The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

It comes down to writing a good song. Period. If you can write a good song, you can develop a guitar style that fits, and sometimes three chords and the truth works. Do it for forty years and you become a fare guitar player too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-01-2021, 02:45 PM

OK. Two players come to mind here.

First is Bill Frisell. He is an absolute master of his craft, an incredible musician, and a kind soul whose humanity shines through in everything he does. He has some pretty avant grade stuff in his bag — maybe not quite the point of this thread; but also creates some of the most elegant sound out there. His music is defines the term "understated". He makes some fairly complex stuff sound deceptively simple, and in doing so he creates some exquisite and approachable work. Check out his song "Keep Your Eyes Open".

Another name comes from the past. I came to realize after a week or so on this forum that we have fairly good representation from the geezer contingent. Any of you who were paying attention to the Austin scene back in the late 70s - early 80s will likely remember Uncle Walt's Band. If you don't know them you are in for a treat. Acoustic trio with great guitar work, sweet three-part harmonies, incredible writing, and solid musicianship all around. Champ Hood was one of the band and had an absolutely beautiful flat picking style. Simple, clean and never excessive. Always tasty. Lyle Lovett was a huge fan of these guys. Check them out if you have not heard them. Champ's work on the song "Dish Wiped Clean" is so **** sweet.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

John Prine. I view his guitar playing as a perfect frame surrounding an incredible painting.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaam View Post
OK. Two players come to mind here.

First is Bill Frisell. He is an absolute master of his craft, an incredible musician, and a kind soul whose humanity shines through in everything he does. He has some pretty avant grade stuff in his bag — maybe not quite the point of this thread; but also creates some of the most elegant sound out there. His music is defines the term "understated". He makes some fairly complex stuff sound deceptively simple, and in doing so he creates some exquisite and approachable work. Check out his song "Keep Your Eyes Open".

[comments removed for space]
Yes! Bill Frisell...

Tony
Old 12-01-2021, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
John Prine. I view his guitar playing as a perfect frame surrounding an incredible painting.
Well, you know what JP said about capos ''Thank God for capos, otherwise all my songs would be in the same 3 chords!''
Old 12-01-2021, 03:31 PM

Neil Diamond, and/or whoever he had playing on his various recordings, always prettty simple, always sounded perfect.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Glen Campbell. An incredible technical player whose own songs evoked a beautiful simplicity despite what he was capable of.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I love John Hurt and hear what you guys are saying, but I don't think of him as simple player at all. Lot's of people can play his tunes, but very few can play them with the same groove that John had.
Was wondering the same. Mr Hurt's melody lines are simple, what John Hurt plays on guitar is far from simple.

Go though "Payday" a few times w/ headphones and be humbled.

Same w/ Hubert, might appear to be simple, try and play it properly and get the timing correct,..

As many folks have responded, John Prine. Beautifully simple. Bobby Dylan is seldom mentioned but he's a great acoustic guitarist at what's most important, playing the song.

What I admire are great guitar players who can do anything but choose to play simple and economically. My friend Oliver Wood (the Wood Brothers and a solo career) comes to mind. He can play Coltrane solos, he chooses direct and spontaneous. Bill Frisell though complex for sure, presents his ideas in a thoughtful, measured, deceptively simple way.

John Leventhal on acoustic or electric is another, never overplays. Always beautifully concise. There are times you don't even know he's there, it's just the song, of course it's Rosanne Cash singing,..
Old 12-01-2021, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
Mississippi John Hurt.
Definitely beautiful.

Simple until you try to play it!

But I have to agree, with that caveat, and also John Prine.

Anyone mention Kris Kristofferson?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-01-2021, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

When we listen to somebody play simply AND make it sound interesting, we should realize that this is an art unto itself. Simple and boring is easy, simple and interesting is not.

This is what really intrigues me about both Jimmy Quango and Lex Von Sumayo. I can certainly learn their arrangements, as can anybody who has been playing guitar for some time. However, coming up with an arrangement that simple AND that reflects the original feel of the tune in an interesting manner, well that is a whole other story. That is creativity.

Tony
Old 12-01-2021, 06:30 PM

Elliott Smith

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-01-2021, 09:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Haven't read the whole thread, so not if someone already mentioned David Lindley.

Listen to the last minute of this first track:

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 12-01-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:32 AM

Bill Frisell will always be the player I want to be when I grow up:

https://youtu.be/6cORcUqbLAU
Old 12-02-2021, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz View Post
Bill Frisell will always be the player I want to be when I grow up:

https://youtu.be/6cORcUqbLAU
I'm a big admirer of Bill Frisell and enjoy his music a lot. But for his normal stuff, I'm not sure "simple" applies at all. With all the loop pedals and layers of sound it's really next-level Galaxy Brain stuff.

But its harmonic sensibility that really draws me in. He can turn almost any commonly-known tune into something that only Bill Frisell could even imagine, must less play.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-02-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
It comes down to writing a good song. Period. If you can write a good song, you can develop a guitar style that fits, and sometimes three chords and the truth works. Do it for forty years and you become a fare guitar player too.
i see the truth in that. but there's a lot more to guitar playing than 3 chords to support a voice, no?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion