The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-27-2021, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Looper

Hey guys. Just bought an electric and amp....

I am an average player... mostly acoustic (I do gig in a duo) ... but would like to play around at home more when I have free time.

I would like to buy a looper, but my head gets dizzy with the options. My life is complicated as is, so simpler is better... but I would love to have a simple looper, and even percussion as an option. I see the RC-5 but the thing scares me.

Any advice for simple loopers? I suppose I could get a Ditto and just stop there.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Hey Sal, congrats on your new guitar and amp.
I really love this https://www.ehx.com/products/720/

11 places to store loops, good sound, but most importantly, easy to use. 2 switches for loop and stop. Just real good.
Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 08-27-2021, 07:57 AM

I have a Boss RC-1. It's a basic, very easy to use looper. The only downside is that it doesn't store loops. If I play a loop that I want to keep, I just record it on my phone so I remember it and then play it back onto the looper. I use it more for a practice tool than anything.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 08-27-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hey Sal, congrats on your new guitar and amp.
I really love this https://www.ehx.com/products/720/

11 places to store loops, good sound, but most importantly, easy to use. 2 switches for loop and stop. Just real good.
Hope this helps.
I use the EHX also, it sounds good and it's easy to use. I've owned a couple of the Ditto pedals and when they work they work well. However a little research will show you that they have a high failure rate. That was my experience as well.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Thank you guys. EHX it is. And Joe... I have a wedding tomorrow but I'll ship you that pickup on Sunday. Or at least pack it for Monday
Old 08-27-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Thank you guys. EHX it is. And Joe... I have a wedding tomorrow but I'll ship you that pickup on Sunday. Or at least pack it for Monday
Let us know how you like the EHX. Sounds like you just want to use it at home?
Old 08-27-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Will do Dru. Yes - I will only use it at home. to play to record... but not live.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:11 PM

I have a Ditto. Simple, works great. I prefer to use it over the looper in my Helix.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cool, thnx Sal.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 08-28-2021, 11:52 AM

Before you buy that EHX looper, let me add one other feature you may like ... some kind of visual alert to let you know when the loop is ending.

I owned a Ditto but I missed having a looper that let me store the loops and I also wanted something to sort of show me when the loop was ending as I just kept missing the "beat" somehow.

I got one like this for less than one fourth of that EHX cost ... which doesn't have that indicator.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27409582154...75.c101224.m-1

Mine is in white but I think that black background is even better and makes the LEDs stand out better.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-29-2021, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Guys. Thanks again for weighing in…

I narrowed it to the Boss Rc-1 and the EHX 360, and 720. I was about to just get the 720, but I remembered I have an old plastic Boss Pedal box, and if I for some reason want to gig a little, a pedal that goes into that box is not a bad idea?

The RC-1 does have that visual loop display too. I think I may do this one instead.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Hey guys. Just bought an electric and amp....

I am an average player... mostly acoustic (I do gig in a duo) ... but would like to play around at home more when I have free time.

I would like to buy a looper, but my head gets dizzy with the options. My life is complicated as is, so simpler is better... but I would love to have a simple looper, and even percussion as an option. I see the RC-5 but the thing scares me.

Any advice for simple loopers? I suppose I could get a Ditto and just stop there.
I have the ditto looper. It's as straightforward as you can get. Press once to record. Press again to play, press again to overdub. Double press to stop, hold, to erase.

If you press once and hold while it's being played, your first overdub will only be deleted but you can get it back by doing the same thing.

The only thing I don't like is there's no battery compartment.

The Ditto is simple and great, but I want more features so I'm looking to get the RC-5 to upgrade.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:46 PM

Default BOSS RC-1

My instructor just had me buy a Boss RC-1 for the next phase of my lessons- playing blues riffs over looped blues chords. I got a mint one from reverb for around $90.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Guys. Thanks again for weighing in…

I narrowed it to the Boss Rc-1 and the EHX 360, and 720. I was about to just get the 720, but I remembered I have an old plastic Boss Pedal box, and if I for some reason want to gig a little, a pedal that goes into that box is not a bad idea?

The RC-1 does have that visual loop display too. I think I may do this one instead.
FYI, The EHX 720 and EHX 1440 both have a count down display that can be selected. No matter what length your loop is the display counts down from 10 to let you visually cue into when the end of the loop length is coming up.

It's useful if you're doing really long loops of if you are recording the entire song.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:27 AM

I have a Ditto X2 and find it very easy to use. No drum tracks though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars