The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-17-2019, 02:41 AM
AllanAnd AllanAnd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Grenaa, Denmark
Posts: 72
Default Anyone tried a NUX AC-50 Stageman

I am contemplating getting a NUX Stageman AC-50 and I would like to hear from owners or someone who has tried it... What are Your thoughts?

I am primarily an electric guitar player but I really like the sound of an amplified acoustic guitar and this one suits my wallet, too...

AND: Does anyone know if an acoustic amp like this is like an FRFR speaker/amp so I maybe once in a blue moon kan connect my modelling gear to it an play electric guitar, too?

Allan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:20 AM
zhunter zhunter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,344
Default

I guess not. And I have not either but...

I do use an NUX Solid Studio amp/cab/speaker/mic IR box for my DI electric setup and it has been a solid performer and a quality product. Has all the right features, many of which were overlooked by the comps, and sounds good. I use it rehearsing and gigging direct to PA all the time.

I'd be curious how the Stageman stacks up head to head with the more common favorites in the performance range like the Loudbox Mini or even the AER/Schertler comps. Certainly has some extra features. And I am finding that NUX also has some ideas about sounds too.

If I wasn't already set for acoustic rig I would give the NUX a hard look. Unfortunately I have no more info for you.

hunter
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2019, 04:32 PM
jseth jseth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
Posts: 8,966
Default

Yes, I've played through one a bit... Bullfrog Music, here in Corvallis, started getting them last Autumn. I was so impressed by the features and price that I even wrote a thread about the amp on this site.

I have only played guitar through the Stageman, and not at "performing" volumes. I have yet to play and sing through it at the same time, like I would do were I playing a solo gig in a smallish venue.

The features are very cool; I'm not a Bluetooth guy, but I love the wireless pedal board to control the chorus, reverb and the looper function. I don't know how viable the looper would be for an actual gigging situation, but it's a gas to mess around with!

Thus far, I think Bullfrog has received 5 of the units in total. The first one was sold fairly quickly; the second unit that he received basically "melted down", stopped working, everything dead - with no signal going through it, shortly after unpacking it from the box it was shipped in... all the others have performed correctly without any problems. I have not heard from Kurt (the owner) about anyone having any problems with the ones he's sold - and I WOULD hear about it, both as a friend and a player.

Hard to beat the price, eh? Less than a Loudbox-Mini, FAR less than my AER Compact 60 or one of the Schertler amps...
__________________
"You're quoting figures and dropping names,
you're telling stories and playing games.
You're over-laughing when things ain't funny;
you're acting like you don't need money.
If talk was criminal, you'd lead a life of crime;
because your mind is on vacation
and your mouth is working overtime..."

"Your Mind is on Vacation" (Mose Allison)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2019, 09:50 AM
zhunter zhunter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Yes, I've played through one a bit... Bullfrog Music, here in Corvallis, started getting them last Autumn. I was so impressed by the features and price that I even wrote a thread about the amp on this site.

I have only played guitar through the Stageman, and not at "performing" volumes. I have yet to play and sing through it at the same time, like I would do were I playing a solo gig in a smallish venue.

The features are very cool; I'm not a Bluetooth guy, but I love the wireless pedal board to control the chorus, reverb and the looper function. I don't know how viable the looper would be for an actual gigging situation, but it's a gas to mess around with!

Thus far, I think Bullfrog has received 5 of the units in total. The first one was sold fairly quickly; the second unit that he received basically "melted down", stopped working, everything dead - with no signal going through it, shortly after unpacking it from the box it was shipped in... all the others have performed correctly without any problems. I have not heard from Kurt (the owner) about anyone having any problems with the ones he's sold - and I WOULD hear about it, both as a friend and a player.

Hard to beat the price, eh? Less than a Loudbox-Mini, FAR less than my AER Compact 60 or one of the Schertler amps...
I have to say the fascination with Bluetooth completely escapes me. But it is a hot button so I can see why they figured out a way to include some kind of Bluetooth function. It would be interesting to hear some gig use results for the NUX.

I would like to see a forward leaning company like NUX give this niche a run for the money.

hunter
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2019, 04:13 PM
AllanAnd AllanAnd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Grenaa, Denmark
Posts: 72
Default

Thank You very much for participating in this. I donít have the experience, knowledge or gear that You have, so I wonít be able to elaborate much in regards to other brands or models but now Iím getting one!

The cost is almost ridiculous... I will try to report back in a few days!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2019, 04:30 PM
Petty1818 Petty1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,182
Default

I have been interested in this amp as well. The only negative is that in demos, I don't really love the sound although it gets great reviews. Maybe it needs to be heard in person?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2019, 12:32 AM
P4H P4H is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Default

Glad to find this thread. I'm weighing up the pros and cons of quite a few amps including the, Marshall AO50D, Tanglewood T6, Fishman Loudbox Mini some Roland and AER models as well as Ibanez, Peavey, Fender. Then just to make matters more confusing this NUX AC50 amp appears in my searches for acoustic/vocal amps. I wish there were more videos demonstrating the amp being used for vocals and guitar in studio and live. I've not seen any indication of how much volume the NUX has in comparison to the Fishman Loudbox mini which seems to be the yardstick amp in the under 100w range. From what I can see, there are no local stores selling this amp in my area, but some in other parts of the country. I'm kind of reluctant to purchase it without testing it with vocals and guitar, so some compelling feedback would be great to see on a thread such as this....Cheers from NZ
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2019, 01:27 AM
AllanAnd AllanAnd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Grenaa, Denmark
Posts: 72
Default

When I had the borrowed one with me here at home it sounded really great. Didn’t try it with a mic, though...

I ended up not buying one as something happened on at more electric front for me so I suddenly had to direct my funds towards a HX Stomp...

Will buy it if I ever need one... For sure!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2019, 03:02 PM
LateBjart LateBjart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanAnd View Post
I am contemplating getting a NUX Stageman AC-50 and I would like to hear from owners or someone who has tried it... What are Your thoughts?

I am primarily an electric guitar player but I really like the sound of an amplified acoustic guitar and this one suits my wallet, too...

AND: Does anyone know if an acoustic amp like this is like an FRFR speaker/amp so I maybe once in a blue moon kan connect my modelling gear to it an play electric guitar, too?

Allan
Yes, I regularly gig with the NUX Stageman in small pubs. I use guitar AND vocals through it. It is loud enough for a noisy pub with 30-50 people. The clarity is awesome. Vocals sound really crisp and the reverb is absolutely fantastic. The bluetooth function (with app) is really handy. It allows me to loop the master out so I can do a sound check on myself (walking around the place and listening).

BTW, I sometimes add a subwoofer to it (through the DI out). This is mostly just because of a stomp pedal that needs that extra oomph.

All in all, absolutely reccommended. I can compare it to the Fender Acoustasonic 90. I would say the power was similiar, put the NUX has much nicer treble, better clarity, more "hi-fi" like sound and way better reverb. It is also a better solution than the LD Maui 5 column system which I previously owned. The Maui sounded muddy in comparison, had no FX and a laughable option for EQ adjustment.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-14-2019, 12:26 AM
AllanAnd AllanAnd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Grenaa, Denmark
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBjart View Post
Yes, I regularly gig with the NUX Stageman in small pubs. I use guitar AND vocals through it. It is loud enough for a noisy pub with 30-50 people. The clarity is awesome. Vocals sound really crisp and the reverb is absolutely fantastic. The bluetooth function (with app) is really handy. It allows me to loop the master out so I can do a sound check on myself (walking around the place and listening).

BTW, I sometimes add a subwoofer to it (through the DI out). This is mostly just because of a stomp pedal that needs that extra oomph.

All in all, absolutely reccommended. I can compare it to the Fender Acoustasonic 90. I would say the power was similiar, put the NUX has much nicer treble, better clarity, more "hi-fi" like sound and way better reverb. It is also a better solution than the LD Maui 5 column system which I previously owned. The Maui sounded muddy in comparison, had no FX and a laughable option for EQ adjustment.
Thank You very much for this!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Kabi Kabi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 26
Default

Anyone can compare this NUX Stageman AC-50 with Loudbox Mini Charge, Mackie FreePlay Live or other similar amps?
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=