The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-18-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Tips for first time Fishman SA220 owner

SO I just picked up a SA220 for small bar type gigs.

Would appreciate any tips on how to set levels, settings, placement or anything else about this unit. I know nothing about it!
For example...do I set the master volume high and the individual channel gains low or vice versa? What about the tweeter level knob?
What the pad/clip button do? Should I use a monitor with it?

Thanks

Last edited by JackB1; 12-18-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Here are some good resources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTgZMaKhZPU

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/39...man-Sa220.html

Steve
Old 12-18-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
SO I just picked up a SA220 for small bar type gigs.

Would appreciate any tips on how to set levels, settings, placement or anything else about this unit. I know nothing about it!
For example...do I set the master volume high and the individual channel gains low or vice versa? What about the tweeter level knob?
What the pad/clip button do? Should I use a monitor with it?

Thanks
Okay, first set it up to the side and slightly behind you. That will allow you to hear yourself but not feedback. You don't just play with the gain and master volume knobs! You set the gain like any other mixer. Turn the Master volume to zero. Then on each channel, with either guitar or microphone plugged in, sing or play at the loudest you will be doing at performance while increasing the gain on that channel. When the little red LED near the gain control, lights up you are at max clean gain. Back it off slightly so the light no longer lights up. Repeat on the other channel. Then control the overall volume with the Master Volume. If you need to tweak the balance between channels, like the guitar is louder than the vocals, then turn down the gain on the offending channel.

You can adjust the tweeter after the gain is set up. Try leaving all the EQ knobs flat,, or straight up in the 12:00 o'clock position. Set the tweeter at 12:00 o'clock too. Then add or subtract treble to taste. After that set your EQ as necessary.

Last edited by Guitaurman; 12-18-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
Okay, first set it up to the side and slightly behind you. That will allow you to hear yourself but not feedback. You don't just play with the gain and master volume knobs! You set the gain like any other mixer. Turn the Master volume to zero. Then on each channel, with either guitar or microphone plugged in, sing or play at the loudest you will be doing at performance while increasing the gain on that channel. When the little red LED near the gain control, lights up you are at max clean gain. Back it off slightly so the light no longer lights up. Repeat on the other channel. Then control the overall volume with the Master Volume. If you need to tweak the balance between channels, like the guitar is louder than the vocals, then turn down the gain on the offending channel.

You can adjust the tweeter after the gain is set up. Try leaving all the EQ knobs flat,, or straight up in the 12:00 o'clock position. Set the tweeter at 12:00 o'clock too. Then add or subtract treble to taste. After that set your EQ as necessary.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
The pad button will reduce the sensitivity of the input. You only need it if the gain control can't reduce the input signal from a really hot source and is overloading the preamp. Try it after setting up your gain and you'll see that it reduces the output of the channel because it reduces the input by about 20dB. You'll probably never need it.

Good luck! Enjoy the Fishman.

Last edited by Guitaurman; 12-18-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:56 PM

Ok I understand everything but can’t figure out the tweeter level knob in the back. It doesn’t sound much different when I turn the knob. What is the best setting for this knob?
Old 12-18-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Ok I understand everything but can’t figure out the tweeter level knob in the back. It doesn’t sound much different when I turn the knob. What is the best setting for this knob?
Really it's where you think it sounds best. I have a SA 330 and it's set about in the middle of it's range. It just adds or subtracts a little high end.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Really it's where you think it sounds best. I have a SA 330 and it's set about in the middle of it's range. It just adds or subtracts a little high end.
It's not very noticeable and is it really necessary along with the regular EQ for highs? Seems a little redundant.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:51 AM

I am having an issue with the knobs on my SA220 (got mine used) that hold up the tripod stand and also keep the pole tight. They seem stripped and won't tighten. Anyone have this issue and any ideas for a fix or workaround?
Old 12-19-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I am having an issue with the knobs on my SA220 (got mine used) that hold up the tripod stand and also keep the pole tight. They seem stripped and won't tighten. Anyone have this issue and any ideas for a fix or workaround?
The stand on my SA330 works fine. I had no trouble with the one I had for the SA220 that I previously owned. If I were you I'd call Fishman. They are great about customer service. I think the stand can be fixed. I also use Ultimate Support Stands for my big PA. They have replacement parts for their stands. I'd imaging Fishman can help you with replacement parts too.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
The stand on my SA330 works fine. I had no trouble with the one I had for the SA220 that I previously owned. If I were you I'd call Fishman. They are great about customer service. I think the stand can be fixed. I also use Ultimate Support Stands for my big PA. They have replacement parts for their stands. I'd imaging Fishman can help you with replacement parts too.
Yes they are sending me some parts. I guess the previous owner tried tightening them too much?
Old 12-19-2018, 02:55 PM

I've used an SA220 for years and have always thought it's a great piece of gear for the right-size venue. I'm sure you'll like it. The feedback notch filter is a heck of a handy feature too. I also highly suggest a foot-controlled on/off switch to connect to the "mute" switch input on the back. $10-$15 and very handy when you want to cut your signal for whatever reason. On the stand, I've never had to tighten the knobs real tight to have them work fine, and in fact there's the pass-through rod that goes right through the holes in the pole, underneath the amp itself, that eliminates the need to tighten that top knob at all. Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-19-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I've used an SA220 for years and have always thought it's a great piece of gear for the right-size venue. I'm sure you'll like it. The feedback notch filter is a heck of a handy feature too. I also highly suggest a foot-controlled on/off switch to connect to the "mute" switch input on the back. $10-$15 and very handy when you want to cut your signal for whatever reason. On the stand, I've never had to tighten the knobs real tight to have them work fine, and in fact there's the pass-through rod that goes right through the holes in the pole, underneath the amp itself, that eliminates the need to tighten that top knob at all. Good luck!
right. The pin keeps it at the height you want, but tightening that upper knob keeps it from rotating. The bottom knob is the important one that keeps the bottom tripod from moving.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:11 PM

Here is my tip for using the SA220/330:

The Fishstick, just like any column array doesn't sound it's best until you
get at least 6 feet or so away from it. When you gig try to keep the speaker a little
away from you if you at all can and you will hear what the audience hears. If the stage
is very crowded at the very least adjust the EQ standing away from the speaker and
know what you're hearing may differ, be less balanced.

Cheers, _Roger
Old 12-20-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Here is my tip for using the SA220/330:

The Fishstick, just like any column array doesn't sound it's best until you
get at least 6 feet or so away from it. When you gig try to keep the speaker a little
away from you if you at all can and you will hear what the audience hears. If the stage
is very crowded at the very least adjust the EQ standing away from the speaker and
know what you're hearing may differ, be less balanced.

Cheers, _Roger
Thanks. That’s a good tip.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification