The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-20-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Here is my tip for using the SA220/330:

The Fishstick, just like any column array doesn't sound it's best until you
get at least 6 feet or so away from it. When you gig try to keep the speaker a little
away from you if you at all can and you will hear what the audience hears. If the stage
is very crowded at the very least adjust the EQ standing away from the speaker and
know what you're hearing may differ, be less balanced.

Cheers, _Roger

This is my biggest complaint with this sort of line array type system. I do single and duo work, and there is rarely that sort of space to stand that far away from a speaker behind me or off to the side.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
This is my biggest complaint with this sort of line array type system. I do single and duo work, and there is rarely that sort of space to stand that far away from a speaker behind me or off to the side.
for places where you cant put it behind you, couldn't you use a small wedge monitor in front of you?
Old 12-21-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
for places where you cant put it behind you, couldn't you use a small wedge monitor in front of you?

Yes, I have done a number of gigs with a Bose L1 system and wedge monitors. It works really well, but it sort of defeats the stated purpose of this sort of system.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:07 PM

It possible to have a perfectly workable monitor tone without hearing exactly
what the audience hears. I suppose it's something of a matter of taste and what
you're willing to work with.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:10 PM

I have a Mackie Reach which has small side mounted monitor speakers on each side. The only problem that their silly “Wide-Z preamps” suck and the highest volume level is limited. The side mounted monitors work really well though.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 AM

I tested my SA220 for the first time last night and followed the directions.....

The manual says to raise the gain up until it the red light goes on and then back it down. With my guitar plugged in, the red light comes on around 12-1 oclock. But with the mic plugged in...the red light NEVER comes on. Is this normal? It sounds fine, but how how do I raise the gain without any indicator lights?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I tested my SA220 for the first time last night and followed the directions.....

The manual says to raise the gain up until it the red light goes on and then back it down. With my guitar plugged in, the red light comes on around 12-1 oclock. But with the mic plugged in...the red light NEVER comes on. Is this normal? It sounds fine, but how how do I raise the gain without any indicator lights?
Are you saying that with the gain maxed, and you speaking or singing into the mike, at the loudest you'll be speaking or singing the clip light doesn't come on? If that's the case the LED must not be working right. Just turn up the gain until you hear your voice distort and turn it back until no distortion occurs.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Make sure the 10dB pad is not engaged on the mic channel.
It’s that little button near the XLR input. You should usually not want it engaged with microphones.
Try it on and off to see what it does. The mic should much louder in one of the positions.

Cheers, _Roger
Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Any tips of minimizing feedback?

I used my SA220 at a club for the first time last Fri and had some high frequency feedback issues when trying to increase the volume. I could had the tower about 8 feet behind me at an angle. It was a small stage so I didn't have more room to move away from it. I followed the directions in the manual.....plugged in my guitar into channel 1....played it and adjusted the gain until it wasn't lighting the red light. Then plugged in the mic.
I noticed the gain knob on my mic had to go much higher that the guitar to achieve the same volume level. Then once they were level, I used the master volume to raise it to where I wanted it and thats when I got a high squealing feedback if I went past a certain point. Should I lower my gain levels and then bring up the master? Are there any EQ knobs that help to minimise feedback? What about reverb? Does that increase feedback? Any tips on settings for a moderate volume-moderate size room would be great.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:17 AM

Would my guitar sound better plugged into a DI box first and then into the Fishman? Does the Fishman's 1/4" instrument input have a built in DI?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification