The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-27-2021, 05:20 PM

Default Cole Clark & a Bridge Doctor

Hi, thankyou for reading.

Has anyone fitted or tried to fit a "Bridge Doctor" system to a Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 ?
The cheaper wood block and adjustable dowel model of the two that Stewmac sells)

This Fat Lady model has a piezo under saddle pickup with a sizable frame under the bridge, which is held place by 2 x screws through the top of the bridge.

I think it just might fit, as the bridge doctor has 3 x mounting hole positions for north/south movement, but would like to be sure before ordering.

Regards ,
Old 11-27-2021, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I think that you will be disappointed with the result. The bd rotates the bridge but doesn't necessarily lower it in relation to the neck. Your saddle may well sit at the same height relative to the neck angle. Plus, from my experience of fitting one, the guitar may lose some resonance and volume. The same sort of magnitude of loss that you get with a heavy sound hole p/u.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-27-2021, 07:31 PM

Thanks Robin, I have read mixed reviews on the BD.

My own limited experience with 2 fitments was positive though. One was a gradual and worthwhile (action-wise) reduction in the 'belly' hump (which allowed saddle improvements) with no noticeable tone change.

The other guitar was hump reduction, a noticeable improvement in tuning stability and a brighter tone, the latter possibly due to a better break angle through being able to fit a taller than before saddle.

Anyway, if the BD wont fit in the Cole Clark "Fat Lady 2" , it will probably have to have an extra tone bar brace, which Id rather not do.

One advantage of the BD is if it doesnt reduce the hump and /or sound qualities,, it can be easily removed undamaged, as long as you dont glue in the mounting screw pearl dot in the bridge!

Anyone fitted one (or tried to) to a Cole Clark FL 2 ?
Old 11-28-2021, 03:26 PM

i dont know how convenient it might be for you, but could you contact Cole Clark and see if they can either repair the guitar or replace some parts? They use several unique construction methods, so that might be best.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:22 AM

Thanks Taylor. It is an option, although even the freight cost would be a deterrent, at this stage anyway. That's why I'm happy to experiment with the bridge doctor, as the Cole Clark spanish heel /integral neck construction makes a neck reset nigh impossible, which leaves any fix that procedure usually addresses down to the bridge area.

So I think at this stage, anything non-destructive and reversible to reduce the belly bump as a better platform for the bridge and/or saddle work is worth a shot. The BD will cost around $60AU delivered from StewMac, and if it doesn't improve the hump,, at least I can sell it "as new"or use it on something else.

Just not worth buying it until I hope someone can tell me they've tried it and it does fit on this model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair