The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-30-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default OK, the hum got me ticked.

I took my pedal board apart yesterday trying to figure out why I get a hum.
Checked all my cables thinking that I had a bad one, but they are all good.

I have the following pedals;
Guitar to
MXR COMP
DISPATCH MASTER
MXR TORINO OVERDRIVE
CORONA CHORUS +
HOF
WAMPLER LATTITUDE
TRIO BAND CREATOR to amp.

If I go directly into the TRIO BAND CREATOR then to amp, I don't get a hum.

If I take the TRIO BAND CREATOR off then hook up all the pedals inline, I don't get a hum.

I isolated each one individually and all is well until I plug in the Trio Band Creator.

What am I missing?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Are you running the standard power supply that came with the trio? If so try moving that power supply and cord away from your other power supply cords. I’ve heard/read sometimes if they power supply lines are all together it causes hum issues
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 05-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Are you running the standard power supply that came with the trio? If so try moving that power supply and cord away from your other power supply cords. I’ve heard/read sometimes if they power supply lines are all together it causes hum issues
I'm not. I'm using the truetone 1 spot for all the pedals.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
You got me thinking about the power supply so I disconnected the Truetone 1 spot and used the power supply that came with the Trio and all is good. For whatever reason, the hum was caused by all the pedals powered by the 1 spot.

Thank you!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
You got me thinking about the power supply so I disconnected the Truetone 1 spot and used the power supply that came with the Trio and all is good. For whatever reason, the hum was caused by all the pedals powered by the 1 spot.

Thank you!
Did you have one last 1 spot hanging out unused? It needs the cap and maybe a dash of tape to hold it on. I have heard of folks having hum with 1 spot. I have never had a problem myself. Glad you got it sorted.

rct
Old 05-30-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Thank you!
Yeah, this is why some people use a source with isolated individual jacks like the Voodoo Labs Pedalpower stuff. It's very common for a 1Spot to produce this kind of hum with lots of pedals, or with some individual pedals. Don't get me wrong, they're great in most cases (I use one for my acoustic board) but they definitely have their limitations.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Happy to hear it’s been sorted!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 05-30-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

The darn power supply didn't cross my mind until PTony mentioned it.
You live and learn.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:53 AM

The problem is likely not that a factory fresh 1 Spot is problematic, but over time some (likely electrolytic) capacitor in the 1 Spot started to fail. Capacitors tend to short, burn up the short, and thus are healed at a state of lower capacitance (repeated a few times and you might have trouble). Eventually they are too low for the intended purpose which will be more noticeable as you draw more current from the 1 Spot (powering all your pedals was the threshold this time). Heat accelerates this kind of problem (don't leave your electronics exposed to sun light).

Another problem with low end electronics products is they might not be factory tested for some specifications (in this case for noise under high current) and a few bad ones are even among the brand new ones.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The problem is likely not that a factory fresh 1 Spot is problematic, but over time some (likely electrolytic) capacitor in the 1 Spot started to fail. Capacitors tend to short, burn up the short, and thus are healed at a state of lower capacitance (repeated a few times and you might have trouble). Eventually they are too low for the intended purpose which will be more noticeable as you draw more current from the 1 Spot (powering all your pedals was the threshold this time). Heat accelerates this kind of problem (don't leave your electronics exposed to sun light).

Another problem with low end electronics products is they might not be factory tested for some specifications (in this case for noise under high current) and a few bad ones are even among the brand new ones.
You get what you pay for. I bought the Truetone because it was inexpensive.

I need to replace the power source on the electric board, I can use the Truetone 1 spot for my acoustic pedals (3)

What do you folks recommend? Voodoo Labs Pedalpower?
I see that Truetone makes a 1 spot PRO

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...m_term=160x600

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:58 AM

I also recently discovered that my OneSpot was causing a hum on my acoustic oriented pedalboard. I bought a Strymon R30 power supply and all is well.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You get what you pay for. I bought the Truetone because it was inexpensive.
I am an electrical engineer and here's the bad news. For practical purposes, all electrolytic capacitors have a lifetime rating of 1000 hours at elevated temperature (that's why CFL bulbs fail in our lifetimes). No matter how much you spend some are going to fail. A more expensive product might last longer, might be better from the get go, and might not. I suspect another $20 1 Spot like adapter will work perfectly for you and last forever because the statistics support that out come.

The fanciest power supplies with isolated outputs are essentially separate power supplies for each output. They are, due to the extra complexity, more likely to fail (meaning one of the outputs gets noisy or dies all together).

Nothing electrical you can buy at Musicians Friend is military spec. It is all consumer grade and except for obvious mechanical differences, about the same reliability.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-31-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I am an electrical engineer and here's the bad news. For practical purposes, all electrolytic capacitors have a lifetime rating of 1000 hours at elevated temperature (that's why CFL bulbs fail in our lifetimes). No matter how much you spend some are going to fail. A more expensive product might last longer, might be better from the get go, and might not. I suspect another $20 1 Spot like adapter will work perfectly for you and last forever because the statistics support that out come.

The fanciest power supplies with isolated outputs are essentially separate power supplies for each output. They are, due to the extra complexity, more likely to fail (meaning one of the outputs gets noisy or dies all together).

Nothing electrical you can buy at Musicians Friend is military spec. It is all consumer grade and except for obvious mechanical differences, about the same reliability.

Thank you so much for that info.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I took my pedal board apart yesterday trying to figure out why I get a hum.
Checked all my cables thinking that I had a bad one, but they are all good.

I have the following pedals;
Guitar to
MXR COMP
DISPATCH MASTER
MXR TORINO OVERDRIVE
CORONA CHORUS +
HOF
WAMPLER LATTITUDE
TRIO BAND CREATOR to amp.

If I go directly into the TRIO BAND CREATOR then to amp, I don't get a hum.

If I take the TRIO BAND CREATOR off then hook up all the pedals inline, I don't get a hum.

I isolated each one individually and all is well until I plug in the Trio Band Creator.

What am I missing?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know if this will help you or not. I've got dozens of pedals that I don't use, and last year tried a few new choices. Great sound, but too much hum, no matter what. Tried changing/checking everything, finally I bought a power source called a Zuma, and problem solved. The effects pedals are all completely quiet whether battery or a/c powered. I've also had to insulate several electric guitars with copper tape to reduce hum. Good luck to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars