The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 05:19 PM

Default GS mini or new Grand Theater?

Today, Taylor released the new Grand Theater body, which is a “mini” Grand Orchestra. It’s size (in all aspects, from nut width to body size, etc.) is between a GS mini and a Grand Concert.

The GT-e’s cost is more than double the GS mini-e. I expect most of this is due to fabrication in the California factory (rather than Mexico for GS minis), solid back and sides on the GT (urban ash is the only b/s option so far) and appointments/binding, aerocase, and ES2 electronics on the GT.

My questions are as follows. No one can say yet with certainty (new model), but when has that ever stopped us from speculating?

1. Considering body shape only, how different would a “GO mini” (GT) sound compared to a GS mini (spruce top) in terms of bass response and depth/fullness? We might compare the full-size GO and GS to approximate an answer...

2. Will the slightly larger size of a GT (compared to GS mini) lead to a large tone difference? Or is this still just a “mini” guitar with a negligible tone difference?

3. All other things equal, how much different is the sound of a guitar with layered back/sides compared to solid back/sides? Is this the key driving tonal difference more than body shape or size?

I’m sure most folks would say “all these variables matter: you can’t isolate them,” but since no one has a GO in their hands yet and since it is easy for folks on this forum to have opinions, I am interested in the speculations that could be out there.

4. Will the GT become more popular than the GS mini, becoming Taylor’s best-selling small guitar, much like the GS mini did to the baby Taylors? Or does the GS mini still have a place in the lineup due to price and it’s durability with layered construction?

GT (“GO mini”): https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar.../gte-urban-ash

GS mini: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...ini-e-rosewood

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013

Last edited by PeteyPower16; 10-01-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:44 PM

This was news to me, thanks! I got excited, clicked the link....then I saw the price.
Whoa.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 10-01-2020, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

I think it will sell well but nowhere near the mini’s numbers. If it was $1000 for the acoustic only version it might be closer. IMO
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 10-01-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPower16 View Post
Today, Taylor released the new Grand Theater body, which is a “mini” Grand Orchestra. It’s size (in all aspects, from nut width to body size, etc.) is between a GS mini and a Grand Concert.

The GT-e’s cost is more than double the GS mini-e. I expect most of this is due to fabrication in the California factory (rather than Mexico for GS minis), solid back and sides on the GT (urban ash is the only b/s option so far) and appointments/binding, aerocase, and ES2 electronics on the GT.

My questions are as follows. No one can say yet with certainty (new model), but when has that ever stopped us from speculating?

1. Considering body shape only, how different would a “GO mini” (GT) sound compared to a GS mini (spruce top) in terms of bass response and depth/fullness? We might compare the full-size GO and GS to approximate an answer...

2. Will the slightly larger size of a GT (compared to GS mini) lead to a large tone difference? Or is this still just a “mini” guitar with a negligible tone difference?

3. All other things equal, how much different is the sound of a guitar with layered back/sides compared to solid back/sides? Is this the key driving tonal difference more than body shape or size?

I’m sure most folks would say “all these variables matter: you can’t isolate them,” but since no one has a GO in their hands yet and since it is easy for folks on this forum to have opinions, I am interested in the speculations that could be out there.

4. Will the GT become more popular than the GS mini, becoming Taylor’s best-selling small guitar, much like the GS mini did to the baby Taylors? Or does the GS mini still have a place in the lineup due to price and it’s durability with layered construction?

GT (“GO mini”): https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar.../gte-urban-ash

GS mini: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...ini-e-rosewood
The new GT is sort of a new version of a Taylor 300 series guitar. There's not a ton of difference between the 300 series and the GT, other than Taylor's attempt to convince players that they are really offering something new and different.

Taylor is playing to the uncertainty of new players with the GT series. How many players do you really think are going to be able to easily detect a difference of 1/32" in the nut width? It appeals to the uncertain, but folks that have been playing for a while can usually tell you if they prefer 1-11/16" or a 1-3/4" nut width. Telling players they offer a "compromise" width should key you in to what the appeal of the instrument is.

There are minor specification differences, but they aren't any game changers, especially considering the price.

If you want an upgrade from a GS MIni and don't want to spend 3 times the price then pick up an Academy series. I think they truly are an exceptional guitar and are designed into luring unsuspecting players into becoming firmly entrenched to being Taylor players.

FYI, I previously owned a GS MIni mahogany, now own a Taylor 322, and have played an Academy 10 and 12.

Last edited by Rudy4; 10-01-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:24 PM

I wonder if they are targeting the Wee Lowden customers.
If and when I see one in the local shop, of course I'll try it out. Might be great?
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 10-02-2020, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

Taylor Grand Theater, and that's without ever seeing one or playing one.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-02-2020, 04:39 AM

You asked for an opinion......which really holds very little weight at all. But theoretically the new GT should have a better (whatever that means) sound because of the longer scale length, bigger body size and all solid woods. But better is in the ear of the beholder.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:20 AM

Why does nobody consider an 0-15 or 0-18 or even a 0-28?

I mean GS-mini price is ok. But since GT is an US made guitar, one should compare that to the Martin smallest made guitars?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-02-2020, 06:03 AM

I like the ad copy on the GT- 'Italian Acrylic' fretboard inlays...why don't they just say it like it is? Everything these days has to have some special twist to it! sheesh.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:12 AM

I haven’t been impressed with the tone in any of the clips I’ve seen. Maybe I’ll feel differently once I’m able to play one in person someday, but my initial reaction is that the Big Baby, A10, and GS Mini all offer equally good — or better — tone at a fraction of the price.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The new GT is sort of a new version of a Taylor 300 series guitar. There's not a ton of difference between the 300 series and the GT, other than Taylor's attempt to convince players that they are really offering something new and different.
It seems to me there are substantial differences between the GT and the 300 series. The GT seems to be a body shape rather than a series. The 300 series offers various body sizes, different back/side woods, fretboard material, scale length, nut width, appointments, etc. I figured Taylor would introduce more body shapes to the AD series- which to me would be a more accurate comparison to the 300 series.
Fender Acoustasonic 30 DSP Combo Amp

2007 Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany
Fender Frontman 65R Combo Amp
Old 10-02-2020, 08:15 AM

I think the price of the GS Mini Price will keep it healthy in the market place. Especially when people think of travelling and absolute 'grab it and play' it lives on the couch terms. It's perhaps still not cheap but its bang for the buck in those terms considering it's quality and exceptional capability for its size.

The GT will then appeal to those in another bracket who have a bit more wealth and or don't anticipate putting it through more arduous circumstances like camp fires or even couch life (or may be they will but there will be fewer people doing that).
The solid wood construction, the lighter string gauge and middle ground sizing is perhaps just what some people have been waiting for. That is offset though against the Urban Ash and eucalyptus tone woods for the more traditionalist.
For me at the end of the day it would take a hell of a tonal advantage to part with the extra cash.

But then may be the Academy series offers some of the compromise already. Tone will always be subjective and who doesn't love the arm rest?

Last edited by 54TS; 10-03-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I like the ad copy on the GT- 'Italian Acrylic' fretboard inlays...why don't they just say it like it is? Everything these days has to have some special twist to it! sheesh.

Chris McKee down at Alamo Music sez Italian Acrylic is very similar to regular acrylic ... but it’s just a little more “passionate” ...

Old 10-02-2020, 09:01 AM

I'm wondering who needs the GT and why did Taylor think they needed to fill this narrow slot in the lineup.

If I were thinking of a grab-and-go, travel type of guitar, the layered B/S mini is more robust than the all-solid GT. And how much difference can there be in the tone (guess we'll find out soon)?

The GT is priced the same as the recent American Dream line (all x17), and is smaller, with less depth. Why choose the GT? It's a better couch guitar?

Wee Lowden was mentioned, but is it out there in numbers that require competition from Taylor?
Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 AM

I cant wait to compare it against the jr 000 Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion