The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Default Positioning of the H4n and H2

Hey folks - I'm hoping to get some recommendations here.

I've had an H2 for sometime, and recently got an H4n. I like them both. I'm already in love with the H4n, and originally thought I'd sell the H2, but I think I'll keep it, as I can envision some scenarios where I might need both.

However, while I've heard several recordings (posted on this forum and elsewhere) made using the internal mics of these devices that I thought sounded very good, I've never been able to achieve this myself. I'm talking about recordings made at a distance of several feet, such that both guitar and vocals (or multiple guitars and vocals) are picked up.

I HAVE gotten decent results recording guitar or vocals up close, but that's not what I'm really looking to do with these devices.

So far, from a distance, the best results I've gotten (results I'm quite happy with) were achieved using a pair of R0de NT-3 mics (running on battery power).

I'm wondering where you all place these devices as well as what settings you use for recording. Any advice appreciated.

When I get some time (probably later this week), I'm going to setup and do a number of tests using a variety of mics and both devices, then will post the results here. My performance I'll record will be strumming and singing, which is primarily what I do. Here's what I have planned:

1. H4n internal mics
2. H2 internal mics
3. H4n with AT-822 mic
4. H2 with AT-822 mic
5. H4n with R0de NT-3s
6. H4n with M-Audio Pulsar IIs
7. H4n with SM57s

Seems like a lot, but the clips will be short. I'll do my best to incorporate any positioning advice I receive here. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 PM

Still haven't done my tests listed above, but I did record rehearsal yesterday. I used the H4n and recorded in 4CH mode with 2 M-Audio Pulsar IIs. Everything was placed kind of high and positioned down. I had the H4n on a tripod at it's highest level, and it just so happens that me and my bandmate sit such that we each had 1 of the internal mics in our direction. I had the Pulsars on the dual-mic mount a little higher pointed down (one at me, one at him).

Overall, I preferred the sound of the internal mics. I probably should have turned on the low cut on the pulsars. Also, maybe down wasn't the best place to point. They didn't sound bad, but the bass sound of the cajon completely dominated the pulsars.

Next practice, I'm going to reposition them. I'll post a sound clip of each once I get a chance.

FWIW - neither was any better than a decent practice recording - not good enough for distribution (which is what I expected in this setting).
Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Hi ferg…
Look forward to your tests.

For internal mics and H2 and H4 recorders I usually go about 12-14'' out from the neck body joint...

I don't play loud so I go hi on the mic, but I've heard of others using med volume on mics.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 PM

LJ,

That's about what I do for regular mics, but I'm hoping to get a recording of my duo 2 vox + 1 guitar + 1 percussion...which requires a little more distance...should have been clearer there...
Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
LJ,

That's about what I do for regular mics, but I'm hoping to get a recording of my duo 2 vox + 1 guitar + 1 percussion...which requires a little more distance...should have been clearer there...
Hi ferg…
Gottcha!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 AM

I think you're basically recording the room, which includes your instruments and vocalists. Works great if you have a great-sounding room. Works like poo if you have a poo-sounding room...

Put them within a foot or so of an instrument and you're mostly recording the instrument so the room matters less (but still matters, of course).
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I think you're basically recording the room, which includes your instruments and vocalists. Works great if you have a great-sounding room. Works like poo if you have a poo-sounding room...

Put them within a foot or so of an instrument and you're mostly recording the instrument so the room matters less (but still matters, of course).

Yeah - that's what I figured, sort of. I've also tried this outside with less-than-great results. Putting the mics within a foot isn't really an option, as I'm dealing with 2 instruments + 2 vocals...which is fine, I can accomplish what I need with 2 external mics...just hoping for something easier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD