The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-06-2018, 02:40 PM

Default Want to swap out PU's.

I bet this has been asked 1 million different ways, but here goes my attempt. I have a Squier HSS Strat that my son lost interest in. I still enjoy playing around with it, because.... it's a guitar? I'd like for it to be my first experiment at modifying. Want to swap out the Bridge humbucker. What do you guys suggest as the most versatile humbucker? Seymour duncan 59's have been mentioned to me, and I have no reason to doubt them. Just looking for other answers. Budget is about the SD range. Under $100. Used on Reverb is not a problem either.

I said "versatile" as I'd like to be able to do anything. As my user name suggests, Clapton is nice, but with the ability to go heavier with the limit being Metallica. No more distortion than that. No death metal.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

59' is a pretty nice one. The biggest issue with mixing Hums and singles is balancing them out between each other and pot selection. a 500k would bring that pickup to it's most lively potential in my experience, whereas the stocks will be cheap 250ks which are better suited for singles. Some humbuckers will be muddy and gross with the wrong pots. Some will be too loud and harsh when mixed with the singles. It's a (fun) tightrope walk. Might be fun to buy something used and play around.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
I bet this has been asked 1 million different ways, but here goes my attempt. I have a Squier HSS Strat that my son lost interest in. I still enjoy playing around with it, because.... it's a guitar? I'd like for it to be my first experiment at modifying. Want to swap out the Bridge humbucker. What do you guys suggest as the most versatile humbucker? Seymour duncan 59's have been mentioned to me, and I have no reason to doubt them. Just looking for other answers. Budget is about the SD range. Under $100. Used on Reverb is not a problem either.

I said "versatile" as I'd like to be able to do anything. As my user name suggests, Clapton is nice, but with the ability to go heavier with the limit being Metallica. No more distortion than that. No death metal.

Thanks in advance.

You answered your own question with the SD 59. It just doesn’t get as versatile as that. While at it, take advantage of SD’s split-coil wiring. By installing push-pull pot, or individual toggle switches, and you’ll make that Strat as versatile as it can be.

Also, as mentioned, it’s good to install a 500k volume pot, but Squiers usually come with 500k pots. In that case I’d advise to install 250k pots for the middle and bridge tone pots.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Hard to go wrong with anything by Seymour Duncan. I think the Pearly Gates is worth a try. If you wanted to stick with Fender original parts, the ShawBucker 1 should sound great in your guitar, and is in your price range.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-09-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Hard to go wrong with anything by Seymour Duncan. I think the Pearly Gates is worth a try. If you wanted to stick with Fender original parts, the ShawBucker 1 should sound great in your guitar, and is in your price range.
+1. SD makes great pickups.

I have a '59 in a couple of guitars and it's a great pickup. Can handle blues, rock, and even take it into metal territory (not drop C nu-metal though, which is stuff I don't play).

Some places have a return policy that if you don't like the pickup you can exchange it for another one.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:40 PM

Harmonic Design Z90.

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/gibsons.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ciyQa93_Q8Q

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars