The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 09-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Ryan Alexander Ryan Alexander is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 727
Default

Awesome! There are so many interesting builds on here, including this one. I've never encountered a Franklin in the wild, but I'm hopeful that changes one day
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-20-2018, 01:27 PM
ChuckS's Avatar
ChuckS ChuckS is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,774
Default

I'm looking forward to following this build. Wonderful looking set of woods. I've seen photos of a guitar or two built with fiddleback Cuban Mahogany (I think one was a Bown).

Cuban Mahogany is a great tonewood. To me, it seems to keep the typical Honduran Mahogany trebles but has a richer and more focused bass. The luthier who built mine said Cuban Mahogany was typically about 15-20% more dense than Honduran Mahogany , and the particular set of Cuban Mahogany I chose was about 20% more dense than typical Cuban Mahogany. Mine was sourced from Brad Goodman, and came from a tree that was downed in St. Thomas by hurricane Hugo.
__________________
Chuck

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-20-2018, 02:22 PM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 3,853
Default

Congrats Bob. The Cuban is beautiful. Donít recall any Iíve seen with that much figure. Gonna be special.
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-20-2018, 03:12 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I'm not a mahogany guy. Or I wasn't until I heard a Charis in Cuban Mahogany that made me rethink what that wood sounds like. I can't describe what made it different, but I just know I should have bought it. Love the figuring in yours, I can only imagine that this is going to be a wonderful instrument.
In my experience, the sound of a guitar is influenced by 1) its maker; 2) its design/size; 3) top wood; and 4) the body wood (in that order). I suspect you like Bill Wiseís instruments and it may have been a denser set of Cuban Mahogany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
No way that is Cuban Mahogany..... lucky you Bob! Looks incredible
Thanks Marcus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Alexander View Post
Awesome! There are so many interesting builds on here, including this one. I've never encountered a Franklin in the wild, but I'm hopeful that changes one day
I enjoy following other peopleís build threads here as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I'm looking forward to following this build. Wonderful looking set of woods. I've seen photos of a guitar or two built with fiddleback Cuban Mahogany (I think one was a Bown).

Cuban Mahogany is a great tonewood. To me, it seems to keep the typical Honduran Mahogany trebles but has a richer and more focused bass. The luthier who built mine said Cuban Mahogany was typically about 15-20% more dense than Honduran Mahogany , and the particular set of Cuban Mahogany I chose was about 20% more dense than typical Cuban Mahogany. Mine was sourced from Brad Goodman, and came from a tree that was downed in St. Thomas by hurricane Hugo.
Yes, I suspect that its density, stiffness and damping differs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats Bob. The Cuban is beautiful. Donít recall any Iíve seen with that much figure. Gonna be special.
Thanks Dennis.... I have high hopes for it.
__________________
ACOUSTIC FLAT TOPS by: Michael Bashkin | Mark Blanchard | Laurent Brondel | John Buscarino | Kent Chasson | Howard Klepper | Bruce Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-20-2018, 03:44 PM
Guitars44me's Avatar
Guitars44me Guitars44me is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mountains east of San Diego
Posts: 2,846
Smile Beautiful Woods

As so many have commented the Cuban mahogany is beautiful!

But am I the only one here who LOVES the old German Spruce? I really dig the racing stripe down the center, and find it just gorgeous!!!

And, I believe more folks should go for tone over looks.

To coin a phrase that just occurred to me:

Looks are only skin deep but tone goes to your heart!!! And, that is a pleasing plantilla, indeed. Bigger is better IMHO.

This will be a KILLER

Paul
__________________

J Kinnaird Round Peak 12c Cedar/Maple MWedge bevels port K&K
JK RP12c Cedar/Hog bevels port K&K
JK RP12c BCEuro/HRW. bevels, port, K&K
RT2 12c Sinker/Claro/Koa bevel ES1.3
94 LKSM 12
98 W14c
96 412ce
Coming: new JK Custom (even bigger!)

FOR SALE: Ohana all Solid hog Weissenborn $450
FOR SALE: Taylor 98 W-14c. NM+ NOW $2950!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-20-2018, 06:30 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,536
Default

That was my view as well...

Nick had some aesthetically superior Swiss Spruce that was a mere 30 years old, but he felt sonically that it was no match for this old German Spruce. I have a wonderful guitar that Bruce Sexauer made for me using German Spruce that has compression wood in the top. By general market aesthetic standards, itís a AA top. But sonically..., , grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
As so many have commented the Cuban mahogany is beautiful!

But am I the only one here who LOVES the old German Spruce? I really dig the racing stripe down the center, and find it just gorgeous!!!

And, I believe more folks should go for tone over looks.

To coin a phrase that just occurred to me:

Looks are only skin deep but tone goes to your heart!!! And, that is a pleasing plantilla, indeed. Bigger is better IMHO.

This will be a KILLER

Paul
__________________
ACOUSTIC FLAT TOPS by: Michael Bashkin | Mark Blanchard | Laurent Brondel | John Buscarino | Kent Chasson | Howard Klepper | Bruce Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:30 PM
jt1 jt1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,325
Default

Fantastic! I love Nick's work.
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:36 PM
FormerFoodie FormerFoodie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Nick had some aesthetically superior Swiss Spruce that was a mere 30 years old, but he felt sonically that it was no match for this old German Spruce. I have a wonderful guitar that Bruce Sexauer made for me using German Spruce that has compression wood in the top. By general market aesthetic standards, itís a AA top. But sonically..., , grade.
You are a wise man to trust the luthier.

I have a Frog that has this asymmetric streak on the adirondack top. Most purists would raise their nose at it. However, the tone that oozes from this guitar is insane. I'm glad I judged with my ears and not my eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 PM
justonwo's Avatar
justonwo justonwo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,094
Default

As a mahogany connoisseur, I definitely appreciate the radness of that mahogany. Superb stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-20-2018, 11:59 PM
rgregg48 rgregg48 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky
Posts: 3,267
Default

Puppy's and pancakes!
__________________
3 classical guitars
two steel string guitars
one mandolin
One banjo
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-24-2018, 07:21 AM
Codfather Codfather is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 46
Default Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
That may have been my olí thread.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...light=Franklin

Regardless, Nick was great to work with, and the guitar truly wondrous. Enjoy the path.
Still have it?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:24 AM
M Sarad M Sarad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bakersfield!!!
Posts: 1,071
Default

The first time I ever saw Flamed Cuban Mahogany was when John built this guitar for me around 2001. I had to sell it for home repairs. I am currently trying to get it back.

http://www.kinnairdguitars.com/Galle...00Main29e.html
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-24-2018, 12:44 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,536
Default

Looks like similar stuff...(thanks for sharing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
The first time I ever saw Flamed Cuban Mahogany was when John built this guitar for me around 2001. I had to sell it for home repairs. I am currently trying to get it back.

http://www.kinnairdguitars.com/Galle...00Main29e.html
__________________
ACOUSTIC FLAT TOPS by: Michael Bashkin | Mark Blanchard | Laurent Brondel | John Buscarino | Kent Chasson | Howard Klepper | Bruce Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-24-2018, 05:59 PM
usb_chord's Avatar
usb_chord usb_chord is offline
I like nice things
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,140
Default

Exceptional stuff, Mr. iiĖVĖI. I'm really excited to see how this one progresses!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-24-2018, 11:43 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Exceptional stuff, Mr. iiĖVĖI. I'm really excited to see how this one progresses!!
Thanks... I am uncertain how many updates I will post, but Nick will likely share some key steps as his build progresses.
__________________
ACOUSTIC FLAT TOPS by: Michael Bashkin | Mark Blanchard | Laurent Brondel | John Buscarino | Kent Chasson | Howard Klepper | Bruce Sexauer
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=