The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Ok here goes,this is for guitar and vocals. This bar/restaurant is huge, it has 6 power amps in 2 different locations. They power approx 30 6.5" speakers. I am in a different location than the amp. Usually, I take a 1/4" cable out of my Carvin 6 channel head from the monitor out, that goes to a remote box that connects into the house. I can control the volume of the whole place from the monitor out vol control. I also use 1 10" passive speaker for sound near me in the bar area. But now, I have to send my Carvin head in for service. So I need a backup.

My temporary solution will be using my Fishman Artist loudbox. I will take the xlr mix out of the Fishman to a 1/4" with converter into the house. That would work, but I wouldnt have any control of the volume. I want to have a control for the volume of the house (like with my monitor out of the Carvin) between the xlr out and the 1/4" in. So today i tried the xlr out of the fishman and connected the 1/4" converter/adapter on the other end. I put the 1/4" into a Behringer Adi21 Acoustic pedal's input. Then took a 1/4" out of the Behringer and into a powered speaker. I was able to control the volume of the powered speaker with the Behringer Adi pedal. I know signals are unbalanced but it seemed to work. Whew, long winded, I hope u can understand all this. Thanks Louis
That makes sense, since the pedal is actually a preamp, so it's boosting the signal, not just attenuating it. So it's strong enough even though it's not balanced. As long as you don't have to go too far at the venue it should work more or less the same way. Not ideal, but if it works, it works. Might be noisy, though. I hope you can test it before you have to set up and play!

Louis
Old 05-29-2018, 09:14 PM

Maybe use a small mixer in between. Might that work in this scenario?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Maybe use a small mixer in between. Might that work in this scenario?
Yes that was going to be my next step. Since it's only a temporary fix, i was trying to use what i already own.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Yes that was going to be my next step. Since it's only a temporary fix, i was trying to use what i already own.
That would be ideal: a small mixer to send a balanced mix to the house amps with an aux feed to send to your Loudbox or powered speaker for monitoring. The A&H ZED10FX, for example, has a convenient attenuator switch for the main outputs for just this sort of submixing purpose.

Louis
Old 05-30-2018, 07:13 AM

I find it very strange that the 'house system' has no controls at all - volume or EQ - how exactly does it split the signal you're giving it - 1/4" or XLR and send to it to 6 amps all over the place? This distribution system would have to be balanced, or the noise would get bad. I suspect the owner/manager doesn't understand the system and relies on the talent to do it on their end.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-30-2018, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Volume pedal
Old 05-30-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I find it very strange that the 'house system' has no controls at all - volume or EQ - how exactly does it split the signal you're giving it - 1/4" or XLR and send to it to 6 amps all over the place? This distribution system would have to be balanced, or the noise would get bad. I suspect the owner/manager doesn't understand the system and relies on the talent to do it on their end.
To answer your question, I have no idea how it works... It was a small place and they grew and grew and just kept adding speakers and how it's all wired I have no idea.... There are volume controls on all the power amps, but no eq. On one side of the restaurant there are 3 power amps and 1 preamp for that side. On the other (bar side) there are 3 power amps and that is the power for that side. There is a 1/4" remote box in the middle of the 2 places that the performer plugs a monitor out signal into. It's a crazy system but for the most part it works. Not high fidelity, but it works. Yes the management depends on the performer to control things.

Last edited by jricc; 05-30-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:27 AM

I play a couple places like this. It's probably their radio playback system. They probably have different zones that they can control, but not much EQ,... if any.

My guess is they most likely use RCA jacks into the system and they probably compress the hell out of any incoming signal to keep from live music harming the speakers.

If you get any buzz, try lifting the ground.

Last edited by The Kid!; 05-30-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I play a couple places like this. It's probably their radio playback system. They probably have different zones that they can control, but not much EQ,... if any.

My guess is they most likely use RCA jacks into the system and they probably compress the hell out of any incoming signal to keep from live music harming the speakers.

If you get any buzz, try lifting the ground.
Thanks The Kid
Old 05-30-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks The Kid
Sure thing!

I'd bring a small powered speaker for a floor monitor and mix myself. I'd send the same mix from the left side of the board, using the gain on the back of the floor monitor as my personal monitor volume, and the right side to FOH.

EDIT:
I'd high pass everything too. Those small speakers won't be able to handle much low end.

Last edited by The Kid!; 05-30-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks The Kid
Hey man, did you ever get things at the venue sorted out? Did the mixer work?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey man, did you ever get things at the venue sorted out? Did the mixer work?
I used the Behringer ADi21. It worked ok, i think i had may have had the Level on the Behringer set a little high and it distorted. When I backed it off, it was better. From where I was playing, I couldn't tell what it sounded like,and had to rely on the bar staff to let me know what it sounded like. Until my Carvin gets fixed, I WILL use a mixer instead of the Behringer Di. I'll have better control using the monitor out of the mixer.
Thanks for asking
Old 06-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I used the Behringer ADi21. It worked ok, i think i had may have had the Level on the Behringer set a little high and it distorted. When I backed it off, it was better. From where I was playing, I couldn't tell what it sounded like,and had to rely on the bar staff to let me know what it sounded like. Until my Carvin gets fixed, I WILL use a mixer instead of the Behringer Di. I'll have better control using the monitor out of the mixer.
Thanks for asking
Right on. Gain staging is so important.

Sometimes I run my looper and take a walk out front. Or have someone else play through my system and take a listen.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 PM

I still think the passive volume control I linked to earlier is the simplest/best solution.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I still think the passive volume control I linked to earlier is the simplest/best solution.
Possibly, but only if the initial volume coming out of the amp's DI output is too loud. That unit is only an attenuator, so it can't make the signal louder if that's what's needed.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification