The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-16-2018, 03:16 PM

Default Fishman Platinum Stage preamp/DI

I haven't seen a lot of talk about the Fishman Platinum Stage preamp/DI.
It seems like an awesome package with a really cool feature set.
It has sweepable mids, input gain, phase reverse, boost, and can run on
battery or phantom or external power and will fit in a guitar case.

It does have a 10MegOhm input. And I don't think I'd use the belt clip.

Anyone have experience with particular unit? Anybody try it with a K&K
pickup?

Feedback here on the larger Platinum Pro seems to say it sounds good.
I assume the Stage probably has the same preamp circuit.

Any thoughts at all about this thing? Much appreciated, _Roger
Old 06-16-2018, 06:26 PM

Default Fishman Platinum Stage preamp/DI

I own one. I have two guitars with SBT type pick ups; One is equipped with a K&K, the other with a JJB 330. In my opinion it is a great pre/DI for the price and there isn’t much to dislike considering the cost. I think you are correct that the essential circuitry is identical between the Stage and the Pro.

You get a more robust EQ section, compression, and onboard tuner with the Pro. Are these features are worth an additional $150? Possibly for some but not for me- although I admittedly am speaking somewhat with ignorance since I've not used the Pro. One thing that turned me away from the Pro is that you absolutely need a battery or wall wart to power the unit. The Stage is more plug and play with the ability to be phantom powered as you already mentioned.

Other pros:

--the Stage has a trim for the input to set and forget and avoid over driving the unit live. With the low-cuts and the mid sweep, this will help eliminate feedback. If all else fails you can use a sound hole plug.
--low profile. This thing fits in the compartment inside my guitar case (although not without removal of some other items). Still, that is pretty darn cool!
--17V of analog headroom. This will take the quack right out of your pickup and give it the punchiness/ roundness of tone lost with lesser or no preamp at all. The question on this forum all the time is "does the K&K need a preamp?". The answer is always "no" of course but it is always followed by "but you will sound better if you use one". I can't tell you enough how true that is!
-- 1/4 line out. This can go to a stage amp, or in my case, I use it for my own headphones/ personal in ear monitor

Cons:

no effects loop and no mute switches. Belt clip feature seems kind of silly- mine sits on the floor.

Last edited by steelvibe; 06-17-2018 at 12:57 AM. Reason: added information

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification