The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-16-2015, 08:00 PM

Hey Evan, This NAMM we do have other carbon (and wood) instruments coming, though not a classical. However, I don't think you'll have too much longer to wait.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM

I tried one and was seriously impressed with the sound. Much more low end than I expected. I now have one and my GS Mini, Taylor Baby and even a Voyage Air dread are up for sale.

The action is definitely too high so I'll have to attack the saddle with some sandpaper, but without a piezo it shouldn't be tricky at all.

Call me impressed!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:49 PM

David,

The high action may be part of the design on this particular guitar. Before you start saddle shaving I would give James a call. Great folks. Very responsive.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Guest 928

I suspect that high action is easier to deal with than low action. I believe that most guitars were originally set high with the notion that players could easily adjust action at the saddle and nut.

Last edited by Guest 928; 11-22-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:40 PM

Hi David, we intentionally set these up medium for action. But you should have tons of saddle compared to a wood guitar - our bridge and soundboard are carbon they can handle the break angle. We have serious artists giving our carbons love now - awaiting videos from Adrian Bellue and Don Ross.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Hi David, we intentionally set these up medium for action. But you should have tons of saddle compared to a wood guitar - our bridge and soundboard are carbon they can handle the break angle. We have serious artists giving our carbons love now - awaiting videos from Adrian Bellue and Don Ross.

So, no reason the action can't be lowered by shaving the saddle? Will it adversely affect the tone to take it down a bit? If so, maybe I need to get a second saddle to leave one at factory height and shave the other down.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:27 AM

Should have no tonal impact that you can detect by ear. The guitar actually comes with two saddles - one at medium height, and another at low height. They're in the little pocket with the truss rod wrench.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Should have no tonal impact that you can detect by ear. The guitar actually comes with two saddles - one at medium height, and another at low height. They're in the little pocket with the truss rod wrench.
Argh... guess what's missing from my case? :-0

I registered the guitar tonight. I'll send you an Email about getting a replacement.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Guest 928

I believe that there is a difference in both projection and tone with set up. I come from the old school, nylon string guitars. Such guitars used to have very high set ups--those create more string tension and produce enhanced projection and different tone. With the event of electronics, nylon string instruments could move to cut-a-ways and lower set-ups--a la Chet Atkins.

The point is, I think, if it's acoustic projection you want, then a high set-up may be for you.

Feel free to correct me. I'd hate to think that I was always right. My wife keeps me humble and you are free to keep me humbler.

Last edited by Guest 928; 11-22-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Opinions about guitars are welcome. Comments and opinions directed at members are not.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Guest 928

There seem to be a variety of opinions regarding set-up.

Last edited by Guest 928; 11-22-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I believe that there is a difference in both projection and tone with set up. I come from the old school, nylon string guitars. Such guitars used to have very high set ups--those create more string tension and produce enhanced projection and different tone. With the event of electronics, nylon string instruments could move to cut-a-ways and lower set-ups--a la Chet Atkins.

The point is, I think, if it's acoustic projection you want, then a high set-up is for you. Quit whining and build up some finger power.

Again, feel free to correct me. I'd hate to think that I was always right. My wife keeps me humble (as you can see), and you are free to keep me humbler.
Don't worry, Evan, you are not right this time.

Higher tension will increase projection, but if we achieve it with a high saddle instead of a longer scale, than we not only end up with a less playable guitar, but one with intonation issues as well. Course for a high action to offer that much more tension, it would have to be really high, probably unplayable IMO. I have played hundreds of guitars before, and after having the action lowered, and I concur with Rob, there is little to no tonal difference.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Guest 928

I like a low set up, but with nylon string guitars you don't have to go too low before you start getting string-slap. High tension strings help. So, I haven't been able to run with too high a set up because of the distortion in intonation and I haven't been able to go too low because of string-slap. My solution with all of my past CF guitars has been to send them to Michael and let him do the dialing.

Last edited by Guest 928; 11-22-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:37 PM

Whew, now that that's all behind us, I'd like to turn the thread back to it's intended purpose of impressions of the OF660. I recently had an artist who picked up an OF660w1 and reached out to me for a trip he was making to China - where he was going to the taylor swift concert. We helped him organize a detour to Xaimen and I treated him to lunch and a ferry ride to Gulangyu - a nearby island that has some fun pubs and parks. Came to find out he loved traveling with the guitar and even managed to smuggle it into the concert! Haha!

(Once you travel on a plane with this guitar, you'll be the happiest guitarist around!)

Here are a few pics:

[URL="http://www.journeyinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_5467.jpg[/URL]

Old 11-20-2015, 02:07 PM

Captain J

I hope that is true. I enjoy the common interest we have in carbon fiber guitars. I know many of the long time adopters of these instruments and those that play them. Its not a large community compared to those who like 'wood'.

Still folks like Evan have brought nylon string versions of carbon fiber to us. Often, him being the first custom order that allow other to see if they like it and purchase one. He has been pretty leading the charge on this and is on that bleeding edge. When it comes to carbon fiber and nylon strings Evan is kind of an expert. Not everyone here would know that.

Thanks for taking the time to encourage us about the forum. I needed it.

Last edited by riorider; 11-22-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:36 PM
Guest 928

Yo, Rob;

I thought that David poses some real questions regarding set up. Much of my knowledge regarding set up comes from Hideo kaminmoto, in his book Complete Guitar Repair. As he notes, set up is one of the most important concerns of guitar players.

Your foray intro CF is fascinating enough, but your venture into the removable neck is even more fascinating. I bought a Voyage Air just to see if it was possible to maintain a reasonable set-up with a removable neck--it is. I think that Bruner, a European brand also made a few CF guitars with a foldable/removable neck--but that brand has gotten very quiet regarding the production of such a CF guitar.

And so, in, in my book, your venture into the CF world is enhanced by your foray into the world of foldable/removable/hinged musical instruments. Your persistence and vision have appealed to me, so David's interest in set-up interests me as well.

I am interested in your take on set-up and really interested in how you will deal with the issue with a nylon string guitar. Also, as I've noted, I am curious as to whether you will produce a non-folding/removable neck CF guitar with a reduced weight?? Pugnacious and persistent. eb

Last edited by Guest 928; 11-22-2015 at 03:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber