The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 12-30-2018, 06:59 PM
gerardo1000 gerardo1000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,372
Default

There is one thing about this whole story that I continue not to understand, maybe you can help in giving your opinion: we are talking about quality control, right? Ok, now how many guitars Emerald ship on an average day? Three, four, five? Maybe more. But the limit seems to be the over 20 guitars that were ready to be shipped before the holidays, as per Alistair's video during which he takes each guitar on his hands and describes it. Now, how much time do you need to see all the flaws that the OP's guitar has ? A few minutes, no more. Therefore, even if you have 20 guitars to ship on one day, how long does it takes to inspect them carefully? One hour, maybe two hours.
That is why I find not acceptable that THAT guitar was shipped, because either it was not checked, which doesn't make sense considering the limited volume of guitars built, or it was checked and it passed the inspection, which is even worse. Maybe Alistair will be able not only to take care of the OP' issue, but also to explain us how it happened. I have an X20 in my future, but would hate to find myself in the same situation as the OP.

Last edited by gerardo1000; 12-30-2018 at 09:04 PM.
  #62  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:04 PM
eatswodo's Avatar
eatswodo eatswodo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,981
Default

I find it amusing that suddenly everyone knows how to run a guitar factory.
__________________
David Eastwood
1963 Martin 0-16NY
2018 Emerald X20
2019 Emerald X20-7
  #63  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM
gerardo1000 gerardo1000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,372
Default

I didn't say that I know how to run a guitar factory, I said that there is one thing that I do not understand, I explained my reasoning and asked other forum members to help with their opinion, not with their sarcasm.
  #64  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:40 PM
Puerto Player Puerto Player is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 764
Default

I have two Emeralds, I'll have one more. I have one of their 3K+ customs too. If I had those "problems", I'd ask for them to be fixed or the guitar replaced. No biggie, it's a custom guitar, but it's just a guitar, not the end of the world. They can make another.
__________________
2019 Emerald X30 Woody Select
2016 Emerald X20 Woody Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2004 Goodall RPC-14
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2003 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC
2009 Gibson EC-20
1957 Gibson ES225 TDC
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
  #65  
Old 12-30-2018, 08:56 PM
billyg's Avatar
billyg billyg is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germantown, TN - outside of Memphis
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
No, I disagree with those who thought the OP should wait to post. Come on guys and be real....who has been getting all the praise on this forum for months?

EMERALD. Period.

This is the reason I've gone to Emerald.com so many times over the last few months to check out what they are creating. Alistair's designs have really grown on me and I'm finding myself attracted to the idea of the new X7. Reports on the new X7 have been overwhelmingly positive as well, enough to nearly pull the trigger on a stock guitar...no joke. The only thing keeping me from doing so is that I don't need 3 guitars and don't want to sell either of the 2 I have to fund it. This thread is helping to solidify my decision.

-Buying a CF 1.75K guitar factory direct, for the first time, sight unseen, carries significant risk. Just saying.

-Buying a 1.75K wood guitar, factory direct, for the first time, sight unseen and ear unheard, carries significant risk. Just saying.

I totally support the OPs decision to post here prior to contacting the company. What you YOU do? Put yourself in the guys shoes for a minute. You just bought an Emerald after following all the praise here to receive a guitar with the ugliest neck on a guitar you have ever seen? You just spent $3K on a guitar that you know the manufacturer would not have modeled at a NAMM show but somehow makes it to your door?

It's not our call to undermine the OP's decision to disclose the issue on the forum people. We are not just here to enable- we are here to counsel
I posted early that personally, I would have given the company time to directly respond to me before I made a public post. If I thought the issue, even after being corrected, would help the forum community, I would post it after having given the company a chance. That way, and again, this is just MY way, I would have the full story to report and it would be oops / positive or oops / negative but we would have a complete story. In fact, as I indicated in my earlier post, that is exactly what I have done.

I also would have been slower on the trigger because it is the holiday and folks are off.

On the other hand (and I have two of them) I fully understand the disappointment that comes with opening a guitar that either isn't what you ordered or has a quality issue. As I noted, I ordered a custom electric with SA and Ghost Piezo and pickups and everything, and the Ghost Piezo didn't work on one string when I pulled it out of the box, nor did the synth access. After the first return, the synth was making sputtering noise. After second return, fully fixed. How does a piezo enabled relatively custom instrument get out the door with one string not even working? Answer, someone messed up (twice in this case). And they should (and did) fix it. Then I posted the complete story.

I had another, very expensive custom shop electric, that I spec'd out completely and paid extra for a natural mahogany back. After 5 months it arrived with a blue back. I gasped and was downtrodden when my wife said that she thought it looked better with the blue back. Company offered to refund the extra payment or rebuild. I kept it and couldn't be happier. I didn't post that one because that specific company almost never makes a mistake.

So I agree that since ordering Emeralds for most of us takes a bit of a leap of faith that the info from the OP would be and is helpful. I just personally believe there is a little too much instant responses over social media sometimes.
__________________
===
"Don't let your baby down" Storm Windows, John Prine
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin D76, MC-DSM; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, Stehr GA; Lowden F32; Rainsong P12; Gretsch HOF Country Gent; Gibson ES 165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
  #66  
Old 12-30-2018, 09:33 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 3,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyg View Post
I posted early that personally, I would have given the company time to directly respond to me before I made a public post.
Hey billyg, I wasn't singling anyone out and there are at least 2 others sharing your sentiment (I may be reading between the lines but I feel that it is there). Sorry if you took it that way (but we are all friends here anyway so I'm not even all over their cases either. This is a super cool subforum and I would love to see it stay that way)

It ultimately doesn't matter to me personally because it is not my guitar, but like you, the most expensive guitar I ever ordered wasn't exactly what I was expecting either. So, in roundabout way I have a dog in this fight- albeit emotional and nothing more. Just for the record, I handled that situation like you did. I went to the company before voicing my frustrations here, and actually ended up keeping that guitar because 1) I didn't want to go through the hassle of waiting for it's replacement, and 2) I loved everything about the guitar with the one glaring issue that kinda bugged me. And guess what? The issue was cosmetic and that is the most unlikely thing to get me upset, because it did not affect form and function I kept it. I will say this though- I will never order a guitar from said company again sight unseen and still think I should have received a discount for keeping it.

Still, I can't believe that Emerald was shipped. However, I just know Alistair will fix it and totally get that mistakes happen. I still would take my chances on an X7 and just might someday and I'm actually quite impressed with the work done at Emerald. I don't think anybody can compete right now. I mean just look at the wait list and wait times! There is a reason for that.
__________________
'15 Martin D Jr2
'18 Journey OF660

Last edited by steelvibe; 12-30-2018 at 09:51 PM.
  #67  
Old 12-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Earl49 Earl49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 7,816
Default

Melt (OP) I sent you an email just now, and included my phone number.

It is unfortunate that this happened and right on the holiday break - be patient. When I had a minor set-up issue, Alistair called me the next day and we worked it out acceptably. He takes this stuff VERY seriously. I'll make no further comment here until Alistair or Kevin has a chance to respond and remedy the situation. Have faith.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
.... I can say the workmanship seemed awesome to me, just a couple bubbles maybe in the finish (Earl has my old one and can check).
Confirmed. Superb workmanship on that X20, and no issues.
  #68  
Old 12-31-2018, 05:32 AM
jdinco jdinco is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I find it amusing that suddenly everyone knows how to run a guitar factory.
I'd give everyone a Christmas Turkey. Sorry, that just struck me as funny eatswodo.
__________________
John
  #69  
Old 12-31-2018, 07:00 AM
jonfields45 jonfields45 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 3,256
Default

For you guys who own veneer top Emeralds, is the fit of the veneer on this instrument typical?
__________________
- Jon Fields

RainSong '17 CH-PA1100NS, '18 CO-PA1100NS, TKL 8975, Taped Passive HFN, Elixir PB11
RainSong '19 V-DR1100N2, TKL 8810, no pickup, Elixir PB11

1 QSC CP8 high/behind, duo gigging no mixer 2 SM58>XLR-Y>CP8, HFN>HxStomp(jf45ir)>TRS>CP8 3.5mm

jonfields45@gmail.com
www.justsoduo.com
  #70  
Old 12-31-2018, 07:27 AM
Teleplucker's Avatar
Teleplucker Teleplucker is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,132
Default

I skimmed through this thread. I'm pretty sure I saw a FB post from Alistair that he was on break and climbing a mountain. I'll bet they will take care of you after the holiday.
  #71  
Old 12-31-2018, 07:47 AM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
For you guys who own veneer top Emeralds, is the fit of the veneer on this instrument typical?
I gave mine a good close look after seeing this thread and, no, it’s basically perfect. Seamless around the rounded part of the bridge. The edges all fade to black in kind of a mini burst look but it looks just as you’d hope. If there’s anything that someone might point to as imperfect, it might be around the neck cut. It looks perfect to me, but I don’t see much of a problem with that part of the OP’s photos either, so maybe someone with a more discerning eye would be able o pick something out...

Those details on the Op’s Guitar wouldn’t have bothered me - I’d have probably never noticed them or the uneven fret marking dots. I suspect there’s more margin for error on mine because the veneer is much darker to begin with so I’d have to look really hard to even see those veneer flaws if they’d been there on mine. The fretwork and the divot in the fretboard would bother me a lot, but some of the little cosmetic details wouldn’t have been on my radar, personally...
  #72  
Old 12-31-2018, 02:37 PM
NoodleFingers NoodleFingers is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 454
Default

I know this is a little off-topic, but do you think we could get a full-front shot of the guitar? I'm thinking my next guitar (still a ways away) will be an X20 Woody, and right now I'm thinking I like the royal ebony best, with ziricote a close second.
  #73  
Old 12-31-2018, 03:01 PM
GuitarLuva GuitarLuva is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 1,554
Default

I guess it's possible. Most folks here seem pretty honest and vocal about their experiences. I'm a pretty picky individual myself and ordered an Emerald based on opinions from this forum. I went over mine with a fine toothed comb when I first received it and am happy to report it's completely flawless. Emerald, Alistair in particular, seems to have always been known for pride in craftsmanship which is why I'll bet my savings account that the OP's story will have a happy ending.

I'm willing to guess because of the increased popularity of the brand, their production is through the roof, and he's got guys there now who do certain tasks. I know he has a veneer guy, a guy who does clear coating, etc and in reality these individuals are probably not as skilled as the man himself (with no disrespect to those individuals of course). After all, how many people in the world can build this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-11-2019 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
  #74  
Old 12-31-2018, 03:14 PM
eatswodo's Avatar
eatswodo eatswodo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I know this is a little off-topic, but do you think we could get a full-front shot of the guitar? I'm thinking my next guitar (still a ways away) will be an X20 Woody, and right now I'm thinking I like the royal ebony best, with ziricote a close second.
I believe this is the guitar in question:

__________________
David Eastwood
1963 Martin 0-16NY
2018 Emerald X20
2019 Emerald X20-7
  #75  
Old 12-31-2018, 03:29 PM
Melt in the Sun Melt in the Sun is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 165
Default

Yes, that's the guitar.
__________________
enough instruments to be mediocre at all of them
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=