt Mackie powered mixer, but I don’t have any passive speakers.

I have been reading a lot about adding a powered speaker, though I don’t know if we would each need to have our own, or possibly just get a pair of decent-ish 12” PA speakers and ditch the separate amps in these situations. I am just not sure what would be the best way to handle this.

So, on a “Wife is in nursing school and not working” tight budget, what would be the best way to pump up our sound?

Thanks to all
Heath
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 AM

You could get a set of K10s but that would be pricey or 2 ev live112p's...if it is for vocals and your acoustic having 2 powered speakers would be a good set up. You could also add a fishman artist or loudbox 100 for yourself...

if you would go to the 2 powered speakers there would be no reason to have the solo amp..but you would need a monitor of some sort..

You could also just by 2 peavy passive PR12 speakers and use that powered mixer. The plastic ones are fairly inespensive. and i used them at a gig not to long ago and they worked fine. That would be one of your cheapest routes if you can rely on getting the borrowed mixer.

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 PM

I'm in a similar position myself and am strongly considering just adding another SoloAmp. I'm really happy with the convenience, sound quality and features of mine and I think it would make sense to just multiply that all by two.
And it would look really cool.....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM

I owned a SoloAmp for a while and really liked it for low volume solo gigs- coffeshops, restaurants, etc. For other gigs where I needed more volume, I never really found a solution that worked. I even used it with an external 1000W powered sub and filtered the bass frequencies; did OK for about a half hour, then the thermal protection kicked in. Time for a set break folks.

I sold the SoloAmp and bought a few QSC K10's now and I'd never go back. They are much louder and stay pristine even at ear-splitting volumes. I'm actually happier using one K10 for solo gigs than I was with the SoloAmp.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM

I will have to second the opinion on the QSC K10's. They partner up with the Fishman products perfectly. The K10 was the only powered speaker that really did amplify my guitar in a pure, natural and clear tone. Just one K10 will do wonders. A pair will send you to heaven. Okay, slight over zealous response but you will enjoy the music.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I have not found the gig where my SoloAmp has not provided enough volume. I have played to 200 in a huge backyard in the country and just recently played a huge room full of loud yahoos (think Bob's Country Bunker from The Blues Bros.) and never got the darn thing above 6.

Guess your mileage has varied.

Steve
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM

I haven't either, Steve, but I know it's out there somewhere! I don't know that I'd ever be playing anything that big though!... But yeah, I don't think I've ever had mine over 5 or 6 either. It's almost scary how loud they get.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread... I suppose there area number of options to address the original question. Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

If you are really on a tight budget, just get a solid pair of passive speakers and stands, if you can use the mixer all the time. Yamaha Club series are work horses, or the Mackie C300's to match the mixer-- shop around, local Craiglist could easily find you a used pair of good speakers for around $300-400, and you'd have an excellent larger PA when you need it.
Electrics: 1975 Gretsch 7670 | 1959 Fender Jazzmaster (heavily modified) | 1980 Fender Lead II
Other Instruments: Eastman MD-505 Mandolin (K&K) | Sullivan Jam Open-Back Banjo (Schatten) | Fender Mustang PJ Bass
Amps: 2017 Otis Trudeau | 1964 Gibson Skylark | Yamaha Stagepas 200BTR
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
*mahoganut*

And of course you could borrow mine if it's an occasional thing, or the other SA220 is still available if you think a twin 220 setup would provide what you need.

I have no experience on the other options. The twin 220s at the Eric Skye outdoor concert were amazing.

Best,

Phil
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
And of course you could borrow mine if it's an occasional thing, or the other SA220 is still available if you think a twin 220 setup would provide what you need.

I have no experience on the other options. The twin 220s at the Eric Skye outdoor concert were amazing.

Best,

Phil
That would be very nice Phil!
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification